Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Left foot forward?
  • oldtennisshoes

I’m right footed. If I snowboarded I’d be regular. When I descend I have my left foot forward.

It’s been suggested to me that I’m doing it wrong, but I’m not convinced. I guess there might be something in having the dominant leg forward on very steep descents.

whaddya think?

alexpalacefan

I think you should be using both.

APF

chopchop
    Free Member

I’m the same as you, I get cramp in my left sometimes so I switch about but it doesn’t feel natural. I feel better with my stronger leg at the rear to manipulate the back wheel as needed.

i suppose you just have to do what feels right?

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m very right footed, skate/snowboard goofy, left foot forward on bike, left leg is stronger and I can balance on it way better than the right.

In the spirit of recommending what you’ve got, I reckon you should do what I do 🙂

ashweee
    Free Member

I always thought it was odd that I’m right handed but ride left foot forward.

If I try right foot forward it feels strange and my whole body position feels off.

colp

I’m very left footed, right handed, ride regular on a board and right foot forward on the bike. It’s a mess.

malv173
    Free Member

Left- handed,  ride right foot forward. Came across some  advice on BikeJames.com that having your inside foot forward may be helpful when cornering, so I’ve been trying it out. Not the most natural feeling so far, but improving with practice.  Are you uncomfortable descending as you do?  If not, don’t worry.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Left-handed, right-footed, skate goofy but push with right foot, right foot forward on bike, play single-handed sports left-handed but two-handed sports right-handed. Watch on left wrist, fork in left hand. Oh, and I use scissors with my right hand..

P20

I can descend left forward but it feels wrong and can be off putting

oldtennisshoes

Glad that’s sorted then 🤣

psycorp
    Free Member

I’m the same. Right handed/footed yet skate and snowboard goofy and ride left foot forward.

I’m just odd.

nicko74

I ride left foot forward, but never boarded so don’t know how I board.

Used to play havoc with my NDS crank and bottom bracket before HT2 cranks came along with their pinch bolt – my non-drive side crank would invariably unscrew over time, sometimes trashing the taper.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Wait. What??!   I’m right handed. I’m right footed. But always have left foot forward when descending. I thought that was pretty “normal “???

ta11pau1

Same, right handed/footed, I’ve surfed/snowboarded and was regular footed (right foot back, left foot forward) in that, and when windsurfing always felt more comfortable with the right foot back, same stance.

Left foot forward on the MTB. Makes perfect sense to me.

slowoldman

No idea, I’m a skier.

ojays
    Free Member

Right handed, goofy skating and right forward, no idea how normal.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Right handed, wakeboard goofy (wouldn’t see me on one of those silly trays on snow!) and my ‘dominant’ foot for descending on a bike is right foot forward.

However, much like working on my wakeboarding to get comfortable with switch, I’ve worked on my pedal stance so I feel comfortable on either foot. Oddly, descending on the gnarmac bike has helped me improve the balance between feet.

hot_fiat

Skate/Surf/Board regular = left foot forward. That’s how I descend too.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Left foot forward. It tends to be defined by which way you prefer to spin if you jump up. I spin to the right so the rear foot goes at the rear to push round.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Rear foot at the rear?   Must give that a try.

martymac

I’m right handed, ride a board regular, but descend left foot forward.

i’m also left eye dominant.

oldtennisshoes

Interesting. The boy is right footed, handed and snowboards regular, but he insists on right foot forward on the bike.

The girl is right footed and right handed but insists on skate and snowboarding goofy (except on a drag lift)

Seems like there’s no hard and fast way to determine based on dominant foot/hand.

mark90
    Free Member

Very right handed. Snowboard regular, left foot forward, very poor at switch riding. Ride right foot forward, very poor at riding left foot forward. Go figure….

bgascoyne
    Free Member

write left handed, kick/tennis/cricket right handed/foot, “normal” on skate board, right foot forward on bike. Left foot forward feels all wrong!

joat

Right handed, right foot forward. But I was asked when not riding which it was and I thought it was the other way round, feels awkward with left foot forward.

weeksy

LEft handed, right foot forward, i’ve never boarded or skiied.

Bez

Right handed for everything except extracting natural debris from nasal cavities. Too crap at snowboarding to remember which way round I was. Left eye dominant. Kick a ball with my right foot. Left foot forward on the bike.

My theory on the footedness on a bike was that the dominant foot is better at the rear because that’s the foot which provides the control; the forward foot only provides power. (Not that I made a conscious decision: that’s just my theory of why I instinctively ride left foot forward.)

But then my son is left handed and also rides left foot forward.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m a bit of everything. Skate / snowboard left foot forward, bike right foot forward (though I can ride left forward reasonably well), write left handed, brush teeth with both (though not at the same time).

Surely if it feels right it is?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m cackhanded but ride leftfeet forward.

nickc

Lots of people are cross dominant I think  (right handed/left footed, or vice versa) There’s a theory that no one is really ever ambidextrous, just dominant for a particular task…

Right handed (mostly) and left foot forward.

warpcow
    Free Member

Lots of people are cross dominant I think  (right handed/left footed, or vice versa) There’s a theory that no one is really ever ambidextrous, just dominant for a particular task…

That’s what I heard too. Through years of skiing, kayaking and other stuff I’ve learnt that the only thing my left hand is dominant in is writing.  People would look at me writing and think I’m left-handed, but every other ‘side specific’ task I do with my right.  Cycling, I’m left foot forward, which would make sense if I was predominantly right-handed.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If I know the road I’m freewheeling down, I think I usually have the foot forward that will be on the inside of the next bend, so a quick back-pedal to take the corner with pedals at ~6/12 o’ clock.

avdave2

Right handed right foot forward always fall off to the left.

PrinceJohn

Left handed, Right footed, mouse right handed, bowl right handed, bat left or right handed, right or left foot forward… Either very confused or immensely talented.

trailwagger
    Free Member

If traversing the side of a hill then I have the “outside foot” forward ie the one on the side of the drop away.

townydc
    Free Member

Not noticed it when i descend but i always find if i’m wearing spd’s ill always click out with the left foot first.

might be something to do with kerb location, although i’ll do this even when i’m on the trail.

Digby

wouldn’t see me on one of those silly trays on snow!

Careful sweetie! 😉

Like many others I’m regular skate/surf/snowboard so left foot forward – same on the bike when heading for a jump or drop-off etc!

I can track-stand forever when left foot forward … can barely do 30 sec right foot forward, but I’m working on it!

according to my physio the muscles in my left leg are more developed but this might be due to injury in the right

Mainly right handed, but often use the left for ‘variety’ …

steve_b77
    Free Member

Predominately right footed, but I’m ok with my left at football.

Right handed when it comes to bat / racket / stick sports, throw right handed.

Left foot forwards 90% of the time, can go right but it feels odd on the bike.

Hold my fork in my right hand, write right handed.

Can clean my teeth with either.

Used to fish a lot, rod & reels set up with the reel to wind left handed, rod in right hand. Can use a catapult either sided, held my pole right handed, but could easily swap to left as and when I wanted to or the weather conditions dictated it.

trumpton
    Free Member

right handed, ride snowboard goofy and right foot forward on mtb. It’s called your chocolate foot.

dirkpitt74

Left handed but right (or is it wrong??) foot forward.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Left foot forward?’ is closed to new replies.