Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Leeds/Bradford people – where to from Apperley Bridge?
  • ctznsmith
    Free Member

Still learning my local area and I’ve got quite a nice hour* loop that is 60% off road/40% road I guess which goes down from Pudsey to Apperley Bridge and back through Calverley woods.

However if I want something longer what are my options from Apperley bridge off road (a little bit of road and then off again)?

*one man’s hour is anothers 40 minutes. 😉

shredder
    Free Member

Just up the road in Thackley loads to go at.
    Along the canal towards Thackley up into Buck woods have a mess around on the jump track. Back out over the river and along into Esholt loads of stuff in there including loads of new DH style trails (nothing too bad)
    Or along canal up to Baildon moor down onto the glen over to St Ives Bingley Bash
    Up to Otley around the Chevin.
    My locals involve Thackley Esholt Calverley back o Ravo (local term!) back through Calverley. Or variants of

ctznsmith
    Free Member

If someone sends me a GPX could I load into Garmin connect to get an idea on a map and could a kind soul do that?

I know some of the Chevin stuff (or know who to ask for that area), wanted to avoid having to climb that hill up to Yeadon! 😉

tmb467
    Free Member

bingley bash is a great ride both directions, as is the ride over to and back from Shipley Glen

there’s a nice loop in Calverley Woods, Esholt and Thackley are ok and theres a good jaunt out of Pudsey towards Tong / New Farnley

Otley chevin isnt really worth the journey to get there (imho) but its a nice enough ride. You could carry on up to Stainburn tho.

If you’re in Pudsey, the train out to Hebden Bridge / Todmorden opens up a lot of stuff too. Get yerself the West Yorkshire Mountain Biking Book for more information or email me as I’m always up for a local blast

lasty
    Free Member

To avoid the hill up to Yeadon cut left 1/4 the way up, past the sewage farm and up through esholt woods ?? 😆

shredder
    Free Member

Dont have Garmin but all pretty obvious on a map. The Chevin ride I do works through Esholt then use the old railway line to work up into Yeadon can avoid a lot of road slog. Out at the back of the airport have a play both sides of the Chevin down and back into Guiseley and down and back into Esholt.

RobinL

If you cycle along the canal from the bridge towards Leeds during office hours – look up and wave at the offices opposite to annoy me …. I’d rather be out there than stuck inside …… 😀

Sancho
    Free Member

You have many options, you can go out through Calverley, and up past the blue pig to access the trails out towards Pudsey, black Carr woods, and Tong etc.

You can go along the canal for a play in Bramley fall woods, then head up through Horsforth (woodside quarry) and then do Adel, Meanwood.

You can link that up with some loops through golden Acre, cookridge and horsforth to put a massie loop in.

There are lots of options in Thackley, Esholt, Bingley, Shipley glen, Baildon, and Ilkley Moor, you can cross the moor and come back through menston, Guiseley, esholt.

My favourite is to go through bingley, cottingley, and head out to Ogden Reservoir do a loop and come back, or alternatively, go out to Haworth.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Avoided the Tong side so far as the routes I’ve walked round there are possibly beyond my skill level on a bike!

Sancho is there an offroad route from Horsforth to Adel/Meanwood? Used to live in Meanwood so know around there a bit better.

Will try to get out at the weekend and have an explore. 🙂

yoda
    Free Member

Drop me a message and I’d be glad to show you around some time. Know the whole west yorkshire area very well.Based near Shipley by the way.

Sancho
    Free Member

Don’t ride with Yoda, it will end in tears.

Im planning a local ride on sunday if you fancy, I like to start after breakfast at the bridge cafe.
    And yoda will be fishing on Sunday 😉

Sancho
    Free Member

There is a number of routes from Horsforth to Meanwood, using a mix of road and bits of wood., or go via Scotland Lane and then cookridge, and Golden Acre

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Thanks for the offers to meet up and ride, I will probably be in touch in the future. Sadly a lot of my rides are last minute depending on other commitments, Sunday’s are generally out as it’s the day we go out and do things as a family.

Oh and I ride a bizarre bike (see the 29ers thread) for varying reasons so you may not want to be seen dead with me. 😉

pennine
    Free Member

+1 to all of the above. Endless possibilities.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Leeds/Bradford people – where to from Apperley Bridge?’ is closed to new replies.