Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Leeds Cycling Campaign – first meeting next Weds 10th April, The Adelphi.
  • WillC9999
    Free Member

For those attempting to cycle in and around Leeds, and who might want to do something about making it less rubbish, the first meeting of the Leeds Cycling Campaign is next Weds evening (10th April) 7.30pm in The Adelphi pub in Leeds (upstairs function room).

There’ll be an update on current campaigns in Leeds and an open forum for ideas and feedback. Everyone is welcome, particularly those that *don’t* cycle – if you’d like to, why not? What would make you get on your bike?

Leeds is pretty much at the bottom of UK cities for cycling. We are going to change this.

Hope to see some of you Leodensians there!

Dylan08
    Free Member

Just put this in my diary and will endevour to attend. Commuted in and around Leeds city centre for a few years (LS6 resident) , no longer have much need to enter the city but still do most my commuting via bike. 🙂

WillC9999
    Free Member

Cheers Dylan, look forward to meeting you and hearing what you have to say!

unklehomered
    Free Member

I don’t live there at the moment, but I used to, and I likely will do again soon. I lived in Burley and commuted to Morley (exciting), later lived in high Headingley and commuted to the city centre (less exciting, but frustrating in any number of ways). All I can say is this is desperately needed, keep us updated – if/when I move back I will certainly attend.

WillC9999
    Free Member

You are quite right, it’s dreadful. Keep and eye on the website/Facebook pages for updates.

zinzan
    Free Member

Err – I would have to disagree here regarding that “dreadful” comment.

Been riding off road in Leeds for years (double figures here), North Leeds mainly (but also multiple 50+ mile off road circumnavigations).

Yes most trails are not marked, but some are. Put some effort in and you will be rewarded!

Not sure about road or blacked cycle routes – “dreadful” might apply.

This is Singletrack isn’t it?

Discuss 🙂

ton

i have commuted into leeds for the last 19yrs, from wakefield and rothwell.
    it is truly horrendous, not one cycle friendly part on my whole commute.
    i can do the ride offroad all bar the last mile on a very muddy canalside and through parks…..this option is not too bad.

zinzan
    Free Member

“i can do the ride offroad all bar the last mile on a very muddy canalside and through parks…..this option is not too bad.”

And you don’t do the ride off road because ……???

Mud is good for the complexion you know.

ton

i do ride offroad……but a cycling campaign is for all cyclists and people who just ride a bike, not just for mountainbikers like yourself.

meehaja
    Free Member

Leeds is great for commuting by bike! (compared to Bradford)

ton

i think in general, the whole of west yorkshire is pretty shyte for cycle commuting.
    far too many lazy people doing nowt of a distance to work and such filling up the roads.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I won’t be attending but one thing you need to bring up if you have anyone attending from the council is why Leeds are not repairing the potholes. I have seen cars and cyclists having near misses as they attempt to avoid the potholes making already dangerous roads lethal.
    You can actually tell by the state of the roads when you enter Leeds. Hunslet Road just around the corner from the Adelphi is like something from a third world country.

bearnecessities

I won’t be attending but one thing you need to bring up if you have anyone attending from the council is why Leeds are not repairing the potholes.

I nearly died 3 times disappearing down the caverns along the A650 near Morley last night….first evening ride of the year too!

ton

i like the putty like tarmac that they are filling up the holes with.
    it pushes out within a couple of days and forms a big lip on the far side of the pothole.
    makes the hole even deeper. 😆

craigxxl
    Free Member

I nearly died 3 times disappearing down the caverns along the A650 near Morley last night….first evening ride of the year too!

Is that the ones between the Angel pub and Gildersome roundabout? I know there are some along there that would be classed as sink holes in any other country.

bearnecessities

Is that the ones between the Angel pub and Gildersome roundabout

That’s ’em, things of legend eh?! Serious matter though, potentially lethal to a cyclist like me on a mere 26″ 😀

craigxxl
    Free Member

Don’t worry when you come off and get run over by the numerous artics on that road at least the ambulance station is just down the road

ComradeD
    Free Member

I’m lucky with my commute as i only have to cycle from Headingley in to the town center. Most of it’s cycle path so i’ve never had any problems. I prefer it whens it busy, more fun weaving in and out of traffic

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Leeds Cycling Campaign – first meeting next Weds 10th April, The Adelphi.’ is closed to new replies.