Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Lee/Cragg Quarry status ?
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

Sorry if this is reinvigorating an older topic, but I could find any recent news…. I would like to venture up to Lee/Cragg some time this week.

Is it all OK, i.e. rideable ? What’s the status ?

I’ve ridden them both many times before, but not since about 2013.

I’m considering an evening ride too…..so presumably the usual parking area is a no-go zone after dark still ?

johnw1984
    Free Member

It’s all fine. Probably best it’s been for ages due to all the volunteer work they’re putting in up there.

Be horrendous tonight with this wind though!

grannyjone
    Free Member

Cragg is completely unrideable its completely covered in deep snow. Lee Quarry is okay, or it was yesterday.

The landslide that was effecting the red route is alright now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slackboy

There are flood warnings in place around Bacup, so I’d give it a miss.

binners

Roads already closed over this side with flooding. There’s water pouring off the tops. I’d give it a miss

grannyjone
    Free Member

At least Lee Quarry is rideable, the snow is very light around there, but parts of the connector trail, parts of Rooley Moor Road and Cragg is completely covered in deep unrideable snow.

Warning – the part of Rooley Moor road that cuts around the back of Cragg is currently flooded to horrendous levels.

chorlton
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if it still exists in the morning. 😯

DiscJockey
    Free Member

haha, top answers guys – I thought you were going to put me off with tales of huges land-slides and cordoned-off trails due to council funding cuts !

I actually like a bit of deep snow !

I’m not going ’til this Thursday evening, so the road flooding will be gone by then, maybe even a bit of the snow.

Johnw1984 – Great to hear about the volunteer trail diggers, where would be we all be without them ?

Can I just check – is the link track from Lee up to the top bridleway, and subsequent link up to Cragg all OK too ? I’ve never been 100% sure I’m on the right tracks in daylight, so don’t want anything too unfamiliar in the dark. I should dig out a GPX to take with me….

chorlton
    Free Member

Tell you what. I’ll go and find out for you tomorrow afternoon. It’s a while since I’ve been up there and it’s all calmed down now as regards the weather.

ulysse
    Free Member

Link road and both quarries both take water very well, you cant miss the link road as its signed both ends and as plain as owt.
    Id avoid Rammy, Helmshore Stubbins & edenfeild etc on the way in and drive to the end of the M66 and hook a right at the roundabout.
    Park at the back of the council offices instead of the side of the road if you expect it to be dark when you get back, but to be fair ive never had a car or van diddled with even next to the trail bottom

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373374502868052/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/53.6861/-2.2249&layers=CN

johnw1984
    Free Member

Sam who runs the Facebook group has made a massive effort in working with the council to keep it maintained.

Sorry, I meant it’s fine in general, probably not so much with the weather at moment 🙂

I was very tempted to have a look on Sunday though, but ended up just going to Rivington.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Nice one chaps – sounds good for a evening/night ride. It’s either that or a Hayfield/Jacobs/Edale/Rushup/Roych loop. Both are plenty scary in the dark !

grannyjone
    Free Member

You like a bit of deep snow ? You won’t like the snow up at the top in and around Cragg. You’ll be wishing you’d left your bike at Lee Quarry if you went up there. It’s full-on walking/pushing. Or at least, it was on Sunday.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I was riding Rivington today and was looking at Scout Moor in the distance and it looks like all the snow has gone. So both Cragg/Lee should both be alright now.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I cut through Cragg yesterday morning and there was not a hint of snow.

I think it was all a dream…

grannyjone
    Free Member

The place was a mess yesterday. Mud and puddles everywhere. Loads of Motorcross Bikes up there these days. Horrible when they’re about. Noisy and mess up the trail even more.
    One reason I go mountain biking rather than road biking is to get away from noisy motorised vehicles.

craig24
    Free Member

Thats not what I wanted to hear, shame as haven’t been up since last summer and it was riding very well. I was considering a visit, think I may give it a miss..

grannyjone
    Free Member

To be fair there has been a lot of rain recently though and the ride I did in the Peak District the day before was muddy as hell as well.

richardkennerley

Rode Lee and cragg a couple of weeks ago and it was all fine. The was two fellas trying to get a 4×4 up there though! They didn’t make it though

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The place was a mess yesterday. Mud and puddles everywhere. Loads of Motorcross Bikes up there these days. Horrible when they’re about. Noisy and mess up the trail even more.
    One reason I go mountain biking rather than road biking is to get away from noisy motorised vehicles

So report it, call 101, there is no right to ride up there unless they have landowners permission, it’s owned by Rossendale Council so they don’t have any unless it’s one of the trials events occassionally done

comfyman
    Free Member

Mud and puddles everywhere

Well, it has been raining…

It’s been dry and dusty for weeks; we just need a dry week and it’ll be well speedy again.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Yes I think normally Cragg and Lee are Okay as they were running well when I went a few months ago. Just not with the weather we’ve had recently.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Lee/Cragg Quarry status ?’ is closed to new replies.