Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lee Quarry Preparation?
  • robgarrioch

Hopefully visiting Lee Quarry this saturday while (not) visiting my GF’s folks in Ramsbottom (despite iffy-looking weather). Just wondering;
    – is it cyclable on a FS from Ramsbottom – think so
    – is waymarking easy to follow, or
    – is it easy to arrive 1st time & work out a decent lap off a board (will probably only have a couple of hours in the a.m.)
    – can anyone up there who spots a thin ugly guy clearly out of his depth on a Pitch Pro please laugh, point & shout abuse (or show me the way round)
    Ta.

Simon

It’s way marked and easy to follow. A lap takes around 20/30 minutes but you might want to stop and session various bits and have a play at the skills area and also have a go at the black option and the bits in the bottom of the quarry.
    It’s fun even when it’s wet.

MrSparkle

Have a play – you’ll love it. Trio off here cycled there from Bolton on her SS and competed in one of the Brownbacks rounds so I reckon you should manage ok from Rammy.

stumpyjon

You can get there Ok from Ramsbottom, 4/5 miles I’d guess. Go via Edenfield, bit of hill at the start but then downhill / flat for the rest of the way. Head for Bacup on the main A road that runs through Rossendale, watch out for Futures Park on your right towards Bacup. There are no signs for the Quarry from the road, go into the car park and take the lane from the back right up to the quarry.

There are map boards up and waymark arrows, not overly clear IMHO but they should get you around. When you get to the skills area, after the berms, take the trackway up towards the back of the quarry to continue on the red route. Beware the black is quite hard and the consequences of getting it wrong on the upper section could be quite nasty. In fac the whole quarry is at the upper end of the red / black grading scale. I would say the red is alot harder than the black at Llandegla for example.

If you’ve got pads wear them, it’s very rocky (it is a quarry after all). Have fun and stop and play in the skills area.

robgarrioch

Cool, thanks for those. Will pad up for first lap anyway, went round Laggan black a couple of months back & cant see it being more tech than that! Slow round at first I fancy.
    BTW, are there any food places nearby?
    Cheers.

robgarrioch

trio25
    Free Member

Easy enough to ride from ramsbottom, some cheeky stuff would let you do some of it off road, although I just went along the road when I went to the the brownbacks race and probably easier if you are not sure where to go.

montylikesbeer

The rose and bowl is ok for food on the way through on the right hand side (1 M before you get to the futures park) and their is a Chinese takeaway opposite the futures park

neil853
    Free Member

second the rose and bowl, chilli from there is well nice! 😀

stumpyjon

There's Marios a bit further into Bacup for Italian, Red Chilli in Bacup for a qaulity Chinese, couple of Indian takeaways and Lin's Garden for Chinese / Fish & chips. You won't starve.

lowey

Lee Quarry is Ace. You have got just about every sort of riding squeezed into a small area. Superb place for confidence building too.

higgo
    Free Member

If you're riding via Edenfield, I've got a route that will take you off-road all the way from Edenfield to the top of the quarry, sort of halfway round the lap.

Email me via my profile and I'll send it as either .trl, .gpx or .pdf (huge file)

peachos
    Free Member

yep all the way off road. try and get a blast down rooley moor road on the way back as well (really fast & rocky). you'll have to ride back up it though. some good riding around there.

robgarrioch

Cheers guys – I'll probably just ride the road unless that track's easy enough to find, only got a few hours on Saturday morning. Although, if a zone is found, maybe stay all day + sunday morning too! Might also zip up Holcombe Hill to the Pilgrims Cross, just because I've walked it so many times.. But I'll take purpose built too, any day!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

chances are, i'll be there saturday morning. possibly quite early on, 9.30ish or so…

robgarrioch

Hope to be round a first lap by then, weather depending. Xher – post-up on Friday if yer going & maybe I'll catch you there, roadie on a Large Pitch Pro with a light blue lid.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

will do. i'll probably be on a purple norco six and my mate will be on a red hardrock sport…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

bit late, but i'll be getting there at about 10ish tomorrow morning i think…

robgarrioch

Hopefully will have taken the route up that Higgo sent ( :-)), will keep eyes peeled. No doubt will get lost somewhere so timing is anyones guess!

robgarrioch

Apologies couldn't hook up with you guys, if you went. Didn't get there till 11.30 after a frustrating few hours of XC trying to achieve Higgo's route over the tops from Edenfield – so many wrong turnings… Should've taken less than an hour. Spent most of my energy getting there, but enjoyed the course, esp. the black bits. Just wish I'd driven over & had all resources ready. Next time..

xherbivorex
    Free Member

no worries, we didn't stay long actually as my pal was having back trouble so we only did one lap, played around a bit then got off home.

higgo
    Free Member

Didn't get there till 11.30 after a frustrating few hours of XC trying to achieve Higgo's route over the tops from Edenfield – so many wrong turnings…

Ooooops!

robgarrioch

Ought to qualify that by saying it was my absence of map reading ability that was the problem Higgo; your map was fine, if I'd only looked into it with a bit more detail, close-ups at trail junctions, reservoirs etc. But now know for next time.
    Night course in outdoors navigation looming, I fancy…!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry Preparation?’ is closed to new replies.