Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lee Quarry, politics, British cycling, new trails and you?
  • TonyL
    Free Member

This Saturday 5th Feb we have some members of the British Cycling xc team including Liam Killeen amongst others coming to do a bit of a PR exercise with local politicians for us. BC are using the quarry for training at the moment which is brilliant and I’m really keen to encourage it and in return they are providing us with a photo opportunity. Because of the Olympic link we seem to have quite a few local politicians turning up and I’m really keen that while they are there they see mountain biking as a positive and popular thing. So if you by chance have any free time Saturday morning please come and have a ride round at Lee Quarry the busier the site is Saturday morning the better! It might help persuade our politicians that these sort of projects are worth supporting and there is a good demand for them.

The British Cycling guys will be busy doing some coaching with the local kids mountain bike club by all means stop by and say hi but please let them have time with the kids club I’m hoping it will be really inspiring for the local kids to go out for a ride with the BC team.

Our little event with BC and the councillors starts at about 9.30 through till mid day. So if you fancy coming along and giving a bit of support just by having a ride round please do so.

Also we are starting construction on some new trails and repairing the current ones next week!

philfive
    Free Member

my daughter has been doing the kids coaching up there but she cant make it this saturday so i feel a bit of a dufus going on my own lol pity as i wouldn’t of minded meeting the xc team

TonyL
    Free Member

Come along and say hi! Has she been enjoying the sessions by the way?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    philfive
    Free Member

she has but the weather has been for all of them

miner29er
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up on this one Tony. I hope you get the place rammed on Saturday. Don’t know how long you’ve known about the event but less than 2 days notice isn’t a great deal for riders to alter weekend plans – even local riders.

Let us know how the day goes and Good Luck with it.

philfive
    Free Member

i got told tuesday also got invited to the meal at dinner 😀

TonyL
    Free Member

If we can carry the kids club on over the spring/summer they might get one or two days good weather!

highclimber
    Free Member

Have the Gypsies moved on since I was last there (approx two weeks ago)?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Hopefully the politicians will see the Gypsies and may make an effort to move them on, the council never seem to and they’re camped outside the council offices there!

highclimber
    Free Member

thats because they are a law unto themselves!

philfive
    Free Member

there has been the odd couple of nice days but most have been either wet or cold

TonyL
    Free Member

Travellers have gone now, council does move them on as quickly as they can but councils have to use the proper legal process and take in to account the rights of the travellers. That bit of road is currently unadopted so not as easy to move people on as you might think. It is in the process of being adopted which should help to ease the problem as the police will then have the powers to move people on pretty much straight away.

lowey

Best of luck Tony, but I dont think you could have picked a worse day for weather.

Thanks for all your hard work!

philfive
    Free Member

weather is looking a bit dodgy but the radar picture is showing no rain between 1000 and 1500 so fingers crossed…… it will be windy though.

miner29er
    Free Member

How did yesterday go Tony? Good turnout? Any feedback from the politicos?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry, politics, British cycling, new trails and you?’ is closed to new replies.