Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lee Quarry or Healy Nab for an intermediate ride
  • jonba
    Free Member

Chance to go riding at either of these two while visiting family next weekend. Was going to take my fiance but I was wondering which is best as I have no experience of either (although I know the area around Healy Nab as I used to live there a while ago).

She’s competent enough to get round Kielder Red or Glentress Red but is a little nervous after a recent crash so I’d rather not destroy her confidence completely by taking her somewhere too hard so she crashes again.

Looking for short distance with plenty of features packed in with the chance to build up from easy to heard stuff (hence Lee Quarry).We won’t have lots of time just a few hours so features separated by miles of moorland are less appealing.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Don’t know anything about Healy Nab.

Lee Quarry is pretty technical in sections, flowy in others, rock gardens/steps, one or two sections pretty hairy in terms of the consequences if you come off … may not be ideal for someone with dented confidence …

However, from Lee Quarry there’s now a link over to Cragg Quarry, which is more fast and flowy – your fincee might prefer this …

So, you could start from Lee, and if she doesn’t like it ride over to Cragg.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Healey nab is too short [ less than minute to ride I asssume] and a bit crap IMHO – I ride it on the way home most rides but would really not go out my way to ride it TBH
    It is much more of a downhill lite course or just a bermy undulation on the red. There is no way back up without pushing or a large round trip.
    It criss crosses and I suspect you could end up on the black by accident.
    LQ is a better option IMHO

crispo
    Free Member

Junky can do a loop of the nab in a minute 😯 Wowza!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Clearly I mean the downhill bit – hence the push up or large round trip bit.
    Perhaps you could have given some info to help the OP assuming you ride there?

Bunnyhop

Lee quarry would be ideal, as it’s not really a trail centre, more a skills centre.
    There are so many options to play around and practise your skills or just keep riding around the red, which is way marked.
    No facilities though, which I found difficult being a woman (if you know what I mean?)
    The trail back to the carpark is sweet.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆 i thought you had just linked back to this thread

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry or Healy Nab for an intermediate ride’ is closed to new replies.