Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Lee quarry- is it hard to navigate, or am I retarded?
  • Northwind

Popped into Lee Quarry on Friday for a quick ride… Found myself back at the start of the singletrack once, guessed (correctly) at some other directions to find more of the red, couldn’t find where it continues after the skills loop so ended up just riding down to the pumptracks, found part of the black by riding up past a sign that said no entry (to look at the frozen waterfalls…)

Some really lovely riding but is it actually as confusing as it seemed? Some signs might have been snowed under… Or am I, perhaps, a div?

(didn’t have time to go over to Cragg, no doubt I’d have ended up in Ireland if I’d tried anyway)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its been my one gripe too – poor signage around the ‘middle bit’ where the skills stuff is. Theres so many bits of trail you don’t know whats what, which way to ride it, where it goes etc.

Still good for a muck about though!

patriotpro
    Free Member

You are a div but the signage could be better, try finding the way to Cragg for example. It’s like hey don’t you to find it.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Trail map on pmba.org.uk is up to date.

Popocatapetl

i did the ST weekender last year. The XC loop was a 29 minute loop for the pros ( Nick craig Etc) Its a shame that its not better marked, but there are some superb high rise berms and a great DH route if you know where to find them!

Northwind

I had a look at the map afterwards (only had it on my phone in low res) and figured out one of the secrets- the red carrying on from the skills area off the back of the same climb that leads to the descents that go back to the woodwork etc.

Did eventually figure out that the best idea was generally to go up the most horrible looking climb.

Duggan

It does tend to all look the same in every direction

nick1962
    Free Member

Had the same problem when I went.

Stevelol
    Free Member

It can be disorienting, I go loads but still get a bit confused at the skinnies.

The red generally goes around the outside of the quarry, turn left after the 4 tables and follow the long flat double track type thing passing the red/red/black downhill start point.

creedy
    Free Member

My brother and some other mates got lost from lee to cragg. Put 2hrs on their day and they’ve all been there before!

matther01
    Free Member

Just follow my old girlfriend’s navigation technique…whichever direction you’re facing…it’s always North (priceless)

composite
    Free Member

Planning on going there this Sunday. Is there really still snow about?

EDIT: Does any one have an up to date GPX the link on the PMBA site is broken?

Northwind

There wasn’t much snow on the actual trails- I think maybe 2 or 3 decent sized drifts but easy enough to cross. But still a fair bit piled up at the sides which is why I reckon there might be some signs hidden.

composite
    Free Member

Ahh OK great. 🙂

justme
    Free Member

I know it well – happy to do a “show people round” ride if anyone wants 21st april or 5th may work for me
    Trails are pretty much clear of snow now there was only a tiny bit in crag on sun
    G

MadBillMcMad

I think the lack of clear signage is part of the appeal to me, though I do admit I know it well.

But if you just ride up anything that looks vaguely like a track, then see another track breaking off that takes your fancy & ride that you will have a great time.

But I do admit finding the link between Lee & Cragg can defeat people & it is not a moor to get lost on.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i think that part of the joy of lee quarry is that you can just ride around and if you see a bit of trail that looks like it might be fun, then ride it! if you don’t treat the place like any other trail centre (i.e. riding around in a procession, following signs), then you’ll have a fun time there.
    or, of course, enter our races (Brownbacks!) and we’ll make sure you have well signposted routes to follow!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve often suspected I know the way from being there before they put all the skills stuff in. But it is still a joy to ride round, need to get back there.

gonzy
    Free Member

lee quarry used to be one of my regular riding places…i was involved in the big lottery bid that was unsuccessful about 6 years ago…they then managed to find the funding to create what you have there today which is great but one of my main gripes has always been the lack of clear signage…even i’ve managed to lose my bearings several times…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve been lost up there too on the odd occasion, at night in low cloud or fog. 😳

robgarrioch

Definitely took a few rides round to become familiar, aint been for a year or so though so confused exasperation expected on next visit. Not as much as when I tried finding Cragg coming up from Edenfield though, decided was in the wrong spot when I came to the turbines a mile or two to the south. Found I missed the turn-off the Pennine way by a few metres

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Lee quarry- is it hard to navigate, or am I retarded?’ is closed to new replies.