Lee quarry, big yellow helicopter today, looked nasty!

Home Forum Chat Forum Lee quarry, big yellow helicopter today, looked nasty!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lee quarry, big yellow helicopter today, looked nasty!
  • ilovemygears

Hi just pooped on to see if any one knew what happened at lee quarry to day, was just geting up the big hill and a yellow rescue chopper took off…must have been a bad one, i really hope how ever it was was ok, just wanted to know if any one knew any thing about it…

Nope, however when we were there last autumn somebody had fallen down a big cliff. Lots of search and rescue typed and Police cordoning off the paths.

It does seem to have a lot of incidents..

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

Broken wrist, ankle and collar bone apparently. I’d been up there earlier and was at the northern end of the valley when I saw it flying in. I’m wondering if the next building project up there should be a helipad! Same at Gisburn.

project

RopeyReignRider – Member
    Nope, however when we were there last autumn somebody had fallen down a big cliff. Lots of search and rescue typed and Police cordoning off the paths.

It does seem to have a lot of incidents..

Posted 6 hours ago # Report-Post

and a few people who think they have riding ability, and obviously dont.

Hope the chap is ok after his fall.

ilovemygears

It was really windy yesterday as well, i didnt bother with the black route drop in to the bottom as i would have been blown off going around the corner..

There’s nothing that technical up there but like you say, it only takes a gust of wind to send you over the edge…

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

RopeyReignRider – Member
    There’s nothing that technical up there but like you say, it only takes a gust of wind to send you over the edge…

Relative to a riders ability.
    Surely a beginner versus someone of your experience will find it challenging ❓
    eg I like to keep my wheels on the ground so therefore would find the jumps/pump track challenging 💡

Well I can’t really jump at all but what I mean is that it’s all rollable and there’s few unavoidable obstacles.

I agree that some things could look quite intimidating but arent actually that hard to ride ( a friends newbie aunt came with us, she’s about 60 and was terrified of the berms but once she’d rolled them a few times she realised that they weren’t that bad)

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

she’s about 60

So am I 😉

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

There’s nothing that technical up there

it’s one of the most technical man made trails there is, even some of the climbs require skill and co-ordination. Most of the red sections compare to blacks at places like Llandegla or even White’s level at Afan. Couple that with the price of failure, rocks, rocks, more rocks and drops, not an ideal beginner location.

Alright it’s not the Alps or Canada but saying it isn’t technical on a UK scale is a bit daft.

ilovemygears – Member

It was really windy yesterday as well, i didnt bother with the black route drop in to the bottom as i would have been blown off going around the corner..

OHHH MATRON!!

Stumpyjon, I agree that it’s not an ideal beginners location but there’s not much that isn’t rollable at a slow speed. Like you say though it is exposed and that’s where I think the risk comes in.

Obviously it’s all quite subjective but I’m used to fast technical descents in the Dark Peak and the occasional (twice a year) DH day.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lee quarry, big yellow helicopter today, looked nasty!’ is closed to new replies.