Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Lee Craigie – Scotlands new Active Nation Commissioner
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

being unhealthy is cheaper than healthy.

An oft repeated myth. In financial terms, I can make healthy food for much cheaper than ready made stuff, it takes more effort, this is where the lazy folk struggle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

this is where the lazy folk struggle.

And where the misunderstanding is that all people are lazy, some lack the skills, some lack the knowledge or motivation. Kind of exactly why we need these departments out there.

I would think one of the qualities that helps with a job like that is not being sanctimonious. Empathy goes a long way to understanding why people are doing what they are doing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Who said all people are lazy? I never said that. I know loads of folk who can’t be arsed cooking, bugger all to do with knowledge or skills, telly is bloody full of cooking programmes, cheap, healthy options are everywhere.

And you calling anyone sanctimonious? Eh? What next? Tj calling someone argumentative? JHJ calling out the conspiracy theorists? 🤣

geex
    Free Member

Wish there had been a kebab shop open at lunchtime when I was meant to be at School.
    I had to keep drinking until 5pm just to get a chippy.

Trekster

We have a few cycle paths here in Dumfries. However maintenance is poor and getting worse due to council funding issues
    http://www.gosmartdumfries.co.uk/

We also have an advocacy group who are likely going to be all over this:
    Home

I’ve been cycling to work for 38yrs now and not seen an increase in cyclists commuting. I have seen an increase in the uptakevof mountainbiking due to 7Stanes. Only recently one of our apprentices decided to give it a go and is hooked…..

However driving standards on and around town leave a lot to be desired!!!

Many school dissuade kids from cycling to school unless they have done a Bikeability course, many kids are more than capable at a much younger age(I coach at a Go Ride club)

My son was into bmx, ice hockey and then rowing into his mid teens. Cubs, scouts and DofE all had an element of exercise. Son now runs and still Cycles a bit. His 2 kids, both girls, dance and do gymnastics.
    Daughter wasn’t interested in sports at all, but was never overweight. Nowvin her early 30s she is addicted to the gym, cycling, swimming and running and encourages her 2 kids to be as active.

However I know many people who will never be persuaded to get on a bike for any reason and this initiative is unlikely to register with them.

MrsT is a civil servant and has been mentioned and suggested above the amount of money that will be swallowed up by “jobsworths” having meeting about meetings will be insane😖 Then there are 32 councils who “do their own thing”

Wish her luck tho…….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol @ geex 🤣🤣🤣

epicyclo

AFAIK Lee’s job is about activity, not just cycling.

Trekster
    YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve been cycling to work for 38yrs now and not seen an increase in cyclists commuting.

I’ve got to say it’s the opposite for me. There was a time there was one active bike in the bike shed and that was mines to now seeing the shed full in the summer and a significant amount during the winter. Same for recreational cycling, I could easily go road biking and see not one single other cyclist, now it’s half a dozen before I’ve left the town. And I’d say the same about running too, when I started running there were a handful of folks you’d see, now it’s like sauchiehall street. Locally we have a sizable athletics club and a well turned out park run. Conversely the pubs are all empty.

As for the kids, looks like wee lucky in that respect also. Load of free after school stuff and in a school stuff.

Edit: my point being I do think things are significantly better and someone else stoking the fire has to be a good thing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Conversely the pubs are all empty.

Agree with everything else K, but no here they ain’t, pubs are rammed, all the time.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Aye it’s probably misleading, the sots are more than likely in the house.

poly
    Free Member

Tj – Or going for a walk in your lunchbreak

Just so long as that’s not a school lunch break, the kids should be locked up in the school with forced meal choices and prescribed activities – because that will have a long lasting effect as soon as they are free to make their own decisions.

psling
    Free Member

I was reading a thing about data from an activity app. Turns out 52% of UK folk with that app walked less than 850m a day.

That would be me. I cycle 11 miles to work, walk less than 50m to my work station; repeat in the reverse direction going home. Not many days during the week that I walk 850m.

Great news about Lee though; even if it only makes a small difference and improves the lifestyle of just a few people it will have been worth it.

rene59
    Free Member

There are about 370k primary school kids spread over 2k primary schools across Scotland. If she can get to visit all kids at some point during their time at primary school, I think she would inspire enough of them to make a noticeable difference in the space of a decade.

Obviously thats a lot of schools to get around but in heavily populated areas they can be done mnultiple schools at a time by booking out venues. A TED type talk, an expo type setup with all sorts of activities demonstrated that the kids might not even have heard of.

Just needs the investment, whilst this would be a lot, the payoff would make it look like pocket change.

paton
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheers, looks good, apart from having to listen to McNeish… 😊

rene59
    Free Member

Could have came up with another name, that one is already taken with the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland. Fairly popular it is too so it’s a bit of a fail not to have noticed, or noticed but went ahead with it anyway.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Lee Craigie – Scotlands new Active Nation Commissioner’ is closed to new replies.