Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • LED TV ghosting effect- new set up issue
  • hora
    Free Member

Its a new freeview HD LED tv. Ariel direct into the back wont give a signal on setup. So I’ve had to piggy-back in a seperate freeview box. The screen ghosts abit (blurs with quick moving people/background)- not signal pixel loss symptoms.

Is this because Ive used a seperate freeview box that gives weaker screen sharpness?

Anything Im doing wrong?!

In the shop the screen is sharper on demo models. Will talk to shop tonorrow to trouble-shoot direct roof ariel no signal issue

Bregante

Have you got any large masses of pig iron nearby which could be interfering with the signal in some way?

*foresees the best excuse for a new bike ever.

hora
    Free Member

Back off the Patriot! 8)

Cougar

Apologies if I’m stating the blindingly obvious, but you are searching for DTV not ATV, yes?

ask1974
    Free Member

The fact that the aerial input isn’t working is a concern so I’d check this, back to store if it can’t be resolved. The fact that a separate Freeview receiver works confirms the antenna connection is OK. HDMI connection between set top box and TV should not result in any degradation of picture. A lot of (cheaper) TVs struggle with standard def video as they don’t have the processing power to scale the image well, these sorts of Telly’s are usually displayed in store with HD video which pretty much looks good on most TVs.

Make sure the two are connected properly, turn off everything in the picture settings menu on the TV and see what the results are like. Even better find a DVD or Blu-Ray with calibration tools and get the contrast, brightness etc. sorted.

What TV is it?

hora
    Free Member

@ cougar Yep. Tried the following options to be sure: Digital ariel, then digital cable, digital a&a and digital c&a too.

Freeview box is scart to scart.

Im guessing (?) Prob with freeview fitted.

Tv: http://www.toshiba.co.uk/television/led/L1/40-l1333db-full-high-definition-led-tv/tab/where-to-buy/

ask1974
    Free Member

Take it back…

oldboy
    Free Member

Scart? WTF!

allthepies
    Free Member

The reason for the much cheapness is revealed…. 😉

Drac

Freeview box is scart to scar

Oi! Ton! I have a buyer.

Drac
    hora
    Free Member

Oi it has two hdmi’s.

Anyway scarts back in. Like shotguns long range is back in

(Spot the film reference)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So why did you buy the toshiba ?

I am not sure buying a 40 inch 1080P screen and then feeding it a standard def picture through scart is a particularly sensible idea.

Make sure you are viewing it from a sensible distance for a start, say at least 12 feet probably, any closer and it is always going to look bad, even if the SD was through a hdmi cable.

And I wouldn’t bet on that Samsung either, they all seem to have rubbish picture processing capabilities.

ton

psst hora, wanna buy some cheap scarts…….. 😆

Drac

I was here first.

Samsung TVs are some of the best Turnerguy, Toshiba once were too back in the CRT days.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I asked about the Toshiba as I cant see any reviews on it so wondered why he chose it.

When I bought my Sony it was because I had seen good reviews of it which seem to be backed up by consumer feedback on the net, etc. Then I managed to persuade them to feed some freeview into it so I could see what it did with poor quality source material, whilst they let me play around with the settings.

But there was a 40inch Sony in the shop that was the same model range, which was showing shocking ghosting.

I have never been impressed with any Samsung I have seen, and ones where you can’t get to the setting to turn off the processing are almost unwatchable imo.

You must be older than me (50) as all the Toshiba CRTs I can remember were unable to actually show white correctly, actually rendering it with a pink tinge.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve got an amazing CRT/DVD player (B&O). I really REALLY need to get a sound bar asap for the LED tv as the B&O’s royally wipes its ass into the ground (of course it has acres of space to fit decent speakers in whereas the flat screen has a 1/4 inch 😀

Why would a LED tv ‘ghost’ though? I’ve finally managed to tune it with it directly plugged into the outside aerial.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

well one reason is that the pixel count on your tv doesn’t match the input pixel count, so the tv has to ‘upscale’ – which is basically a computer doing a load of processing and trying to make up information/frames that don’t exist.

So that is one differentiator between tvs, the quality of the processing, because you have to all sorts of complicated stuff, like anti-aliasing, to get a half-decent result.

If you look at the home-cinema arena you can still pay lots of money for kit to do this.

Milkie
    Free Member

Ariel direct into the back wont give a signal on setup.

Send it back. The TV’s Freeview Tuner should give a much better picture than your freeview box with SCART.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

he’s managed that.

Cougar

I’m struggling to see how a DTV signal would ghost; it should either work or not. A £2 happy shopper SCART lead on the other hand, I’m struggling to see how it wouldn’t. (-:

What’s it like with other sources? DVD?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

describe the ‘ghosting’.

Is it a smearing of the image when it moves ?

The Sony TV I mentioned has a horrible white smear behind every image that moved – didn’t seem to be related to the image that had moved.

A smearing of the image is completely possible as the TV is trying to upscale, and then has to remove all the aliasing artifacts that are created during the ‘upscaling’. It takes a good TV to not screw this up and it is only recently that some of them seem to make a good job of it.

Even when 100Hz CRT were around this was a problem.

Plus you ‘could’ also have some smearing caused by poor refresh of the screen.

Drac

I’m 40 so a lot younger that and owned Tosh which managed whites so personal experience is very different to yours.

Anyway I’d guess the ghosting is from a poor feed which is a side effect of scary. You need to bring your tech up to date.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’m 40 so a lot younger that and owned Tosh which managed whites so personal experience is very different to yours

well you were lucky then, maybe they fixed it late on, but it was pretty commonly mentioned that Toshes whites were always pink.

Maybe they looked white to you, but put them next to a (cylindrical) Sony Trinitron and it was pretty obvious.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘LED TV ghosting effect- new set up issue’ is closed to new replies.