Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LED Strips for Kitchen Cupboard
  • Premier Icon Albanach
    Free Member

We have a pantry type cupboard that’s fairly dark inside. Id like to install led strip light on the underside of the 3 shelves which are either controlled by a pir sensor or a cupboard switch. Id prefer to run them in series off one Power socket. Has anyone got any recommendations of a kit which might do this please?

Premier Icon Daffy

I installed these about 2 years ago.

Link to eBay

Premier Icon footflaps

You need a 12v LED light strip (self adhesive) and a mains -> 12v driver.

Loads on Ebay / Amazon.

Our kitchen pelmet lights (one strip wasn’t bright enough, so went with two).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q6S7he]50W 12v LED Driver[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Premier Icon z1ppy
    Free Member

What Footflaps said, don’t get sucked into investigating indepth (colours/remotes/wifi!), as for your requirements a reasonably cheap/simple setup will work without issue.

Premier Icon Albanach
    Free Member

Thanks Footflaps – do you know if they are able to run in series? Or would I need a strip and driver per shelf?

Premier Icon BearBack
    Free Member

Ikea?
    They certainly do self on drawer versions

Premier Icon footflaps

Thanks Footflaps – do you know if they are able to run in series?

No you need to run them in parallel, so connect the +12v and 0v from each strip to the 12v/0v output of the PSU.

You can run several strips off one power supply (if you buy a big enough one) so could run half a dozen strips off one if you wanted, run longer wires to the others if they’re not nearby etc.

Premier Icon Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

In the cupboard you’re probably ok with just the strip stuck to the shelves, using them for cabinet lighting you should always put them in an aluminium channel to act as a heat sink, they run surprisingly hot and burn themselves out over time.

Premier Icon properbikeco
    Free Member

I purchased an led under counter light from lidl earlier in the year that does what you want – no pir though but £10 for two

Premier Icon Jamze

I have a few of these IKEA ones under units and shelves in our kitchen. The cheaper 10W driver will power 3 of them. Has a sensor so could turn on when you open the door.

Premier Icon dc1988
    Free Member

Do those cheap eBay drivers just have a single wiring point that you can add multiple led strips to? (As long as you have sufficient wattage driver for the total output)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.