Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LED lighting for under kitchen cupboards…
  • the-muffin-man

We currently have 3 small fluorescent lights under out kitchen cupboards but I want to replace them with LEDs so we get an even light all along.

There is wiring in place to each of the current light so what would I need to buy to convert to LED.

I’ve seen loads of kits on eBay, but a lot seem to come with a transformer.

Also what colour white would we need to get brightest light (or should we go all winebar and get those that change colour!).

Thanks

dooosuk
    Free Member

You just need a roll of strip LEDs and a transformer per strip.

I’ve just fitted these:
    http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-lights/led-strip-non-waterproof-60-small-led-chips-per-metre-5-metre-roll.html

20W LED Transformer/Driver – Non Dimmable

They give out quite a warm light though, not a stark white light.

retro83
    Free Member

Don’t use the cheap 5050 type LED strips from ebay. They (or at least the ones I got) are craaaap. Allegedly waterproof ‘3M’ (as if) sticky back coating lasted about two weeks. Now, two thirds of the strips have failed at ‘cut points’.

footflaps

See http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/leds-in-kitchen

In the end I used two 5030 strips of warm white LEDs.

cheekyget
    Free Member

The ebay lights are good if you know how to fit them….yes the 3M backing is crap ….but it’s only there to stick it up so you can fix it properly…..I used cable clips, with th nail taken out and replaced with a small screw…..but to solider the ends between units was a real pain to do but I’m sure somewhere there are clips for these…I think
    What white is best …well it depends on what colour your kitchen is is one way to decide……for example if you ha e a white kitchen , cold white will bring out the white better as the warm white will be more yellow in colour

My LEDs have ( touch wood ) been running for 18months now ..no probs

prettygreenparrot

IKEA?

Innes
    Free Member

I have fitted some of Robus brand fittings from Screwfix to replace Fluorescent fittings in customers houses. They look the same as the slim style fittings, they are neat, very easy to fit and work well.

Much easier than strips and the light is even due to the diffusers on the fittings.

Robus LED 14watt

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I’ve used both the current IKEA systems, uttrusta with integral transformer and omslopp with separate transformer. Both easy and high quality, with ability to add extra lights later. Recommended

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘LED lighting for under kitchen cupboards…’ is closed to new replies.