Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 253 total)
  • Leaving yer saddle height untouched throughout all of your riding
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Can’t afford a dropper post so will be doing things old school.

aracer
    Free Member

If you can corner well with a high saddle, you’ll corner better with a low saddle.

So if I’m getting round the corners at the limit of my tyres’ traction (or just without braking) with a full-height post, what advantage will I notice when I drop my saddle?

chiefgrooveguru

But do go on telling yourself that you’re as good as you can be, if that makes you feel better.

…and do go on telling me how much better I’d be if only I listened to you.. guru…

Don’t forget to ignore every pro downhill racer, every pro enduro racer and everyone riding pump tracks, because clearly none of that is relevant to other forms of MTBing…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

mine are electric and are operated by brain impulses picked up by a sensor implanted under the foreskin..

Youv’e got a foreskin? Bit old fashioned innit?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not all downhillers slam their saddle

See steve peat for example – its not xc height but its higher than most of the gnar monkeys at glentress shreading

deadkenny
    Free Member

You’ll probably be surprised to find your tyres still have traction with further leaning and importantly the correct footwork, if you lean the bike and not so much yourself, which is much easier to do… with the seat out of the way 😉

Something I was somewhat amazed at when I was taught this, and I didn’t even get the bike over as far as it could probably go and it would still maintain grip as was demonstrated to me.

chiefgrooveguru

So if I’m getting round the corners at the limit of my tyres’ traction (or just without braking) with a full-height post, what advantage will I notice when I drop my saddle?

So you’re loading every corner are you, by pumping the bike into the ground to massively increase grip?

crikey
    Free Member

Don’t forget to ignore every pro downhill racer, every pro enduro racer and everyone riding pump tracks, because clearly none of that is relevant to other forms of MTBing…

Aah, I didn’t realise that you were their spokesman, you should have said. The last time I rode a pump track it was on my cross bike, fixed saddle, drop bars, yet I managed perfectly well.

I’ll have to discount the last 20 odd years of riding and racing; I’ve obviously been doing it all wrong…

Some of us manage perfectly well, the other folk seem to need dropper posts.

rp16v
    Free Member

im going to get a dropper post next month as im having trouble having enough post to ride xc then still have enough frame to hide the post in to go ride pumptracks clearing tables and doubles with a high saddle is really uneasing i did it on my hardtail but but only as i couldent be assed to stop with allenkeys in the middle of a ride.

Northwind

aracer – Member

Seems to be a genuine question so… The more you can move around, the more you can weight the bike/move your weight to improve traction.

yunki
    Free Member

Youv’e got a foreskin? Bit old fashioned innit?

it’s what keeps my brain safe.. I don’t really want to get drawn into the helmet debate again though..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not everyone struggles to move round their bike with saddle up though. Can appreciate some folk need the room thoigh

james
    Free Member

“i couldent be assed to stop with allenkeys in the middle of a ride”
    QR levered collar?

crikey
    Free Member

Interesting that folk who need to drop their saddles seem a bit threatened by those who don’t…

falkirk-mark

Interesting the amount of bollox in this thread

rp16v
    Free Member

james – i dident have a qr as my post at the time kept sliping and genraly i dont like qr collars so when the dropper comes my current qr will be ditched

Haze

Never bothered and doubt I will 🙂

P20

I’ve never bother dropping my saddle and it’s been fine for my riding. I’ve always hated the feel of the saddle being at the wrong height, something a dropper post which would return to full height would resolve. I bought wor lass one 2nd hand off here and it’s definitely worked for her. It doesn’t interrupt the flow of riding by having to get off and alter a qr.
    Each to their own.

z1ppy

As per several post above, I ‘hold’ the bike saddle with my thighs when descending (if I dont need to get behind the saddle). Are drop post user still able to do this, or do the choose not to? Is it an advantage not to, tried lower my saddle all the way a couple of times & it felt very unsettling. Im just left wondering if I’m missing something

Northwind

trail_rat – Member

Not everyone struggles to move round their bike with saddle up though

It’s not about struggling though… A dropped post lets you move around more easily, sure, but it also lets you move more, and get your body into places and shapes that are impossible with the saddle up.

Whether or not you’re bothered, or would use or benefit from that capability, is a different question of course. I’m not daft enough to tell other people I’ve never met what the best ways for them to ride are but the thread does seem to have a few folks who are.

Kind of curious about the “hold the saddle with the thighs” thing… Now I’ll sometimes use the saddle to control the bike a little, with one leg or the other (this works fine with the saddle dropped) but I’m not sure what the benefit is of gripping it with your legs? When would you do that, and what does it do for you?

Haze

Hmmm, mate of mine sometimes does using the QR…I tried to follow his lead but to be honest it just felt all wrong like something was missing.

Still, each to theirs though…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I drop it all the time. You can still rest the saddle on your leg in corners but the rest of the time, if anything, I ride bow-legged so the bike can move around beneath me.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Last time I didn’t bother to drop the saddle I went over a jump at llandegla and the saddle hit me in the balls and I nearly went over the bars. I will stick to dropping it if that’s ok with the OP. It is better for me and I find descending more fun when I can go faster with the saddle down.

somafunk

A few years ago i sat the Trail Cycle Leader exam then quickly followed it up with the Mountain Bike Leader exam and the instructors at the time tried to batter into me the importance of dropping the seatpost for difficult sections but i had a major disagreement with them regarding this as surely on a ride when your blatting along and you come to a downhill or drop-off section of trail you do not have the time nor stopping distance to halt and drop your post before carrying on, you have to learn how to get your arse over the back of the saddle and feel comfortable and confidant adjusting your body position as you see fit dependant on the trail conditions – where is this rant going?, i dunno really but if you feel the need to drop your saddle every time you come to a tricky section then perhaps you should learn or get taught some basic bike handling skills rather than rely on a dropper post or waste time by dropping it manually.

I’ve recently returned to biking after 4 odd years off the bike (past 2 months riding) and last week i was held up at kirroughtree as there was folk on full suss Lapierre’s and one Giant dropping their posts on the trail before descending Talnotry hill, it’s a friggin trail centre for christ sake, there is now’t on that trail worthy of dropping a seatpost for, i’ve took kids of 10yrs old round sections of the red and black, including Talnotry Hill and Hyssing Syd and they’re on 24″ wheels, by the end of a session they all managed to ride everything without incident with their seatpost in the usual riding position.

Perhaps on a true wilderness ride you may need to drop your seatpost and i understand this, hell… I’ve done it myself descending from hills i’m unsure about but every trail centre course is designed to be ridden at speed, that is why they can be graded in such a way as red or black etc.

Personally none of my bikes have a quick release seatpost clamp and i discourage my mates to drop their seatposts – learn to ride with a saddle in the correct position as you don’t know what the trail will throw at you, i guess this doesn’t apply to the jumpy crowd but then again they would have the confidence and the balls to ride anything anyway.

z1ppy

I struggling to give good reason why i grip the saddle (a firm-ish yet relaxed ‘giving’ grip not a vice like one), it just how I’ve always ridden.

From memory, with the saddle right down (out of thigh range!) I didn’t feel I knew where the bike was (position or angle wise), and felt very detached & lacking control of the bike (feel I can’t angle the frame confidently) even though my feets & hands are attached. I ‘do’ wonder if it something I should try more, to get the hang of it?

smell_it
    Free Member

Somafunk – I struggle with long sentences, is saddle dropping for dudes or douches?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Before I start
    26″ wheels
    Turn my bike over to remove the wheels
    Schrader

Of course you can ride with your saddle up.
    Of course it’s good to be able to ride something that comes out of the blue with your saddle up but
    It moves, it’s fine, it works well.
    As above most people having issues with untested dropper posts and the crap ones. My KS has the newer internals and touch wood is going strong 2 years in.
    I move around my bike to get my weight into the right position for what I am doing. Having a seat post in the way gets in the way of that.

Northwind

Fair enough z1ppy, makes sense to me. Quite glad I don’t have that issue though!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just ride with it slammed, mtfu and stand up on the uphill and flat sections. Doing jumps with a seat up your arse is no fun at all.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m an XC rider through and through. Can’t be ‘arsed’ having to think about changing saddles heights when it’s not really needed around my area

Squidlord
    Free Member

I used to stop and lower my saddle before descents, but it just interfered with my flow, maaaan. 😉 Like someone said above, I like having a familiar reference point between my legs when I’m moving about on the bike. I am a mincer, though.

Squidlord
    Free Member

invisible post? 😕

EDIT: new page glitch

aracer
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Before I start
    26″ wheels
    Schrader
    (dropper seatpost [ed])

I wonder if there’s any correlation – anybody else care to add a data point?

26″
    Bike right way up to remove wheels
    Presta
    Full height seatpost

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I wonder if there’s any correlation – anybody else care to add a data point?

26″
    Bike right way up to remove wheels
    Presta
    Full height seatpost

Lol sums it up never trusted anyone who doesn’t turn their bike over 😆

JoeG
    Free Member

I rode for many years with my seatpost at full height. I never saw any need to and never considered dropping it at all.

I was swayed by reading so many reviews from riders who had tried a dropper post and said that it really changed their riding. So I bought one, and I’m now damn near a dropper seatpost evangelist!

I’m able to move around so much better, especially to lower my center of gravity when needed. Some short, steep (near vertical) descents that used to scare the crap out of me with the saddle at full height are a piece of cake with the saddle dropped. i was amazed at the difference.

Expensive? Yes. Heavier? Yes. More complex? Yes. Worth it to me? Yes!

GEDA
    Free Member

I just run my post on the low side all the time. I don’t mind standing up and pedaling. I don’t really like xc height seat posts as I find it is harder to pump and respond to the trail, a bit like running suspension with no sag. I always thought that one needed to get one’s weight back but for downhill stuff weight down is what you want and this is not so easy with your seat right up as hanging off the back of your saddle tends to push your weight to the back. My theory is this is a hangover from running fully rigid and needing to have all the weight off the front wheel. Now everybody has decent front suspension it is amazing how much your front wheel can plough through with your weight more centred and down. I posted a film of some Danish xc lads doing big drops and gap jumps with their saddles right up where the sun don’t shine. They don’t hang off the back of the saddle.

rOcKeTdOg

Dyed in the wool tradutional seat post user, but mainly coz
    A) can’t afford a dropper
    B) wouldn’t want the extra weight
    C) hate anything that is unreliable
    D) needs loads of maintenance
    Which is also most of the reasons i don’t have a FS

kiwijohn

26″ wheels
    Presta
    No dropper
    & probably equally as relevant, clipped in.

I also run my saddle a tad lower than ideal, but with the nose tilted up a touch to help with steep climbs when you slide forward on it.
    & I agree, you really don’t need to hang over the back that much.
    With 6 inches of travel front & rear, I seldom even stand any more.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I prefer to lower my saddle and inch as I feel more flexible and confident on the bike. I can and do ride saddle up on xc descents but on steeper ones I tend to lower it, sometimes two inches. It mainly helps with steep braky corners where you don’t get hooked up as you both lean the bike before releasing the brakes (not explained well)

I have a giant contact switch dropper post but it’s problematic. Usually stuck up or down. And it drops four inches which feels really weird. I Don’t use it.

Mugboo

Someone above mentions managing to ride a CX bike perfectly well round a pump track without dropping their saddle.

There is a big difference between riding round a pump track and pumping a pump track.

Maybe this is a good way of defining riders that will find a dropper post useful. That and wether there wheels regularly leave the ground?

Not there is anything wrong with either riding style but it does explain why some folks don’t need them. As someone who likes to lower my post a bit for off road and a lot for descents I would now be lost without mine. I have altered my riding style so much that without the ability to drop it I feel ‘too tall’ and lacking in grip.

That it adds FUN 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 253 total)

The topic ‘Leaving yer saddle height untouched throughout all of your riding’ is closed to new replies.