Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Leaving Present for a mountain biker – light/dropper/helmet cam?
  • gribble
    Free Member

As above, colleague/friend is leaving current job and would like to pitch in to get a present. He is getting back into mountain biking and I wanted to get something biking related.

I had thought of these options:

Exposure Light for night riding
    Dropper Post for awesomeness on steep descents
    Go Pro or similar to record the above awesomeness

Nothing too original, but needs to fit the bill of being around £150 or so…

ogden
    Free Member

If he’s only getting back into it a dropper would be the most beneficial surely

nwmlarge
    Free Member

dropper

AlexSimon

They all sound superb.
    If you know exactly the spec required, then a dropper would be my pick.
    Otherwise at this time of year an Exposure light would be great too.

Trimix
    Free Member

Skills day with Tom Dowie.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

A big **** off first aid kit.

benp1

Skills day is a nice pressie

Dropper would be good, but might be overkill for what they need

Exposure light would be a nice present and very useful

lunge

Dropper would be awesome but unless you know the spec of his bike then you’re on the back foot. if he’s just getting back into it you also risk him having a new bike very soon.

Either a good light or a skills day would work though.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks all.

A light is simpler for me to get (as I can not really get the size wrong). I do know the bike (Cannondale Beast of the East), so can get the right seat diameter, but I suppose I could get one that is too long/short. Also best not bought just at the start of the winter…

I think he is unsure about night riding but I think if he had lights he would try – I only tried when I had bought a light (seems an obvious chicken and egg discussion 🙂 ).

gribble
    Free Member

Am also looking at skills days; good shout. I need another one of those myself.

His bike is brand new, so not much chance of him changing i the near future. (it is a new fangled 650B plus)

gribble
    Free Member

Cycle Active Courses are £89 at Swinley. I did one years ago and thought it was quite good.

Diablo is £145. I think we should get enough cash for the latter.

kcal

Strava Premium membership ( 🙂 )
    Or I suppose LBS voucher-

For my 40th (I think) my project team got me some EBC vouchers, got a set of small panniers for commuting, ideal and still got them. At same time colleagues got me a hot air balloon experience – never used it, was able to cash it in and get some Lumicycles instead 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Is that Cannondale a really old thing? If so don’t bother with a dropper as he’ll probably replace the whole bike soonish?

Does he already night ride? Most people don’t, so a bit of an expensive gamble if he’s not demonstrated his commitment.

GoPro will probably spend most of its life in a drawer (mine does).

Skills course was what I was gonna say. Book yourself on at the same time to keep him company.

hambl90
    Free Member

dropper

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Leaving Present for a mountain biker – light/dropper/helmet cam?’ is closed to new replies.