• This topic has 18 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Leaving it out for Lent
  • lambchop
    Free Member

Not a religious person but need a goal and Lent is coincidentally beginning tomorrow.

Booze, I love it. Possibly just a bit too much. Try to stick to weekends only but some weeks it creeps into most days. A mate at work is going to go dry too.

Anyone else need a reason to abstain from something for a while?

binners

I’m going for it this year. No naked paragliding for me until Maunday Thursday

outofbreath
    Free Member

Booze, I love it. Possibly just a bit too much. Try to stick to weekends only but some weeks it creeps into most days. A mate at work is going to go dry too.

Brewdog nanny state is your friend.

geomickb
    Free Member

Have a go at being alcohol free, I tried and will never go back to drinking.

Is it Time for a Tactical Break from Alcohol? With Andy Ramage

Need to cut out sugar now.

Kahurangi

Me and the Mrs used it as a way to get cooking more veggie for a few years. We would only cook veggie – eating out or being fed by friends we were less fussy. It was a good stepping stone towards expanding our repertoire and eating less meat overall.

johnx2
    Free Member

Booze, I love it

That’s a relief. From the thread title I’d envisaged an altogether different form of abstinence.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m going for it this year. No naked paragliding for me until Maunday Thursday

Surely that in itself is “leaving it (hanging) out”

chomp
    Free Member

I’m giving up Greggs for lent.

Change of work schedule/location means I drive by one most mornings and all too often have a coffee & bacon and sausage bap.

Also one of the places I work has just had a Greggs open up a minutes walk away from my desk – which has led to far too mans sausage and bean melts as a mid afternoon snack!

(My chubclub numbers will hopefully show some results!)

nealglover
    Free Member

which has led to far too mans sausage and bean melts as a mid afternoon snack!

😳

philjunior
    Free Member

I did booze a few years ago when I was a student, it made a noticeable difference, but then again I was having 4-5 pints a night every night. Wouldn’t bother now.

Anyway, remember you’re allowed to go for it on the sabbath. Nobody told me this when I was doing booze, but apparently it’s true. I think sabbath = sunset saturday to sunset sunday.

MarkyG82

I give up pancakes for lent most years as they are a year round weakness. The amount of maple syrup consumed drastically reduces in the run up to easter to the point that I rarely eat the chocolate eggs I get as they are replaced by said pancakes. Always makes my friends chuckle when I tell them.

miketually
    Free Member

Every year my (Christian) wife comes off Facebook for Lent and, every year, she uses my phone to look at my FB feed. I’m pretty sure that God* knows that she’s cheating.

*if she existed, which she doesn’t

perchypanther
    Free Member

Your wife is non-existent?

nickdavies

Booze here.
    Injury and lazy winter has seen be out a stone on, so lent it’s coming off.

Excersise every day as well.

feed

Off the sauce too, all good so far 🙂

spekkie
    Free Member

I gave up (as much as is practicable) refined sugar 18 months ago and will keep going with that. Rarely drink, don’t smoke and we don’t eat junk food – so not sure what, if anything, I could give up.

shooterman

Giving up sugary and processed foods here.

This also means giving up the few beers I would have at home on a Saturday night. That usually ends up with me searching the kitchen for snacks as beer gives me the munchies.

funkmasterp

I don’t drink bar the odd special occasion so I’m giving up exercise and healthy food. A diet of mainly cakes and pies for me.

toby1

so not sure what, if anything, I could give up

If only there was a dish that used up the things you are supposed to live without for Lent, I wonder what the component ingredients would be 😉

Flour, eggs and milk perhaps?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Leaving it out for Lent’ is closed to new replies.