Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Leaving drinks, but worried about tab.
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Ok, it’s my time to buy the drinks this Thursday and given how many people are going to come, I need to allocate £400. My only concern is how you go about making sure the bar staff don’t add a few extra pints on every time someone goes up to the bar with the tab?

I am sure this must go on, as if you have 20 people and the tab is being used by people to buy 2-4 pints at a time, there is no way you can keep track of how many pints have actually been ordered.

Drac

Trust. It’s a wonderful thing.

TP
    Free Member

I used to work in bars and it never happened. Change bars.

sofatester
    Free Member

Trust.

What’s the worst that can happen?

wolly
    Free Member

Maybe you should stand at the bar all night with a check list….
    Or have a few beers and relax!

Daffy

That’s 100 drinks!!! Damn.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Your leaving drinks and you’re expected to stump up £400 or so for others?

Stuff ’em! Go and buy some new wheels or something nice instead.

Drac

Your leaving drinks and you’re expected to stump up £400 or so for others?

😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did I read it wrong?

bearnecessities

I’ll have a double XO and a bag of tyrrells please. Best of luck with new job ‘n’ all that. 🙂

flanagaj
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong. I have done lots of thinking about what I could buy with the money. Thing is, the city is quite small and those who attend leaving drinks and then bail out where their time comes to buy certainly gets noticed by everyone.

Given how many free beers I have had over the last 10 years it’s only right to stump up. Maybe, like others have posted, I just need to be a little more trusting.

bubs

Big leaving bar tabs where I work, I still don’t get why the leavers buy the drinks.

JulianA
    Free Member

No, you read it correctly, CFH.

Could be construed as ‘you are leaving drinks’ but I don’t think that’s what the op meant.

jontykint
    Free Member

Print out some beer tokens.
    Get a daft picture of you on one side with a big £4 on it and maybe an amusing quote attributed to you in the workplace printed in a fancy script along the note.
    Print 100 and dish them out to the guests when they arrive

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ferociously sit at the bar and count every drink that comes over and tick it off on your spreadsheet. Examine pre/post wine bottle levels, draw marker pen marks on every spirit bottle “on the back shelf” and count the number of glasses used.
    I would expect graphs/statistics and some decent KPI’s accumulated into a presentation at the end of the night, to all that either stayed around or are slumped on the Pub floor, or toilet.

Then put a claim in on expenses.

Don’t thank me 😆

Or..

Just have a word with the Barman and shuv £30 in his pocket before the night gets underway with a little word on keeping an eye on “the Fat one from Accounts” who tends to drink too much..

😉

flanagaj
    Free Member

The beer tokens idea is a great one! I am surprised no pub has done that.

Given the circumstances, I am going to go with this one.

“Just have a word with the Barman and shuv £30 in his pocket before the night gets underway with a little word on keeping an eye on “the Fat one from Accounts” who tends to drink too much..”

I still keep thinking that I could nearly buy that Stages power crank with the cash 🙁

righog
    Free Member

Have a word with the bar manager the day before tell him you would like to set up a tab with a limit of £400 or whatever, if they know who you are they are less likely to try and cheat you ( although I think you are being a bit paranoid ) get him to send you a recite for the tab with the drinks on it a few days later ( if you want one ) at the least it will it will cap your expenditure. After the £400 i doubt very much anyone will mind paying if they want more drinks.

This must be a southern thing ? the bar staff stealing drinks would not even enter my head ( well until now )

EDIT Bike Boy’s idea is better

flanagaj
    Free Member

What’s rather amusing is that there are a couple of long timers at the firm who suffer with aroundaphobia. In all my years at the firm they have never once bought a round. Cringing to watch them sink 4 pints and then when it’s their turn they make up a lame excuse and head for the door.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve done similar with work do’s, turn up during the week, stick X amount behind the bar and when it’s gone, it’s gone, leave the managing of the tab to the bar staff after that.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Sounds like a crap system. What’s wrong with a kitty?

Drac

Did I read it wrong?

Ah bollocks! 😳

DaveRambo

Best bet is to put a cap on the tab and let the bar and everyone know.
    Then accept that you will spend £400 and enjoy yourself, if the bar staff add a few pints then so what.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m still stuck at why are you buying them all drinks??? You’re leaving, right?

Rachel

bigrich

just because city folk are ruthlessly out for themselves, doesn’t mean everyone else is.

Dobbo

Phone in sick.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Invite everyone out, and then sit outside the pub with a couple of big bottles of White Lightning and some paper cups.

Or do what someone at my wife’s work did. Invite lots of folk on a drinks and curry night to celebrate her leaving. Then ask those who were coming for £25 each to cover it. Guess how many turned up? Two.

rickmeister

There was me thinking you were having a beer and worried about leaving it on a table and someone slipping a tab of e into it…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Pay for leaving drinks? Surely everyone should be buying you a drink?

mogrim

FWIW in Spain the person leaving buys the drinks. Fortunately beer is very cheap here 🙂

And I’ve always trusted the barman, it’s usually somewhere close to the office and they’re not going to risk repeat business for a couple of free pints.

jimmy

Don’t forget pudding tokens.

WHAT NO PUDDING?

footflaps

Everywhere I’ve been the leaving person buys the drinks, normally as they’re off to a better (paying) job. Obviously you wouldn’t celebrate redundancies in quite the same manner…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

In Oz the tradition at work for birthdays seems to be the birthday person brings cakes in. Then you get people turning up you don’t know, taking cake then **** off.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s Australians for you.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve never worked anywhere that a leaver paid for other’s drinks. Never even heard of this happening.

Where in the UK is this happening?

toby1

“Happy to buy drinks for people I can afford to spend £400 (assume they could afford the drinks themselves) – peasants who work there might steal some of this disposable/available cash though” … seems like an odd sentiment to me.

For reference I was once asked to do this in a bar I worked in, i.e. adding extra drinks onto big rounds, I declined and luckily was only there for a few weeks so didn’t have to tolerate the tool who asked me to do it for long. Bar Risa, Watford should anyone be concerned that they were once robbed there, if you were, it wasn’t me!

jfletch
    Free Member

Where in the UK is this happening?

Places where people have enough money to pay for everyone else’s drinks (or that don’t employ many people and have a lot of leavers) without it leaving them unable to pay the bills.

So London.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Yeah, thought so.

badnewz
    Free Member

Have a word with the landlord beforehand, put £20 his way, and stand at the bar with a beady-eye befitting a matriarch with her eye on naughty children.
    Being London, it will only last an hour anyhow.

grum
    Free Member

Places where people have enough money to pay for everyone else’s drinks (or that don’t employ many people and have a lot of leavers) without it leaving them unable to pay the bills.

So London.

Somewhere where people don’t trust anyone.

So London.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ive worked in the city, if it was my birthday, my leaving, my baby’s head wetting.. i would be expected to invite everyone to the pub and pick up the tab. there was quite often someone else celebrating something on the same day so you could go halfs but yeah, quite often had £200 bar bills – on a lunchtime! but as already mentioned, you would pretty much drink for free the rest of the year because it would be someone elses turn!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Leaving drinks, but worried about tab.’ is closed to new replies.