Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • leaving a job after 2 months?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

So… purely hypothetically (in case they are reading)…

If I were to resign from a job which I have only been in for 2 months, where I have a 3 month probationary period… will they be annoyed with me?

Reason for leaving is that the job isn’t really what they described to me – far too hands off, and I am bored. I have another job to go to (not with a competitor).

Dave

ninja title edit: was asking a different question before, but I think I know the answer to it.

clubber
    Free Member

Sounds like you should be annoyed with them!

On which basis, if they are annoyed, it suggests that maybe you’re better off not working for them.

Notice is usually a week for probationary period based on contracts I’ve seen.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They might be annoyed but there is not much they can do. Would they consider your feelings if something went wrong and they needed to sack you?

IHN

They may be annoyed, yes, as they may see it as you messing them about a bit. As long as you give the contractual notice, it’s their tough boobies though

My Mrs is in a similar boat, new job is not turning out to be as sold at the interview. She’s thinking about packing it in, but doesn’t (yet) have anything to go to.

alfabus
    Free Member

my standard notice is 4 weeks; the clause in the contract about the probationary period states that my notice applies.

I know that 1 week’s notice is the statutory, but I would probably give them the full 4 weeks. With any luck they’d give me gardening leave 🙂

Dave

totalshell

jobs are not a one way street.. they gave you a contract not the other way round.. walk when you like.. BUT be nice.. TOO nice dont ever let it come back and bite your bum

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

As you are you and not them, I would give your own interests priority.

I would get an idea if things are likley to change and unless what they say gives you great confidence, go to the other job.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Have you discussed your concerns with them?

I’d at least do that and see what they say before moving on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Probation works both ways . And if you don’t like them, it’s priceless to tell them you are leaving next week and watch their faces.. hehehehe 🙂

If they don’t like being messed about by new hires then it’s about time they started being honest and/or accurate about their jobs, isn’t it?

martinhutch

It’s effectively a probationary period for both parties. You’ve checked them out, they weren’t all they were cracked up to be, you’re off, nice and clean.

If they weren’t happy with you, they’d do exactly the same, so while it’s creditable that you are thinking of the impact of your resignation, when it comes down to it, it’s irrelevant and you’ve done nothing wrong, morally or legally.

Never looks great on a CV, but that isn’t a good enough reason to pass up a good position to stay in a naff one.

wwaswas

Only time I would be slightly miffed is if there had been an agency involved – after 8 weeks they’ll probably have received 80% of their fee which mighht be 20% of your annual salary.

Have you tried speaking to current employer about your views?

ourmaninthenorth

If they don’t like being messed about by new hires then it’s about time they started being honest and/or accurate about their jobs, isn’t it?

This.

Jobs are transactions: you give time and skill, they give money. Emotion doesn’t come into it.

br
    Free Member

I know that 1 week’s notice is the statutory, but I would probably give them the full 4 weeks. With any luck they’d give me gardening leave

And without luck you’re let go immediately (which tbh is more likely) – can you start the new job straight away?

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve got a meeting at lunch today where I’m going to discuss it with my manager. I have been pretty open about how bored I am with what they’ve got me doing.

Dave

stumpy01

TandemJeremy – Member
    They might be annoyed but there is not much they can do. Would they consider your feelings if something went wrong and they needed to sack you?

+1. It’s not great for them, but if the shoe was on the other foot and they had to get rid of you, I am sure they would (even if they felt bad about it).

alfabus
    Free Member

And without luck you’re let go immediately (which tbh is more likely)

pretty sure they can’t do that… the contract does look like 4 week’s notice is expected and I should be able to hold them to that. They reserve the right to do gardening leave or payment in lieu.

I could start the new job straight away, but it is a very techy role, and I’d like a bit of time to get up to speed first, rather than going in cold and making a bad impression.

Dave

alfabus
    Free Member

Right… meeting with boss done.

She was very understanding and seemed to get that what I was saying is that I’m miserable, rather than that I want more dosh.

She’s going to speak to her boss and see if they can do anything to change things for the better for me.

So… do I wait and see if it can be made better (given that I’ve been doing a lot of the scheduling, I know what is coming, and I know it can’t be that much better, at least in the short term), or do I jump ship?

Note: jumping ship will involve a 2x increase in salary, but less security (contracting)

Dave

ourmaninthenorth

Note: jumping ship will involve a 2x increase in salary, but less security (contracting)

And you’re hanging around because?

alfabus
    Free Member

Because I am scared, to put it bluntly 🙁

May require to be told to MTFU.

Dave

loum
    Free Member

without meaning to be rude, and for your own good…
    MTFU

philconsequence
    Free Member

JTFU!

john_drummer
    Free Member

MTFU then 😉

I left my previous job after 2 months. 90minute each way commute and no work to do when I got there.
    That wad Oct 2000. It never made it onto my CV

loum
    Free Member

TBH, it looks like the probationary period is serving its purpose. Its allowed you to discover what you don’t enjoy about the job.
    Now you’ve had your meeting, it may be fair to give them a week to surprise you, but probablly time to put the plan B feelers out. Let some contacts know you could be available soon, your company will be doing something similar knowing you are not happy.
    And that’s the crux of it, if you are not happy then you have nothing to lose from moving and everything to gain. Just do it right (sounds like you are). and good luck.

konabunny
    Free Member

flip ’em. Walk away if you want.

pretty sure they can’t do that… the contract does look like 4 week’s notice is expected and I should be able to hold them to that.

Eh? Isn’t the whole point of a probationary period that it’s a free fire zone in which there is no notice period?

atlaz
    Free Member

MTFU and do it. They would sack you in the blink of an eye if they didn’t like you during probation (or indeed the first year).

alfabus
    Free Member

@loum – no need for feelers – I have a contract lined up; they want me to give them an answer today.

Dave

Stoner
    Free Member

go contract. Dont look back

If you can earn twice as much you can work half as much = 4.5days a week riding time 😉

loum
    Free Member

Sounds good, you need to make your own decision now.

cp

I’d go contract, and if that doesn’t work out in the long run, go for a job somewhere – chances are it will be better than your current one.

As others have mentioned, the probationary period is a two way thing, and certainly contracts I’ve had have specifically mentioned the termination terms on both sides (which are invariably the same). Usually something like immediate for the first 4 weeks, then a day/week for the remainder.

ourmaninthenorth

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I[/video]

footflaps

Lifes too short to waste on duff jobs, if you have found something more interesting, just go…

alfabus
    Free Member

Well, it just got even more complicated.

Boss has come back with an offer to transfer me immediately to a technical architect role – much more hands on and exactly what I thought I was getting originally.

Seems to have been genuine misunderstanding that they thought I wanted the hands off position.

So, do I stick around for the new role, or jump ship for mega money contracting?

Additional things to bear in mind: Jumping ship would take me back into my chosen industry, whereas current job is in an industry i’m not that interested in.

Dave

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’d jump, i’d be scared… but i’d jump.

and buy me bikes with your new mega money thank you x

Stoner
    Free Member

Additional things to bear in mind: Jumping ship would take me back into my chosen industry, whereas current job is in an industry i’m not that interested in.

You’re supposed to play devil’s advocate when arguing with someone else, not yourself 😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

So, do I stick around for the new role, or jump ship for mega money contracting?

FFS – make a decision – no-one here can do it for you! Life is about making decisions as best you can in order to keep moving forwards, and dealing with the consequences good or bad. If you don’t actively decide to take or pass on the contract role, which you say requires an answer today, but just let it slide by in favour of the status quo, then that’s pretty lame.

This is perhaps putting it bluntly, but you get the idea…. 😉

alfabus
    Free Member

bloody complicated decisions…. this is one of those serious ‘fork in the road’ life choices.

I’ve spoken to the people offering the contract, I’ve got the weekend to think about it.

I think a long ride with some cake and some big pauses staring at the view might be in order for the weekend.

Dave

ourmaninthenorth

bloody complicated decisions

No. The decision is simple:

1. Known area. More money. Higher risk.

2. Unknown area. Less money. Lower risk.

These are simple decisions. Don’t overcomplicate it.

loum
    Free Member

OK, put it this way. The contracting offer has just been withdrawn, are you gutted?
    You don’t need more time to make your mind up, you just need to have some confidence in your own mind.

alfabus
    Free Member

At the risk of this getting all “psychiatrist’s couch”, I think the main problem is that I am having a crisis of confidence over what the contract role wants from me.

They want me to go in as an expert and advise them on best practice. I’m 99% sure I can do it, but ditching my comfortable (although boring) permie job to potentially get laughed at and ditched is terrifying me.

Will go and MTFU now… a good fettling session in my garage tonight will help sort my head – I’ve got a new reverb that needs the hose shortening 😀

Dave

chakaping
    Free Member

They want me to go in as an expert and advise them on best practice

They won’t know if you know what you are talking about or not then, so relax.

Seriously though, if you are not enjoyng your job now anyway and you have the opportunity to try something else more challenging and highly paid, what have you got to lose?

Would it be terribly difficult to get a job like the one you have now again?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘leaving a job after 2 months?’ is closed to new replies.