Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Leaving a dog in the van whilst riding
  • luket

I’m in the middle on the van thing. I wouldn’t leave my 6 month old pup in a car or van for more than a few mins, and obvs never in direct sun / hot day. But, sensible decisions on heat notwithstanding, this is mostly just on principle. I’ve left an adult dog in a van in the shade for an hour and felt comfortable with the idea, although not made a habit of it.

An aside on campers. I used to have an insulated white van which was a pleasure to be in in the heat – I even remember seeking refuge from the heat in it for a couple of hours with my old dog once. It was an oasis of cool. It lacked much in the way of windows though. And I’ve never had a proper camper – do people building campers not prioritise insulation? I think I would.

On exercise, I think it can be easy to over exercise a young dog and I’m quite wary of it. My 9yo dog was diagnosed with mild hip displasia at 18m and I worried that my exercising her contributed (she did join me on short mountain bike rides at that age and for a few years) however since she’s still fit as a fiddle at nearly 10 I should perhaps re-evaluate. Not saying this is you, but I’m inclined sometimes to wonder whether some people focusing on the amount of physical exercise per day are missing a trick about how much mental stimulation the dog needs, and just tiring them out physically instead. At the mo my pup gets a lot of training and not all that much of “going for a walk”. Part of her training is linked to a comfort with being left. I’m happy to leave her at home for an hour or more.

lovewookie

our small kokoni is a rescue. she loves the van, tends to run to it more than wanting to go for walks.

She’s also a sleeper. all day long. in fact, she’s sleeping now, next to me, hasn’t moved since her small morning walk at 9am.

We let her in the van she gets in her bed and immediately curls up and sleeps.

We’ve done the webcam thing to see what she gets up to while we’re away, and yes, she sleeps, for hours.

would I leave her in the van? probably, maybe, but not anytime when it’s anywhere near warm as the van will get hot regardless of how many windows are open, and not for long. In the depths of winter, possibly, but I’d also have a heat mat under her as the van can get very cold, and most importantly, I’m not there to check her. I suppose you could get a remote temperature monitor for that and an alarm to your phone, but guarantee it’ll go off when you’re a the furthest point..

the reality is that I’d not want to ride for more than an hour, and even then, I’d probably be worried to the point of distraction by locking her in a metal box with windows.

so, yes, you could, but I’m not so sure you should

For me, I bring my wife along. she looks after the dog, dog gets a walk, she gets to photograph naturey stuff and I get out for a ride. normally finished off by coffee and cakes on my endorphin comedown with the best company, my wife and my dog.

eyestwice
    Free Member

@tabletop2

And to add it is usually these very opinionated dog owners who have dogs with severe separation anxiety as they were never left alone as puppies

is right. IMO. Also

if he only got 20 mins a day exercise he would go mad

I’m on my third boxer, as well as various other dogs over the years. She’s never, ever chewed, barked, scratched etc. Not once. Dogs need exercise, she gets plenty of it.

20 minutes for a boxer puppy would be the shittest exercise ever.

Yes, I’m aware that there are other ways to tire a dog out. But the 5 minutes per month rule is a big fat hairy pair.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’d stick a brick through a window (AND call the police) if I thought it was too hot in a vehicle for a dog.

Interested in what you would then do if it turns out you were wrong?

FuzzyWuzzy

Maybe I wasn’t too clear, I was thinking of driving to the moor, walking the dog, then letting him sleep in the van whilst I cycled for an hour.

Sounds reasonable to me (with the caveat over how hot the weather is), I was imagining 3+ hour rides when I read your first post but there’s always that risk of your van getting broken into and him being stolen or just left with a door open (if whoever broke in wasn’t after the dog).

desperatebicycle

Robz

I love dog threads. All the excessive judgement and emotive overreacting is always so entertaining.

This! 😀
    Why can’t people make their own decisions about what to do with their pets?

Come to think of it I’m wondering if I should get a dog, maybe I’ll stop complete strangers in the street and ask if it’s a good idea! 😂 Where’s my clipboard…

IHN

Sounds reasonable to me (with the caveat over how hot the weather is)

And me, I’ve done the same (with the additional caveat of knowing the our dog is happy to be left on it’s own in the van)

weeksy

I’d stick a brick through a window (AND call the police) if I thought it was too hot in a vehicle for a dog.

What if you hit the dog ?

phil5556

I haven’t read all the responses, but I’m going for “it depends”.

I’m sure some will tell me I shouldn’t leave my dog in my camper and that I shouldn’t even own a dog.

This is a photo of him fast asleep in the back of the van whilst we were out riding in France a couple of weeks ago.

I’d be very wary of temperature in a van, especially if it’s dark colour and not lined. Obviously the camper is insulated etc, has a big fan on the roof and I can also monitor temperature, a normal van will get very hot very quickly.

And I’d start building a puppy up to the idea of it you want it to become a regular thing. Start on the drive and build up the amount of time, check that they’re not stressed out by it.

w00dster

Have to admit my dog (choc lab) also loves the camper. If I’m out faffing he will come out and go for a lie down in the van. He has done a fair few overnight trips with me so might associate the van with sleep….but either way he’s comfy enough.
    Regarding leaving them, I’ve left my dog loads of times. Never When it’s remotely warm though.
    I’d also think about making sure you give them a proper dry if it’s wet and cold. I know my dog loves cold and wet walks, but he also like the warmth afterwards.
    Smash the window and phone the police…..hmmmm. Ridiculous. Yes if it’s a sunny warm day then locking the dog up in the vehicle is cruel and idiotic, but on a standard autumn day, parked somewhere quietly, dog has toys, water, has probably just had a small treat after the walk……why on earth would you think the dog needs rescuing? My dog is probably better treated, better looked after and cared for than millions of animals around the world. Having an hours snooze in the van while I’m riding on a cold autumn day is a bonus for him.

phil5556

Smash the window and phone the police

Tbh this is one of my only worries leaving him the van, that someone will try and rescue him because they know he’s in there and assume he’s about to die from heat stroke whilst I know that it’s a cool 19^C and he’s happily snoozing on my bed.

Drac

This is a photo of him fast asleep in the back of the van whilst we were out riding in France a couple of weeks ago.

You left your dog in the van while you were in France? Doing it while popping out for a ride is one thing. Leaving them while you go to France is a whole different level.

spacemonkey

2 yr old working Cocker here. When we first got her, I spoke to our vet, other owners and trainers about how much exercise to give her and the 5 min per month thing is a pretty good guide. Other than that, she obv ran round the house and garden but never in a destructive way. Sure, she chewed the odd bit of plastic or whatever, but she was a puppy. No problem at all.

Yes, I was inwardly frustrated at taking her on short walks because I’m used to longer walks/runs. But having a puppy meant I hat to rein that it. It’s not difficult. You make adjustments and all is well.

Too much exercise too early IMO and you risk damaging their joints/ligaments etc.

FTR, I would not leave a puppy or a dog in a van/car for any number of hours. End of.

franksinatra

My spaniel loves the car, it is like her kennel. Usual routine (I WFH) is 30min walk before 8am, home for breakfast, she then heads to the front door and scratches it until I open it and she jumps into her car bed to sleep though to lunch time. Run/ride for 45mins at lunch then usually back in the car to sleep for the rest of the afternoon. In summer I leave the boot open and she wanders between house, front garden, car and neighbours.

I leave my dog in the car a lot, many many hours a week. It is her quiet space and she wants to be there. When in the house she is alert to every movement, noise and person. In the car she has a proper kip.

Not every dog left in a car is too hot, too bored or neglected.

phil5556

You left your dog in the van while you were in France? Doing it while popping out for a ride is one thing. Leaving them while you go to France is a whole different level.

Ha, yeah maybe leaving him in there for 2 weeks was a bit long.

Drac

Too much exercise too early IMO and you risk damaging their joints/ligaments etc.

Yup certainly what I’ve always been told, The 5 minute rule is about walks not the only exercise. Playing and training them will tire them out and allow them to develop. It is just a guide to help prevent over exercise, not a hard and fast rule.

Rivett
    Free Member

For me I wouldn’t because of the the security side. Would you leave your bike on display in a vehicle? I’d be gutted if the mutt was stolen.

bfw

My girlfriend’s cat is quite happy in my camper van. He has the run of the place, no cage, and we leave food, water and his tray for him. He mostly just sleeps.
    However, cats are very different to dogs. Physically the dog will probably be fine, but I suspect bored senseless. I think the cat just likes a bit of peace and quiet and a nap

My mates cat lived in a neighbours locked car for two weeks one summer, until he came home to discover it. Cat was skinny but fine 🤷‍♂️

Car wasn’t nice though

IdleJon

My mates cat lived in a neighbours locked car for two weeks one summer, until he came home to discover it. Cat was skinny but fine 🤷‍♂️

Car wasn’t nice though

Ours went missing for a full week, until we found it in a locked garage down the end of the street. Inside a closed filing cabinet. We don’t know how long he had been in there but it wasn’t pleasant.

Anyway, carry on. Dogs in vans…

Twodogs

2 yr old working Cocker here.

There’s some properly clever dogs on this forum. Mine’s pretty good at chasing ball, but typing? That’s next level.

phil5556

Physically the dog will probably be fine, but I suspect bored senseless.

I doubt it (depending on the dog), mine sleeps for hours, especially after a decent walk, he doesn’t need constant entertaining. He’s 9 now but has anyways been like it.

Drac

Yup dogs sleep a lot, especially when alone. I’d still not leave a pup for long in a van.

jeff

Get a doggy backpack – take him with you.

Pieface

I’ve left our dog in the car on rainy days whilst camping when we’ve sort refuge in a cafe. She’s been for a wlak, her bed’s in the boot, its warmer and more familiar to her than the tent. If she was at home in similar circumstances she’d sleep. She’s better in her bed in the car than on the floor in the cae where she’ll be constantly disturbed. For me as long as they’re in a frame of mind where they’d usually sleep / part of their routine, and ts not too warm, then its fine

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sounds reasonable to me (with the caveat over how hot the weather is)

And me, I’ve done the same (with the additional caveat of knowing the our dog is happy to be left on it’s own in the van)

+1, if the vans insulated and the weather isn’t sunny/warm I don’t see a problem as long as the dog’s happy which is a question you’d know better than anyone else, it’s just crate training them to a very big crate.

2 yr old working Cocker here.

There’s some properly clever dogs on this forum. Mine’s pretty good at chasing ball, but typing? That’s next level.

Working line cockers are the new vegan (how do you know someone has a working line cocker ….. etc).

n.b. on a related note, don’t feed working line breeds “working dog” food, they’ll get fat unless they’re actually being worked. They don’t need any difference in diet to other dogs. It’s just higher in energy and protein as for the most part dogs digestive systems can’t cope with too much volume of food despite what a Labrador will try and tell you.

kerley
    Free Member

Also more concerned about the dog getting stolen that the wealth fare of the dog. If the dog is happy to sleep in the van for an hour just as it would at home then no problem at all.
    Whether the dog was still there when I got back would be my worry and if it was stolen how would I feel about having left it it in the van…

myti
    Free Member

Totally dependant on your individual situation. Ignore the hand wringers and make your own judgement based on knowing your dog, the location, the weather and your vehicle. My black lab went to work with me from the age of 8 weeks. Sometimes she could be out in a garden with me and sometimes she slept in my transit. She’s 13 now and recently we spend 2 years living in a motorhome and left her for up to 5 hours in the van whilst we biked. We used a camera and temperature monitor when in Europe in the summer and she was absolutely fine.

jamj1974

I wouldn’t leave ours – he is working cocker of 4 months. He does get plenty of exercise and sleeps alone all night and regularly naps during the day.

Whilst he is a great addition to our family – he is very ‘chewy’… during the day.

blokeuptheroad

n.b. on a related note, don’t feed working line breeds “working dog” food, they’ll get fat unless they’re actually being worked.

The main reason people buy ‘working dog’ food, is that it’s zero rated for VAT.  Working cocker owner here, did I mention that? 😉 Ours doesn’t get tax free kibble mind, the spoilt git gets posh raw food delivered. I haven’t bought him a van yet though, I’m not daft…..

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.