Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Leaving a bike at Manchester airport?
  • mikeyp

Hi. I’d like to leave a bike there for the weekend. Airport info states it’s only ok outside the station. I’d like my bike to be there when I get back so has anyone locked a bike up there? I’ve previously locked one up at the T1 drop off but that was a long time ago. Thanks

scuttler

Looking on the website it looks like provision for bikes is crap – I guess you’re just not as profitable as the motorist who gets rinsed at any opportunity. You should shame them which of course doesn’t help your immediate problem. Maybe you could try some of the off-airport parking companies who might let you put in in their compound or for a few quid. Why do you need to cycle (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

globalti
    Free Member

Presumably you’re not too bothered about the bike still being there when you return?

Blackflag
    Free Member

There are no bike spaces at Manc Airport train station. How appalling is that?

sharkey
    Free Member

Might be better off leaving the bike somewhere else?
    Stockport station has bike racks on the platforms (secure-ish) with trains to the airport. Some of the tramstops have cycle hub or bike locker type secure bike parking, none on the airport line so you might have to take two trams to get to the airport – scrap that trams to the airport take forever you could use the cycle hub at altrincham station and get the train from there

simondbarnes

scrap that trams to the airport take forever you could use the cycle hub at altrincham station and get the train from there

Doesn’t that mean going into and back out of Manchester though?

martinhutch

The only comfort would be the thought that the area immediately around the airport/station is likely to be one of the most CCTV-ed and policed in the area, and that a bike thief might look for a softer target elsewhere rather than just stroll in with his boltcroppers.

But take a big lock and chain.

tthew

There’s left luggage in T1 and T2. Costs £5.00/24h Don’t know if they’d accept something as large and un-luggage like as a bike, worth an enquiry though.

mikeyp

Thanks for the replies. It’s very disappointing that there’s not a decent lock up. I’d like to ride in and ride out.

thenorthwind

Related story (possibly cautionary): I took my bike to the airport (Newcastle) last year when I was away for a couple of days for work. Had a cursory glance around for a bike rack, but wasn’t really expecting to find one, as I thought I was probably the first person to cycle to the airport and leave a bike there. I locked my bike to the railings in front of the terminal, to make a point, and because it was the most secure place. I thought it might be a bit dodgy, but you can lock a bike up in a million other places it could be considered a threat.

Needless to say, when I got back, it wasn’t where I left it. I went to see lost property who told me the police would like a word. I waited a while trying to fathom what offence I could possibly have committed, before a couple of bored looking cops came to explain to me it wasn’t a sensible place to leave a bike (which obviously I’d already inferred from the fact that they wanted to talk to me). They gave me the bike back, minus the lock.

So if you want it to be really secure, and don’t mind a short wait on your return, just lock it right next to the terminal with a cheap D lock 😉

Tangent: I once got a tour of the control tower at Newcastle. One of air traffic controllers keeps his extremely expensive looking carbon road bike in the base of the control tower. Probably not an option for everyone though 😀

footflaps

The only comfort would be the thought that the area immediately around the airport/station is likely to be one of the most CCTV-ed and policed in the area, and that a bike thief might look for a softer target elsewhere rather than just stroll in with his boltcroppers.

Means nothing, they revamped Cambridge Station recently with a huge indoor bike park with CCTV. Only they refuse to access the CCTV if your bike gets nicked. It’s now the #1 spot in Cambridge to have a bike stolen from as every bike thief knows they have a free pass in there.

snotrag

What about the Hilton or Clayton Hotel – could you pay them to store it for you? (They will store ‘luggage’ I think?).

thenorthwind

Actually snotrag has reminded me of this site I found when I was in a similar situation: https://stasher.com/ Like airbnb for luggage.

Didn’t use it in the end, but good idea.

globalti
    Free Member

Why not go and ask on Cycle Chat? There are plenty on there who live in that area and might store it for you.

mikeyp

Thanks I’ll ask. I only want to cycle to the airport, lock it up and for it to be there 3 days later.

brownsauce
    Free Member

Sounds like way more hassle / risk than its worth , just catch the bus / train & leave the bike at home…

imnotverygood

Another way of looking at it. Who goes to an airport to nick a bike? I suspect it is a fairly safe place to leave one. Used to leave mine completely unlocked at Edinburgh, albeit only for a few minutes. Unlikely that the neds would go all their way out there & I doubt a tourist is going to have bolt cutters with them.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Leaving a bike at Manchester airport?’ is closed to new replies.