Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Leathermans
  • Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

That’s why I carry a leatherman juice, it’s their equivalent of swiss army knife with non locking blades

Not a problem unless you’re getting scanned as no one is every really going to check

Leathermans

My second favourite Village Person, after the Construction Worker.

I’ve an old Leatherman Fuse which is still like new despite years of abuse offshore.

Also have a Skeletool which lives in my walking/camping pack.

I had one Gerber years ago (don’t remember which model) but the quality wasn’t close to a Leatherman.

I like my Victorinox SwissTool in black, replace 2 Gerber Suspensions which I managed to break some how…. Victorinox is a lot nicer made tool if a bit expensive….

I wonder what happens to all these multi-tools that get confiscated at airports?

Merak

The world’s airport security staff probably have a multi tool wars Instagram page.

Premier Icon TiRed
    Subscriber

Binned with everything else I’m afraid. Sorry. I do ask him “what’s he’s confiscated today?” When he finishes his shifts. Anyway, the 6cm is measured from the hinge which rules out most of the full sized tools.

CountZero

I’ve got a Gerber Legend MP800, it’s my second, after I lost my first one when the small bag it was in with a power pack and cables fell out of my courier bag in the back of a car somewhere when I was a plater. 😢 I was particularly upset because it was a Christmas pressy from my mum.
    I managed to get another from the States, ex-counter display model, saved me nearly £50. It has a number of features I particularly like, the cutter blades in the pliers are triangular tungsten carbide inserts held in by a Torx bolt, and can be rotated or replaced if they get worn or chipped. They’re the only thing I’ve found that’ll cut security wires some dealers put on car keys – I’ve tried heavy duty hard-wire cutters that just got dented, the Gerber chopped straight through.
    The saw has a Remgrit multipurpose blade, but I’ve got a set of Black&Decker fit jigsaw blades from Wilkos that fit, so I can swap it out for longer blades than will fold into the handle for cutting larger items, which is handy – I carry those inside the belt sheath.

The new Leatherman FREE series look good, though not cheap:
    https://www.maxim.com/gear/new-leatherman-free-2019-3

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

@Merak yep. It’s a good tool.

Premier Icon AlasdairMc
    Subscriber

I have a Micra, received for my 18th birthday so fast approaching its warranty expiry. Also a Skeletool CX that gets used a lot, mainly blade and screwdrivers.

Finally, my main tool at home is an OHT, bought in the US for about £35. It’s heavy but the spring pliers and the accessibility of the tools is why I have it.

I wonder if there is not an opportunity for a pop up shop in either LGW or LHR to post back all the knives , perfume , and overweight bags to the homes of people who make the scholboy error of trying to carry on a bladed articles, have overpacked , or simply do not understand the fluids rules
    Trouble is you would have to charge probably between £15 and £25 per delivery to cover wages , rent , postage and business rates, and then make no profit

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

If you lose stuff at the airport or on a plane that’s exactly what they do. There’s a business that collects it, files it and you can get it back – for a significant fee.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

replace 2 Gerber Suspensions which I managed to break some how….

Gerber’s warentee is something ridiculous like 30 years. I emailed to as if I could buy a replacement screwdriver blade for my suspension as I’d chipped the corner off after 5 years. They just said post it in and replaced the whole thing

they’re too bulky in your pocket though so I use a sidekick now

I have a friend who worked with American SF in Afghanistan. He totally recommwndes the SOG multitool that was issued to the Americans. When i was lucky enough to visit the states i got a SOG Powerlock multitool, which seemed way better than Leatherman and i have been really really impressed with its quality.

Sui

Had my Leather an Charge Ti for 20 years now, seemed to be the best tool for decarbing rifles. It’s always with me when on the bike now Nd has come to the rescue many many times.. I dread the day I forget its in some hand luggage!

Merak

After all that I think I’m going to go for a Swisstool.

Premier Icon akira
    Subscriber

Swiss stool is what happens at an airport when you eat too much toblerone.

Premier Icon TiRed
    Subscriber

I wonder if there is not an opportunity for a pop up shop in either LGW or LHR to post back all the knives , perfume , and overweight bags to the homes of people who make the scholboy error of trying to carry on a bladed articles, have overpacked , or simply do not understand the fluids rules

It’s already available. Not cheap though, so the default option is to bin it. Going out and checking in your luggage is always a better and cheaper option.

Biggest so far is a knife from a USM. About 12”. Guy said he’d just get another from supplies when he got back.

In Switzerland Victorinox used to have a shop post security in Geneva. Not sure if it’s there still. I still use my little white penknife too.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

I’ve had one of these:

https://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-400-compact-sport-05500.htm

.. for about 25 years now and it’s still going strong. It’s been all over with me and did a lost and found gig on the Everest Base Camp trail back in 1999. Light enough to carry in a bike pack without fussing, has a good spread of tools including pliers, screwdrivers and scissor things that cut through pretty much everything. Stainless steel, well designed, easy to use.

I’ve never really felt the need to buy anything else and I’d probably just get the same again if I were to lose it.

Picked up a Skeletool CX (CX means a little bit of carbon – all steel are available) from Go Outdoors yesterday.

Their full list price – £110 (£129 on LM website), with discount £99, in the sale £74, because they couldn’t find the box cost me £55 😊

It’s basic though – blade, pliers, bottle opener and screwdriver bits x4 – I have all the bit sets separate though

That takes me to three LM multi-tools and a Gerber knife

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

On my second Wave, my first was in a bag that was nicked from my garage.  Still angry about that.

I looked at the various options when I came to buy a new one and came to the conclusion the Wave was perfect for me.

Premier Icon Jerm
    Subscriber

It’s worth bearing in mind that most Leathermans have a locking blade and are therefore illegal to carry unless you have a good reason. If you have it whilst working, that is a good reason but if you have it on you afterwards because you forgot to take it out of your pocket or bag, that is not.

I have a PST which doesn’t lock so is okay to carry

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Original PST. It’s 20 years old

That made me question how old my Mini is – it was given to me well before I got married, and that’s 18 years ago. Been on my keyring ever since.

If you have it whilst working, that is a good reason but if you have it on you afterwards because you forgot to take it out of your pocket or bag, that is not.

Based on the amount of times I’ve been arrested and searched in nearly 50 years, I’m guessing I might get away with it.

Taking it to footy matches etc would be stupid (trying to get an a plane is also stupid, but I tried that – by mistake 😂) but I think in general everyday life I’ll probably be ok

plumber

I’ve had a skeletool for around 15 years – sits in my guitar tool box for string changes and various other small chores – mostly useful

I’ve have a wenger snowboard knife which is still the most lovely well engineered thing – sadly not available for years now, must have had mine about 17 years

DrJ

Which one has the best scissors? That’s the tool I actually use most!

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

If you have it whilst working, that is a good reason but if you have it on you afterwards because you forgot to take it out of your pocket or bag, that is not.

as a 43yr old, white middle class male, i’d hazard a guess that would be considered a pretty good reason, unless of course I’d just stabbed someone..

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Which one has the best scissors? That’s the tool I actually use most!

The scissors on the one I linked to above are great for stuff like cutting accessory cord, climbing tape, wire etc. Not ideal for paper and similar as the blades are quite short. I most use scissors for that sort of thing. Or the Swiss Army knife ones are okay.

I guess it depends on what you mean by ‘best’. Those Gerber ones are good for cutting through hard to cut things ime.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

I’ve got a Charge Ti and a Gerber Suspension.

The Charge has been used for everything from trail side repairs to minor dentistry over the 10 or so years I’ve had it. It could do with the blades being sharpened but other than that its in good shape.

The Gerber, I don’t think I’ve ever used in anger, its basically brand new. Amazon were doing some daft offer and I got it for about £20. Its nice enough but compared to the Leatherman I don’t like the way the tools lock and unlock, its very fiddly in comparison to the Leatherman.

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

IMO the main reasons to go for Gerber were more rapid access to pliers (how realistically urgent is that ever going to be?!) and the ability to open/unlock the knives without opening the tool, with one hand (which can be a problem sometimes)

Leatherman sorted the second issue about 10yrs ago so I really don’t see any reason to buy a Gerber now.

Is there no way to carry proper tools in your line of work OP? I’d far rather have the actual tools the likes of a leatherman has, they’re a poor substitute in use.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.