Leathermans

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Leathermans
  • Merak

Does anybody use one?

What do you recommend?

parkesie

Depends what you want to do with it. I use a surge as a general cutting and grabbing. A crunch for the mole grips and hex bit driver.

Premier Icon winston
    Subscriber

I have a Skeletool RX

It has been used in a couple of rescue situations……… and million beer opening/cheese slicing/ikea building/bike bodging events.

Its always with me except at airports…..that only happens once.

Its several years old and looks like new

Merak

I need it for work, general jobbing stuff.

Pliers would be handy, sharp knife a bonus, screwdriver and Allen keys too.

Was thinking about a Wave.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

I’m on my second wave. First one is at Berlin airport…

Everything on it individually would be bettered by a dedicated tool but It’s pretty handy and it lives in my work bag.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Wave (must be around 10 years old now). Still like new except that the end of the scissors handle has snapped off making them unusable. Keep thinking about replacing it with a new one because of that, but I’m kind of attached to it now…

Merak

A salient point re airports. Check it in!

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

Wave here. Use it all the time, and it’s the first thing I pack when going on holiday.

Great warranty too- I snapped a screwdriver on a Pulse undoing a bolt in -10 temps. Sent it back to leatherman who replaced it with a Wave foc

Also made the airport mistake but an incredibly helpful security chap walked me to the checkin desk and let me check in my hand luggage as hold with the leatherman so I didn’t have to leave it! A few years ago mind, doubt they’d do that now.

Premier Icon greenskin
    Subscriber

I’ve got two, the Signal and an old wave. Both brilliant, the wave is well travelled, been used in anger more times than I care to remember and still going strong.

To be honest, you can’t go wrong with any Leatherman.

Premier Icon PePPeR
    Subscriber

Gerber suspension any day over my leatherman. Being able to get the blades and tools out without fully opening up the tool is a major advantage.

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

I use my Wingman at work ever day.
    Also have a Skeletool in my bike kit. The screwdriver holder wouldn’t hold on my first one, so it was replaced under warranty.

I used to have a Charge tti, which I stupidly left in the wrong bag on a return airport trip a few years ago 🙄 it was duly confiscated!

I’ve recently bought a new Charge + tti, with some bit kits etc.

For me though, 90% of the time, I drive round with a van full of tools, so the Leatherman is more of a vanity/occasional convenience tool

I also bought a LM Style CS the other day as a keyring multi tool – it’s got a little blade and awl, but the scissors are better than the Charge – no point buying a micro tool with pliers

Keep thinking about replacing it with a new one because of that, but I’m kind of attached to it now…

I’d get it fixed or fix it myself. link to some scissors

A
    Time for some odd tinkering?

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Malvern Rider
    I’d get it fixed or fix it myself. link to some scissors
    btw these are compelling: https://youtu.be/mBqdKs0fHUY

Off the back of this thread have dropped Leatherman UK an email. Might well have a DIY crack if they can’t help.

Premier Icon greenskin
    Subscriber

I’d be pretty bummed if I had to get rid of that wave. Got a lot of tour memories attached to it.

Funny, it was always the blokes with Gerbers that usually wound up borrowing the Leatherman…

TiRed

Original PST. It’s 20 years old and I’ll probably take it to my grave. Have a more recent one too, but the PST lives in THE kitchen draw everyone has, ready for action. I use it several times a week.

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

I’ve a Gerber Suspension & a Leatherman Kick

The Leatherman is just a better product, better made, higher quality tools and nicer to use. Love mine and use it all the time.

Rich

Have a look at the Victorinox Spirit X.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

My Leatherman Wave is on permaholiday at Palma airport ☹️

I have a couple of Gerber Suspensions (1 in the car and 1 with my skiing kit) which are 95% as useful and only 30% of the price.

I’ve got a 10 year old Rebar in black that still looks brand new. I prefer the blocky, retro look to the new curvy ones and it’s a solid bit of kit.

It’s been in my bag or on my bike for almost every single ride in that time.

Premier Icon neila
    Subscriber

Leatherman Wave and Gerber Suspension here, my problem is that we’re not allowed open blades at work only safety blades. Can anyone suggest a usable multi tool with pliers and the usual tools without an open blade?

nostrils

Have several multitools from Gerber, Leatherman and Victorinox. Nice things to have but I personally don’t find them that useful. Mainly used for opening packaging, although my cheapy Gerber Octane is very useful for fishing.

Houns

Gerber suspension in daily use here for the last 2 years, happy with it

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

Argh, now I want a wave.  I’ve always been put off by the screwdrivers being too painful to use but I see there is an extension available 🙁

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

I have a few – mini, micra, p4, s4, ps4, xe6, skeletool, wave

I like Multitools, have a couple of victorinox swisstools too, plus a gerber

Ps4 gets carried everywhere, it’s on my keys. Mini is in my commuting bag, sadly no longer made. Skeletool or wave gets carried on my MTB. Juice xe6 or a SAK often in my rucksack

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I find Gerber better than Leather man but it seems to vary by model.

Wave user here . My PST is also in the bin at LGW , my fault as I had 2 and packed one in my hold bag then the x-ray machine spotted my ‘spare’ in the end compartment of my carry on. No time to queue up for 2nd bag check in.
    Snapped one of the blades , but its a good tool . The locking mechansim is simple and clever and stops your cutting off your own fingers

I have a Pulse which is at least 15 years old, well used and abused but looks as good as new. I also have a Squirt which lives in my bike bag. I do have a bike multitool too, but I carry the Squirt for the pliers and because it’s tiny and weighs next to nowt.

Premier Icon peekay
    Subscriber

Leathermen not Leathermans surely?!

Premier Icon burko73
    Subscriber

I’ve got an original wave still in use. Must be almost 25 yrs old and still in good nick. Been useful loads of times. Even survives salt water occasionally with a rinse now and again.

Edit – new wave looks good. The screwdrivers were always a bit of a compromise on the original. Looks like the pliers head locks too?

Do the knife blades still lock given the recent uk law changes?

TiRed

Leathermans surely?!

No, actually. Leatherman is the surname of the inventor.

If travelling, nothing with a flat blades screwdriver is allowed. Nor a blade. You are allowed to go back out and check in hand luggage if you have time. There is a also a postal service offered at Heathrow that isn’t cheap. Son2 is a security officer at T2 whilst he saves for flying school.

devash

I bought a Wave Plus a couple of years ago. It is solidly built and usually my go to for little jobs. I think the rrp is around 130 quid but I paid less than 100 on some pre Christmas deal at what was then our local Blacks camping shop. If you need one for hiking or biking though then I would look at one of the lighter models because the wave is quite heavy.

tjagain

Leathermans just sounds wrong!

Merak

Does anyone use a Wingman?

WillH

I had a smallish purple-anodised Leatherman something-or-other which got nicked by a light-fingered baggage handler in the Philippines. Was good up to that point.

Replaced it with a Wave – probably twelve years ago now – which is rock solid. It gets used for all sorts of odd jobs, usually in ways it’s not designed for like using the knife blade to prise things open, or using the insanely sharp scissors as a combined digging tool/tweezers to remove splinters, or using the whole, closed tool as a hammer. It just works, and works well.

I just had the knife sharpened – on a market stall by an ancient bloke with a massive beard and blue overalls, using a belt sander contraption that looked like it’d have your finger off as soon as look at it – and now it’s so sharp I feel like Death, having just sharpened my scythe on the first rays of dawn light…

So basically, buy a Wave.

Premier Icon superleggero
    Subscriber

I have a Leatherman Style PS which is quite small but has proved useful on cycling trips. Has mini pliers which I’ve used to pull small thorns from a punctured tyre. Pliers also good enough to grip/pull/cut gear cable. Also has clip which allows it to attach to loop on rucksack so quite handy. Nice supplementary tool to Topeak Hexus.

My little tool collection. Leatherman Charge+ tti, Leatherman Style CS keychain tool, Gerber Pocket Square knife

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2igAMbA]2020-01-18_11-05-57[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

TiRed

If travelling, no blade over 6cm in hand luggage. That rules out my PST. Also it’s based on profiling, so you’ll get asked why you need it? Screwdrivers on the tool are ok, stand-alone are not. My juice would be allowed.

easily

I think there are two pretty useful options to choose from: a Wave or a Skeletool.

The Skeletool is quite basic, but is small, light, and easy to carry everywhere. The Wave is noticeably bigger and heavier, but has pretty much everything you’ll need. Frankly, if the tool you need isn’t on a Wave you should probably be carrying a toolbox instead.
    I carried one or the other with me everywhere for the 10 years I lived in Thailand, where they were remarkably useful. I bought Waves for a couple of my Thai friends when I left, as they were always so impressed with them.

Back in the UK I kept a Skeltool in the bottom of my bag until the day I visited the Science museum. When I entered they asked if I had a knife; thinking nothing of it I showed them the tool, which they confiscated from me, then called the police.
    The police told me I could have been arrested for possession of an offensive weapon*, that they were confiscating it and I could not claim it back. Funnily, they couldn’t close the blade and had to give it to me so I could show them how.

Anyway, be careful what you choose, as it can get you into a bit of trouble. I believe there is a Gerber multi-tool that has only small, unlock able blades, which is theoretically UK legal. Hang on, here’s an Amazon link:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KYO627M/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=gs2&linkId=4a77b9965137c3e1e4d211209cb15fdb&creativeASIN=B00KYO627M&tag=bluespennies-21&creative=9325&camp=1789
    It looks a bit awkward to carry with that pointy end, but is probably your best bet if you’re UK based. I might even get one myself.

*I find this amusing, as it takes a fair time to get open and lock the blade. I can’t imagine any opponents politely waiting around while you get yourself ready. A screwdriver would be a much more effective weapon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.