• This topic has 107 replies, 77 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by pjm7.
Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Least listenable record you own.
  • pigyn
    Free Member

Around the fur is an amazing album, shush you.

For me it’s the second Mr Bungle album. First had moments of class, third had lots of good bits. Second was terrible.

lister

@cletus : I came here to say Land Speed Record.(and if I’m honest I don’t ‘get’ Zen Arcade either – and that’s sacrilege apparently!).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

EMF’s Schubert Dip, don’t think it’s been out of the CD case for >25 years!

Only decent song IMO was…

dove1

Fleet Foxes eponymous album. Utter rubbish.

edhornby

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Tolerance_for_Silence

@simondbarnes
    – if I have it still it’ll be in the loft at the bottom of the box of CDs – I bet its on spotify or something but if I can put my hand on it I’ll send it on

to be fair – there are lots of other Metheny albums that are glorious, and if you aren’t necessarily a jazz fan the Missouri Sky album is great

chakaping
    Free Member

Well Suicide’s debut LP is brilliant and ground-breaking, but it’s not exactly the kind of thing I like to put on and hum along. Especially Frankie Teardrop.

It’s like the audio equivalent of the new Twin Peaks.

Saw them live actually, and it was the most brutal and intense performance I’ve ever experienced from a band. Made MBV’s “wall of sound” seem like easy listening.

I’ve got a They Might be Giants album where the second half is a live improvisation based around the Planet of The Apes. Only tried listening to it once.

zinaru
    Free Member

some fantastic music mentioned here – dead c, terry riley, of course reed’s metal machine music always gets a mention.

i write an experimental music blog in my spare time – OBLADADA. i suppose stuff like roland kayn’s scanning or a little electronic milky way of sound are genuinely challenging although i absolutely love them.

merzbow, gaseneta, fushitusha and les rallizes denudes can blow folk of their feet a bit as well with some wild japanese savagery. i suppose its what you like and i geniuely am drawn to what many folk see to find unlistenable (my wife for example).

for me, unlistenable is music that actually causes that weird second hand embarrassment. so music thats so hideously cheesy to make me squirm. top loader, lighthouse family, simply red and m-people are just a few masters of that oeuvre.

give me atonal jazz, strobing minimalism or alien electronics over that rubbish anyday…

DezB
    Free Member

for me, unlistenable is music that actually causes that weird second hand embarrassment. so music thats so hideously cheesy to make me squirm. top loader, lighthouse family, simply red and m-people are just a few masters of that oeuvre

Ah yes, but you wouldn’t actually own it! I do however, own that Simple Minds album and a… I’m too embarrassed.. Paul Young album 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Well Suicide’s debut LP is brilliant and ground-breaking, but it’s not exactly the kind of thing I like to put on and hum along. Especially Frankie Teardrop.

One of my favourite albums. I did, however purchase a follow up of album 2 with some demos/rehearsal tapes. Now that was unlistenable!

zinaru
    Free Member

haha! correct – although i did buy the best of simply red for my mum years ago which caused an amusing ripple with my amazon recommendations…

goslow

Another vote for Metal Machine Music. I knew it would be bad but felt I had to get it as I have all his other studio albums.

DezB
    Free Member

zinaru

i did buy the best of simply red.

Fixed it 😀

plyphon
    Free Member

I think I’ve still got a record somewhere where the center label moved during pressing, and got pressed into the grooves – I told the shop and got a replacement, and they said keep the ruined one.

It’s literally unlistenable, because it doesn’t play.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I also bought the Arc album. I really wanted the Weld album but couldn’t afford it so bought Arc instead, I love Neil but…. Also never managed to listen to Grinderman 2 all the way through. Can’t even find it at the moment.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

link
    How about some experimental music from John Tavener ‘In Alium’. its not something I listen to much.

simondbarnes

@edhornby Listening on youtube now 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

The Hospitals, truly awful. I was unfortunate enough to be given a copy…

oomidamon

‘Finbegin’ – William Reid solo album, recorded after JAMCs ‘Munki’. Sounds like it was recorded by a care in the community patient.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I’m assuming you mean tuneless rather than just not liking it anymore.

On the not liking it anymore front I do remember being very excited about buying Einstein-a-Go-Go on 7″ vinyl in Preedy’s Banstead High Street in errrr…(checks Google for release date) 1981 and walking home then playing it about three times before deciding it was rubbish.

I think it’s still in my singles box in the under stairs cupboard. It hasn’t been played since.

That’s 79p I’m never getting back…

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Influenced a whole (Much better) genre but is absolute SHITE

null

DezB
    Free Member

Who’s Jo Hell?

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Ken Hells Sister.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Bowie’s Black Star. What a bag of frogs’ tits.
    What a way to leave it.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Flux of Pink Indians. I love their early stuff but this … no
    The F C treat us like P or the F P treat us like C

Just flicked through, as a long shot, to see if anyone had the same album in mind.
    Two shouts! Three now.

tomaso
    Free Member

12 inch and dated badly

tomaso
    Free Member

plyphon

I think I’ve still got a record somewhere where the center label moved during pressing, and got pressed into the grooves – I told the shop and got a replacement, and they said keep the ruined one.

It’s literally unlistenable, because it doesn’t play.

I have a ten inch green vinyl one sided jungle tune based on a Bob Marley jamming bass line with an off centre hole. If anything it improves the vibe with a kinda of wobbly bass ting.

ratherbeintobago

@stevenmenmuir

I never made it through Grinderman 1. Mind you, I bought a Bad Seeds album to see what the fuss was about, and was less than impressed.

pjm7
    Free Member

Flux of Pink Indians. I love their early stuff but this … no
    The F C treat us like P or the F P treat us like C

Just flicked through, as a long shot, to see if anyone had the same album in mind.
    Two shouts! Three now.

Agreed, also Yes sir I will by Crass isn’t a lot of fun.

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Least listenable record you own.’ is closed to new replies.