• This topic has 107 replies, 77 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by pjm7.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Least listenable record you own.
  • cinnamon_girl

Neil Young has form for some pretty terrible albums.

RustySpanner

aide

Subscriber

My worst has to be John Frusciante’s second solo album ‘smile from the streets you hold’ – it was basically recorded as he ran out of money for drugs, and its clearly apparent that he was desperate at the time

True, it’s awful. 🙂

See also……

I like minimalist classical stuff.
    These two usually drive people crazy, especially ‘proper’ musicians.
    Which can only be a good thing 🙂

h4muf
    Free Member

Some Aphex Twin tracks are utter shite!

scaredypants

Diamanda Galas – The Divine Punishment

or maybe Lauryn Hill – The Miseducation (and somehow I’ve 2 copies of that **** !)

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I went through a phase of being a digital hardcore fan, quite a few unlistenable records from those years but Atari Teenage Riot – Live from Brixton Academy probably tops the lot. Strangely one of the best gigs ive ever attended was by the same band 😀

RustySpanner

Ooooh, that’s fun. 🙂
    The perfect soundtrack to bad speed and random acid.

Anyone a fan of The Astronauts?

Mark is a bit of a hero of mine…

He’s made some amazingly beautiful music….

…and some slightly more challenging stuff….

….but he deserves to be listened to.

crikey
    Free Member

Records?

Tell us more Grandad…

Atomizer

Flux of Pink Indians. I love their early stuff but this … no
    The F C treat us like P or the F P treat us like C

RustySpanner

Any Shaggs fans btw?

I blame the parents…..

Sat here going through the vinyl collection atm.
    Just found a Dollar 12″ a mate won in a Piccadilly Radio giveaway in the mid 80’s, along with the already posted Root Boy Slim album. 🙂
    Now that IS bad…..

Listening to Beauty Stab by ABC atm, a record that everyone hated at the time. Not heard it for years. I rather like it.

DezB
    Free Member

Lovely story behind the Shaggs.. did they actually sell any records?? 😆

RustySpanner

Who knows? 🙂

Yep, great story, an early internet phenomenon.
    For ages I thought they were a set up, but apparantly true. 🙂

It’s the sincerity that makes it wonderful.

Superb thread btw, thanks.

mogrim

How can anyone hate the Ozrics? 🙁

easily
    Free Member

How can anyone hate the Ozrics?

By them turning up and trying to play at every rave I went to between 1990 and 1995.

CheesybeanZ

Rammstien, industrial metal- what a load of overrated crap.

DezB
    Free Member

That’s pretty much why I don’t own any Rammstienn 😂

hodgynd
    Free Member

Thankfully I never had a “hard “copy ..but I did pay for an itunes copy of The Mars Volta ” The Bedlam in Goliath “..
    The biggest pile of shite to ever assault my lugs..

DezB
    Free Member

Yes, I had one of his more recent albums on CD – it was completely unlistenable due to the lyrics. They were atrocious! I must’ve binned it, cos its not in the cabinet!

simondbarnes

I think I have an experimental Pat Metheny solo album that even I didn’t get to the end of.

I would love that, fee free to send it to me 🙂

I don’t think I own any unlistenable albums. Sure, some I need to be in the right mood to listen to but they’re all good in their own way.

tomparkin

I think it would probably have to be one of the TWO Tool albums I still own. Dreary, pretentious tripe, although I seem to recall liking it as a young chap.

If it were “Least listenable albums you’ve owned” I’d be off to the races, having grown up at the point nu-metal started being a thing :-(. Low points included Limp Bizkit’s first album, and a shockingly bad effort from a band rejoicing in the name “Jack off Jill”.

Not all that era was bad though. I can still listen to Deftones “Around the Fur”, and pretty much all of Fu Manchu’s output from the late 90s was on point.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I thought someone might mention Atari Teenage Riot – I’ve really tried to like it, and Alec Empire’s solo stuff, but I just can’t..

Deftones are never not listenable though, that’s sacrilege to suggest otherwise! Right, Where’s my copy of Taylor Swift..

metalheart
    Free Member

Metal Machine Music.

It’s literally impossible to listen to it to the end.

Woah, I just about dived in there with the starting the obvious. To infinity and beyond!

Whitey album, how **** dare you! One of the funnest evenings of my life was spent chatting with Susanne (Sesic?) the cool rock chick listening to neu about how to make glitter ‘pants’ (us stylee obvs) and completely failing to have heard of let alone recognise the Vase-lines…

@Rusty
    I’ll see yer Steve Reich and Terry Riley and give you, well, Steve Reich…

I will trump all of you with Tex Ritter (yup, I really do own this…)

Which reminds, I also have this!

metalheart
    Free Member

From memory, this also used to garner, er, a reaction when I played it…

I still love it (well some of it anyways)

As does this:

Took me years to track it down.

CountZero

Black Midi
    Holy shite they’re bad.

Really only heard one song that 6Music are playing, and I’m really not at all certain whether I like it or not; I rather think it would get a bit wearing after a couple of songs.
    Everything Everything I find intensely annoying, the singer’s style of singing really irritates me, which is why I don’t own any of their stuff.

Records?

Tell us more Grandad…

I hate to break it to you, but anything you listen to on Spotify or any other streaming service is a record, or a recording.

Hmmm, yes…

nick1962
    Free Member

Ha ha,I’ve got both From Langley park and The Madcap laughs on record and that ain’t too shabby imho.
    But this album, which I also have on vinyl is just too difficult for me.Apparently David Byrne,Brian Eno,Lene Lovich guest on it which I didn’t know when I bought it.40 1 minute tracks,their commercial album
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Album

mrb123
    Free Member

Was bought Bob Dylan, Shadows in the Night as a present. Absolute shocker. Poor old Bob really can’t sing any more.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ciccone Youth whitey is pretty bad apart from the 2 singles.

i think I bought that and played it once. (Sonic Youth’s pop side IIRC). Is it the one with a Madonna cover?.

Also, was Flux of Pink Indians basically CRASS? or member(s) of? after they’d disbanded?.

I’ve got an einstürzende neubauten Album that I’ve never listened to, but turned out when I valued all my albums that was the most valuable (presumably because it’s an original print and obscure).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Madcap Laughs is ace. You’re all bonkers.

CountZero

Trying to think of the least listenable album/s I own; there’s plenty of stuff I liked when I bought it, but no longer get pleasure from, but there’s a couple that got one listen, and one only.
    This is supposed to be a classic Krautrock album, but is an… aquired taste.

This one got rave reviews…

What was I thinking! 😣

white101

A few years back I mentioned to the BIL the killers first album (ok CD) was ok, about 2 years later and every subsequent year I got a Brandon Flowers record for my birthday. Most of them are still in cellophane wrapping. It all went wrong after Mr Brightside.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I remember Kings of the Wild Frontier album going from must have album to be the coolest kid in school, to you’re an utter embarrassing loser with no chance of ever getting off with a girl, in a matter of months (it might have been 12).

Cletus

I love Husker Du but find most of their pre-Metal Circus output hard work.

If you asked my wife she would probably say Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers – still love it nearly 30 years on.

DezB
    Free Member

Quite an odd one is Dale Barclay’s (RIP) last band And Yet It Moves – they were absolutely incredible live, but the album… well I can listen to it, but it is nuts. I can’t imagine many people will enjoy it! I’ve got 2 copies, so if anyone wants one 😀

metalheart
    Free Member

I can’t believe that I sold this album…

oldnick

Damn you Atomiser!

That album is the only one I’ve got that I can honestly say I’ve never finished one track on it 🙂
    There was a Voivod album that I turned into a plant pot holder, I don’t miss that one bit.

Do these awful old records have any value these days? I’ve got boxes of utter rubbish in the attic…

gordimhor

The least listenable record I ever owned was Takeaway /The lure of salvage by Andy Partridge. It was an lp of dub versions of XTC songs. I liked both dub reggae and XTC, so what could go wrong. Everything, I still like dub but it put me off XTC for life. Fortunately someone stole my car about 15 years ago and wrote it off. Every cloud has a silver lining that record was in the boot and was destroyed along with the car.

hatter

I can think of some pretty nasty stuff, but out of what I actually still own…. probably this:

tjagain

The high Llamas – Hawaii

Bought after a guardian recommendation. Pure drivel I don’t think I played it fully once

choppersquad
    Free Member

I don’t own it because I took it back to Our Price the day after I bought it, but OK Computer was about as unlistenable and dreary as I can remember.

Watty

The high Llamas – Hawaii

Bought after a guardian recommendation. Pure drivel I don’t think I played it fully once

Me too teej. I dug it out the other day, then put it back in the cupboard quick-smart. Interestingly someone mentioned ‘We Hate You South African Bastards’ on the last page. Sean O’Hagen, of the High Llamas, was the other half of Microdisney, my all time favourite band.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Least listenable record you own.’ is closed to new replies.