Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Least contested olympic sport, best chance to represent GB in 2016?
  • DT78
    Free Member

So, if you dedicated the next 4 years of your life to a sport with the aim of being at the 2016 olympics representing GB what would be the best sport to give a try?

Got to be something obscure, but with relatively high equipment costs?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you considered taking up mountain biking?

donsimon
    Free Member

Have you considered taking up mountain biking?

We’d have to get someone to build some mountains first. 😕

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Pole Vaulting?

A mate of mine was in the top 10 in the country when we were kids… there were only 10 people in his age group.

deluded
    Free Member

Initially I thought I’d give the shooting a go but then I remembered a clay shoot on a stag do in Scotland a few years ago. It was pretty poor – I couldn’t hit a Death Star at 20ft.

Can we include the Winter Olympics? If so I’d be a middle gimp in a four-man bobsleigh team.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There isn’t one.

DT78
    Free Member

Didn’t the lass who won gold in rowing only start 3 years ago? Got the feeling I’d be terrible at pole vaulting

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DD – you really did forget to put your pants on when you played beach volleyball, didn’t you?

footflaps

Your best bet would be to be born an undiscovered genetic freak then take up a strength / stamina sport (rather than skill like Tennis / shooting) as it could be possible to get enough training in 4 years to stand a chance of competing.

flatfish
    Free Member

Can we include the Winter Olympics? If so I’d be a middle gimp in a four-man bobsleigh team.

Is that to aid the bobsleigh’s gravitational pull?

deluded
    Free Member

😀 Taylor, playing to my strengths.

brakes
    Free Member

something on a horsey?
    you just have to stay on don’t you?
    oh and you need a posh name and some big teeth.
    call yourself Piggy Templeton-Farkit or Marcus Mandarin-Spaff.

nealglover
    Free Member

Have done bobsleigh a few times and it’s incredibly hard work. The level of fitness required is far higher than you might think. Just stopping your head from hitting the floor of the thing is bloody hard work !

The brake man I used to know was 2.5″ shorter after 3 years of training runs.

(I’m only 5’6″ now, can’t afford to lose any !!)

crazy-legs

If/when they make “arguing on internet forums” a recognised sport, there’d be a few strong contenders on here… Maybe you could go in for that?

Alternatively, try sailing or rowing? Lots of different classes and sub divisions in all of those so if you find you’re rubbish at one, you can always try a different branch and it’s an excuse to have loads of kit so should suit most MTBers. 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

By the looks of it, Badminton would be the best bet. In fact, they would be positively queueing up to play you.

bikeytom
    Free Member

I was watching the archery earlier and thinking “how hard can that be?”

Also the Brit who won gold in clay pigeon shooting has only been at it for 4 yeas so there’s another option.

Maybe you could discover a long lost relative in an obscure and under-represented country and compete in whatever you like for them?

bikeytom
    Free Member

Just to add, I do appreciate that archery is almost certainly very difficult.

STATO
    Free Member

You need something where you can train technique and fitness, easy enough to get good at those sort of sports with dedication to training and time. Anything with a high degree of skill to even compete requires a lifetime to get good. Hence the rower who came from no-where in 3 years, dedication to training and good coaching on technique. Obviously to get medal worthy requires a particular level of skill which training alone may not provide.

druidh
    Free Member

It would help if you’d attended an “independent” school

“It tells you that 50 percent of the medals came from 7 per cent of the population,” Moynihan said. “It’s one of the worst statistics in British sport.
    “It is wholly unacceptable that over 50 percent of our medallists in Beijing came from the independent sector.”

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/unacceptable-elite-schools-dominate-uk-medals-193623966–spt.html

Klunk
    Free Member

yeah it does help if your school still has a playing field.

Badger
    Free Member

5’6″ is a problem as it rules out quiet a few sports we’re not that good at (and you’d therefore stand a chance a quickly progressing).

Tall is needed for the rowing and is a hell of a help in the cycling (long legs = long levers etc.)

On the other hand one of the team GB men running the marathon has only ever competed in one elite level marathon – he won Berlin in 2hrs 10min and therefore qualified. He’s had a “gentle” go round the london marathon course (also being used for the games) to learn it but otherwise thats it! (by the way “gentle” in this context means he did a sub 3 hours!)

So some of the running events and the field events might be a possible…. how’s your shot-put?

jonba
    Free Member

3 day eventing*.

Being able to buy the right horses will help, you’ll need someone to help train, look after and exercise them for you. Not a huge number of countries do it. Also if you don’t succeed you can keep going into your fifty’s for more attempts.

*I ride a bit and it might not be all that easy…

edhornby

Modern Pentathlon is probably the easiest, a shoe in for those who have access to horses and fencing tuition and a swimming pool and a gun

Badger
    Free Member

of course you could chop a leg or arm off and go for one of the paralympic events… although I think the paralympic committee might look badly on self mutilation in order to get to the games…. and you’d still have to find a sport we’re crap at and then dedicate everyday for the next 4 years to training to stand even a snowflake in hells chance of getting selected!

If anything we have even more astoundingly good atheltes in the paralympics!

nealglover
    Free Member

5’6″ is a problem as it rules out quiet a few sports we’re not that good at (and you’d therefore stand a chance a quickly progressing).

If it were me, I would be looking at the winter Olympics anyway.

I used to race Super G a good few years ago. But only the weekender club races in Austria.
    And wasn’t ever into training enough to get good (by Austrian standards)

Way over the bill now though at 39 🙁

Badger
    Free Member

cross country skiing and shooting event?
    Not sure we have many in that and it’s air-rifle shooting which is easier as you’d be able to train the shooting in the UK (unless it’s a very powerful air rifle?).

Also you could do basic training on a good cross trainer and need to hit the snow less often…. actually thinking about it, unlike downhill, slalom etc. you’d be able to train on snow in cheap – non ski based resorts in the winter as its on the flat (ish)… so no paying through the nose for months in Val d’isere at the height of posh people holiday season!

Klunk
    Free Member

curling, do the brush people get a medal cos i’m a pretty good with the ol’ broom.

Edric64
    Free Member

You could pretend to be disabled .Was it the Spanish wheelchair basket ball team who tried this and got found out a few years ago ?

Badger
    Free Member

Spanish basketball team for a certain specified level of mental disability…. which they faked…. and got found out!

Doh! So they were not mentally disabled…. just stupid!

blades2000
    Free Member

Windsurfing would be my suggestion. Though before you commit make sure it will be at the 2016 Olympics, you wouldn’t want to do all the training and not be able to go as they don’t class it an Olympic sport anymore. 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Spanish basketball team for a certain specified level of mental disability…. which they faked…. and got found out!

Doh! So they were not mentally disabled…. just stupid!
    Not classy. 🙁

Edric64
    Free Member

Thanks Badger I thought I hadnt dreamt it

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Darts. Well if golf can be in it, surely darts and dominoes must have a chance?!.

Edric64
    Free Member

Sofa rugby as played by Mendip caving clubs

Rules ,there are no rules but the object of the game is to get the sofa against the wall behind your opponent any number can play teams dont need to be even being totally pi**ed as compulsory

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Was thinking this earlier today, i`m 45 and the only thing that I could think of that I have never ever even heard of anyone try is fencing, must be 0.1% or less of the world competing so its got to be worth a shot!!

Badger
    Free Member

nobeerinthefridge…. Golf was in the 1900 (and 1904) games, along with croquet, ballooning, boule and lifesaving!

Hmm maybe we should have a campaign to get croquet back… would be very amusing in Rio!

Personally I think Kabaddi should be in before golf. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Bring back the Equestrian Long Jump!!!

ell_tell
    Free Member

I was born in Sharjah – do the UAE need any mountain bikers I wonder? 🙂

rs
    Free Member

Ski jumping, the next eddie the eagle!

bruk

Mmm hard choice, 3 day eventing might seem ok but given that 1 of the riders is in hospital with a broken sacrum and a few years ago lots of eventers died after the horse fell on them, I may give that a miss. Besides have you actually seen the size of the cross country jumps, they re mahoosive.

Weightlifting could be a possibility, spend a while on steroids to bulk up and then start competing. Run risk of testicles shrivelling and massive mood swings.. Most others r too technical to progress quickl

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Least contested olympic sport, best chance to represent GB in 2016?’ is closed to new replies.