Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Least chain sucky drivetrain
  • mcinnes
    Free Member

Hello,

After a particularly frustrating chainsuck problem with a Saint drivetrain across two very different frames, I have the opportunity to build up my Bfe with whatever set up I want: 1×9, 1×10, 2×10 or 3x or even Rohloff!

Apart from the Alfine/Rohloff which obviously comes with its own compromises, and singlespeed, which I can’t handle, which would be the set up least likely to encourage chainsuck?

Was thinking 1×10 …?

Bomus points for any kit which the STW has found to be reliably reliable with evil ‘suck too (or the inverse!)?

Ta.

cynic-al
    Free Member

1 x anything I’d have thought.

Garry_Lager

I’ve only ever had chainsuck when a drive component is knackered tbh, not experienced it with one in good nick.
    1×10 has simplicity in its favour – depends what you’ve got in mind for the BFe really. Great for messing about on, and even with a heavily-built one 1×10 would be ok for most xc riding for a few hours – it would only be the harder and /or longer rides where it would start to get on top of you.

I have a triple slx on mine – just something I slapped on it though, not given it real consideration.

mcinnes
    Free Member

Thanks both.

So if I go for 1 x 10, I’d be interested in recommendations on reliable low-fuss kit – what do I need to buy? 🙂

spooky_b329

What (real) disadvantages does an Alfine have over 1xanything? (except possibly cost)

avdave2

The only downside I’ve found in 6 years of riding with hub gears is weight.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Anything not worn and adjusted well

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Least chain sucky drivetrain = Single Speed

mcinnes
    Free Member

Still open to helpful responses.

Janesy
    Free Member

After a particularly frustrating chainsuck problem with a Saint drivetrain across two very different frames

It’s a worn drivetrain not the frame FFS

andyl
    Free Member

for 1×10 get a nice single speed chainring – eg Renthal (aluminium) or Surly (Stainless) etc etc.

Get a chain device – I am guessing ISCG05 for the BFe.

And then all the normal 10 speed rear gubbins. Probably go for an SLX cassette, mech and shifters unless you can afford Saint.

PS and yes chainsuck is either worn or damages component(s)or bad/poorly maintained set up.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Steel middle rings often help. Shorter tighter chain might help?

mcinnes
    Free Member

Thank you – very helpful.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Still open to helpful responses.

*but sticking my fingers in my ears and head in the sand to all the correct ones*

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Least chain sucky drivetrain’ is closed to new replies.