Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Learning to play chess.
  • lotto
    Free Member

As per title I’d like to learn so I can teach my son. I’ve looked for a local chess club locally but nothing exists. I’ve sourced a book at the library on how to get started. Could anybody recommend an app for an ipad that would be good for a complete beginner to learn or any other method which may be good to learn with.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

a great app exists , the app is called chess. It’s brilliant for chess.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Horsie to King Bish Three

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

as an aside, when I learnt chess I found it fascinating that so many phrases and words we use come from it. Endgame, rank and file, flank , opening gambit etc. That and horsie takes the prawn

Jakester
    Free Member

My son’s primary school has a chess club.

It’s so successful he’s actually taught me how to play chess, a skill which until now had eluded me.

Might be worth checking?

jekkyl

don’t forget the traditional ending from when you played with a sibling as a child. It’s important to maintain tradtions.

funkmasterp

Chess, the poor man’s drafts.

King me! 😉

In all seriousness something like this should be good. I learned from a book when I first played. I’m still crap at it.

Chess book

martinhutch

don’t forget the traditional ending from when you played with a sibling as a child.

Chucking the board and a big fight?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

As with most things…. if you want to learn how to do something …… watch Youtube.

Much like yourself I’ve taught myself the basics so I can play/beat/cheat the kids.

And I’ve whiled away many a boring hour in work on here … http://chessok.com/?page_id=359 …. good beginners chess problems

Good Luck

Cougar

Horsie to King Bish Three

Ee’s a sly one.

Cougar

Draughts, the poor man’s Backgammon.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Chessmaster if you want to run it on a PC. Basic rules, how to use pieces and a decent game of Chess as well.

funkmasterp

Which, in turn, is the poor man’s Othello 😆

Cougar

Which, in turn, is the poor man’s Othello

(-:

johndoh
    Free Member

when I learnt chess I found it fascinating that so many phrases and words we use come from it. Endgame, rank and file, flank , opening gambit etc.

Aren’t they all originally military terms?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Which, in turn, is the poor man’s Othello

which is the poor man’s Hamlet

bencooper
    Free Member

I got this for the Mini Cooper, it’s very good. I could play already, but it’d be good for working through together.

The basic rules can be learned in 15 minutes, but it’s the tactics and strategies that take longer. Playing a kid is great practice, though – much harder to win only 50% of the time than to win every time!

Klunk
    Free Member

Not a big fan of computer opponents they will give you a tough game for sure theres a lack unpredictability about them, they don’t make “silly” moves, you have to play them differently than you would a human opponent. I worked myself upto level 9 on windows chess (10 is too slow) I and generally don’t lose to it playing black but they are dull games…. get a pawn or 2 or a knight up and exchange all the big pieces off and beat him in the end game. Also they don’t resign when “beat” so you have to play to mate.

crazy-legs

Also they don’t resign when “beat” so you have to play to mate.

My chess app will ask to resign!
    Playing a computer is variable, there are thousands of apps and versions out there some of which are truly awful but the computer plays in a more predictable way.

Playing kids is actually quite difficult since they don’t follow any of the “standard” options. I came worryingly close to being checkmated by 2 9-yr olds playing together against me because, although they understood the rules and the basic tactics, they were still playing more or less random moves, some of which were actually genius (more by luck than judgement but still…)

Computers tend not to do that so they’re less of a yardstick on which to judge yourself.

Stoner
    Free Member

I subscribe to chess.com

Great app nd online platform. Free lessons and tactics trainer.

Anyone fancying a game search for stonerov

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Learning to play chess.’ is closed to new replies.