• This topic has 54 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Learning to jump
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On the suspension note,

I found a full susser really easy to jump badly

Try a fully rigid for learning the technique, I learn’t on a trailstar with Z1 with the lockdown to about 25mm of very stiff travel.

Then go back to suspension which in some ways is now harder work, as it feels energy sapping, but equaly seems more rewarding when you get it right as you go for miles!

Practice Practice Practice though, its definately a summer technique as turning up at the dirtjumps to ride in this weather is a sure fire way to not be welcome back in the summer. Take a spade and make some friends.

wwaswas

I broke my hip ‘learning to jump’.

My advice is;

a) take someone with you

and/or

b) ensure your mobile phone is charged.

In the absence of both of the above it feels like a long wait until someone comes along and wonders why there’s some bloke lying on the ground with their leg at a funny angle.

_tom_
    Free Member

Fully rigid is easiest to jump yeah, when I tried out bmx again I was amazed at how much momentum the suspension sucks out. It feels scarier though as if you **** up it’s a bit harder to recover and roll away from.

Euro
    Free Member

Is the heels down thing really needed for jumping or is it a ploy to try to get the correct body position? I’ve never noticed myself doing it and, after doing a simulated jump or two in work just now, I honestly don’t think I do do it.

chiefgrooveguru

Wwaswas, did you learn to jump in the Brighton vicinity? I’d like to get better at air (indeed a Jedi skillz course is planned for 2011) but half the challenge is finding beginner safe jumps.

jedi

🙂

wwaswas

did you learn to jump in the Brighton vicinity?

I was at Shoreham bmx track (just under the railway bridge) – not been back since really so not sure what state it’s currently in. Some very nice st johns ambulance people with a 4x4r came and rescued me.

tbh, since then I’ve only got both wheels off the ground at the same time by accident…

jedi

Euro
    Free Member

Nice Tony.

Different rider, different location, same old skool style 8)

jedi

old skool is the best school.

like the eddie fiola tag line

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve never managed to “get” jumping a MTB feels weird. Rode BMX a lot when younger and still ride a little, I can still 360, x ups and few other simple jumps but MTBs feel awful in the air in comparison. A jump MTB I’m sure is fine but anything even slightly cross country bikes like most people ride are eughhhhh! in the air.

Euro
    Free Member

Coming from a bmx backgrouud, I know what you mean, but the bike in the above pic is this…

Cheap and cheerful xc bike with the seat down = jump bike.

jedi

I jump ride herts on a hummer sometimes too.my mate atkins (bmx legend) jumps gaps on a scott scale. 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

Name rings a bell but can’t place it. I’m sure some people can jump xc bikes well, but it’s much more awkward.

jedi

bikes are bikes 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Learning to jump’ is closed to new replies.