• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Learning a language – one on one home tutoring?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of this?

Any places I should be looking for approved tutors etc.

Midlands based . . .

IvanDobski
    Free Member

What language?

jota180
    Free Member

Midlands based . . .

I work with a fella from Shirley that’s fluent in Klingon if that suits?
    as you’d expect, his day job is in IT

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Italian

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother for now then, there’s plenty of resources available to be getting on with – save your money for when you want to take it up a level IMO.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Try busuu.com for starters, it’s a bit like Rosetta Stone but more interactive with writing exercises which get marked by the community of native speakers of the language you’re learning.

I’ve been using it to learn German and while clearly it’s not as good as a tutor, it’s a good start and it’s largely free.

donsimon
    Free Member

What level do you currently have?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

none…

I can say ciao

donsimon
    Free Member

I was going to suggest some kind of langauge exchange, a couple hours of English chit chat in exchange for Italian.
    I guess you can scrub that.
    For a complete beginner I’d suggest a group class, not 1-2-1.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

thanks all

DrJ

For a beginner, definitely a class will be more cost effective. Plus it can be an enjoyable social experience 🙂

Beyond a certain point it gets boring sitting listening to everyone else’s mistakes, rotten accent, etc., and a 1-2-1 tutor makes a big difference. My missus has taken language lessons by Skype and it is a lot cheaper than a face-to-face tutor.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Learning a language – one on one home tutoring?’ is closed to new replies.