• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by poly.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Learner driver , can I put bikes on the tow hitch rack ??
  • blastit
    Free Member

Would be very useful if we could travel to the hills and learn at the same time , had a google but not found anything .
    Cheers Si

poly
    Free Member

Legally, I don’t think there is a problem, you are not towing with bikes on a rack it is simply a load on the car. Provided of course you are not on a motorway, supervised by an appropriate person and have L plates showing.

That said I would add that bikes on the rack restrict view to rear, make vehicle longer and possibly wider and so are probably not what the typical learner needs to make their experience easier (especially for parking/reversing). Also bear in mind that driving is tiring for even an experienced driver and after a big day in the hills might be more exhausting for a beginner than you think.

martymac

Learners can drive on a motorway.
    The only potential problem I can foresee is being able to clearly display L plates at the rear.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Learners on the motorway only with an approved instructor and in a car fitted with dual controls.

martymac

I stand corrected.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Said the man in the orthopaedic shoes.

blastit
    Free Member

Not intending on any motorway action , just driving to the local ish trails and getting a bit of time behind the wheel.
    Thanks so far , any more comments ?

martymac

Have a think about how much a minor reversing incident is likely to cost you, I don’t know what bikes you have, but could easily be £4k hanging off the back there.
    Get your codriver to guide you back if you need to reverse.
    I’m not calling your driving into question at all btw, just being practical.

antigee

Have a think about how much a minor reversing incident is likely to cost you

opposite experience bikes on towbar rack parked in a pretty reasonable place more than plenty of space for vehicle to pass and or reverse park and a guy just drove straight into the bikes but only at walking pace…when I jumped out all I got was “look at the damage to my car”…he shut up when I asked if he’d been drinking…not in UK but regularly go to dirt jumps / localish trailcentre with junior L plated younger teen antigee driving and tow bar rack with fully functioning light board…no problem good way to get supervised hours up..tonight will be driving back from (ice) hockey around midnight…watching out for red light runners and street racers – same conditions will be driving in unsupervised next year

poly
    Free Member

Get your codriver to guide you back if you need to reverse.

Probably not your best advice. The supervising driver is expected to be sitting in the front passenger seat (I’ve never been clear on what they were expected to do without dual controls). If you managed to prang someones car with L-plates on and no qualified driver in the passenger seat, don’t be surprised if you find yourself reported for driving otherwise in accordance with a license, your insurer being difficult etc.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Or just get the other person to do it. Like with our daughter, we reverse off the drive she then drives.

cookeaa

The supervising driver is expected to be sitting in the front passenger seat (I’ve never been clear on what they were expected to do without dual controls)

Lean over and yank the steering wheel?

blastit
    Free Member

I will put his bike on outside rack to give him some focus

poly
    Free Member

Lean over and yank the steering wheel?

Aye, possibly, but thats potentially high risk, the supervisor doesn’t need explicitly insured etc…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Learner driver , can I put bikes on the tow hitch rack ??’ is closed to new replies.