Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Learn how to NOT spoil the TdF …….
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Can people please just put "TDF – Spoiler" as a title to stop all these plums ruining it for people! If we are all watching Le tour we will still go and have a look at the threads.

Rather than "Has Lance lost it … SPOILER?" how thick is that!!

Smee
    Free Member

Has Lance lost it could be interpreted in many ways though.

AndyP
    Free Member

Indeed. Ability to compete- around 3 years ago. Mentally- when he decided to make a comeback.

emac65
    Free Member

I thought they meant his mobile phone…..

RichPenny
    Free Member

To be honest, I think you are ruining it for yourself just as much. Agreed, it doesn't take much thought to put spoiler in the title. Equally, this is a cycling website, and you have to expect that people get overexcited about the result. Have you ever thought about avoiding STW in the few hours before you watch the stage? Nope, thought not.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh thought someone would be quick to criticize but people are looking at the forum for different reasons and at different times, just thought it would be nice then people can choose whether to find out by clicking on the TDF link!

theboatman
    Free Member

I think the mods have already dealt with this, so stand back

scaredypants

Rather than "Has Lance lost it … SPOILER?" how thick is that!!

Let's imagine I was trying to avoid the result of today's race – aren't you nearly as bad as the others ?? 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

Hey, I agree with you that it's inconsiderate. That's people for you! It's just that this is a cycling forum, where amongst the fluff most people still talk about cycling. From what I can remember there have been quite a few spoilers. It just seems simpler to avoid the forum for a few hours, IMO.

For example, I enjoy the football (shooting offence, I know) but like to watch match of the day. It's better not to know the result, so for the day I'll avoid R5L, the BBC website and footie forums, because those places will obviously be giving away the results.

aracer
    Free Member

For example, I enjoy the football (shooting offence, I know) but like to watch match of the day. It's better not to know the result, so for the day I'll avoid R5L, the BBC website and footie forums, because those places will obviously be giving away the results.

The difference being that those places give the footie results because people go there wanting to know the footie results. I can't believe anybody comes on the forum wanting to know the cycling results. It's really not that hard to avoid giving things away in the title, which would allow people who are watching the highlights (or even record the highlights for later as I do) to still use the forum in the meantime. Inconsiderate and unnecessary, and quite reasonable to complain about it – if the point is made often enough people might eventually get it.

Dougal
    Free Member

Avoid internets. I managed to do it before ITV highlights, was easy.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Inconsiderate and unnecessary

Agreed, as I stated.

if the point is made often enough people might eventually get it.

Well, people have complained after every spoiler, and still it happens. I think it'll keep happining. What I'm saying is that you have the choice not to read a cycling forum where spoilers WILL be posted. It's not a perfect world.

The difference being that those places give the footie results because people go there wanting to know the footie results. I can't believe anybody comes on the forum wanting to know the cycling results.

Fair point about the BBC stuff, but aren't footie forums the same as cycling forums i.e a place to talk about it. I can imagine the response I'd get if I asked for no-one to mention the scores…. The TdF is the most famous bike race, this is a bike forum, do you really expect people not to talk about it? And for none of those people to be inconsiderate?

DrDolittle
    Free Member

So, the highlights of today's stage are broadcasted on CH4 at 7pm, and you start a whinge thread two hours after that complaining that someone has "spoiled" the suspense for you…what do you suggest, a 24hour news blackout?

cynic-al
    Free Member

DrD she can complain about something in the past, which the thread presumably is.

Seems obvious to me that thread titles shouldn't reveal what's happening/happened so I am with MC on this, though it can sometimes be good to step away from this place, it's just nice to do so through choice rather than because there are numpties about (Although that's life really, especially on here)

aracer
    Free Member

The question being, should people not complain about numpties for being numpties? Should we just all shrug our shoulders? Personally I do try to avoid here for a few hours (or at least only revisit threads I've already posted in), but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Ok, the title of my next swine flu update will be "is he/isn't he", and Drac's not allowed to diagnose online and spoil it. And channel 4 will not be informed, and the whole world wide interweb and radio and television and gossip vine will acquiesce.

I think some people should get a grip really, and quit the whinging.It's a cycling forum for god's sake. Anyway, what did the original thread title in question give away?

Anyway, all the above is even more irrelevant than you may think, as this has a timeless quality to it.

she can complain about something in the past

I'm a Misogynist, and I do think that's part and parcel of being a woman.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Complain all you want, but it isn't going to stop happening. Agreed it would be nice for you if it didn't happen. Then again maybe it would be nice for all the people who have seen the stage to be able to talk about it openly. Where best could they do that, if not on a cycling forum?

scaredypants

I'm a Mysogynist, and I do think that's part and parcel of being a woman.

It's a quality quote, though Mysspelt ( 😉 me? equal opportunities misanthropist )

DrDolittle
    Free Member

It's a quality quote, though Mysspelt

No it's not… 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

DrD I'm not sure what your point is – if you have one.

Mysspelt

LOL

aracer
    Free Member

Then again maybe it would be nice for all the people who have seen the stage to be able to talk about it openly. Where best could they do that, if not on a cycling forum?

How does not putting results in thread titles prevent that?

scaredypants

No it's not…

Ies, it is

DrDolittle
    Free Member

DrD I'm not sure what your point is – if you have one.

Something about complaining about sports results hours after a public broadcaster has let the cat out of the bag during tea time coverage I think. 24 hour news blackouts were in there too. And Woman's tendency to complain about minor indescretions the fairer sex have long forgotten. Life in a nutshell.

RichPenny
    Free Member

The last word in that sentence is openly, aracer. Look at it this way: people are watching the stage excitedly, it's a fascinating finish. They go on a cycling forum to start a thread about what they've seen. Typing quickly, they are likely to write Lance a loser? or Contador in Yellow!.

I don't think this really makes them a numpty. Maybe a bit inconsiderate, but then I think it's also a bit inconsiderate to expect a load of cycling fans to curb their enthusiasm just so a few can read about cycling whilst avoiding the biggest cycling story of the day!

aracer
    Free Member

Still don't see how titling your thread "Tour, spoiler", or just "TdF" is that difficult in the excited heat of the moment. Would even allow you to post that bit quicker. Nor does it prevent any openness of the discussion. It's not like we're asking you to curb your enthusiasm at all – however it seems you do expect us who curb our enthusiasm for the STW forum until the highlights are on, or even beyond that for those of us who can't watch them immediately. Not having any consideration for others does make you a numpty by definition.

It would also seem the mods agree.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

It would also seem the mods agree.

Oooohhhh! 🙄

shoefiti
    Free Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap!!

Job done.

RichPenny
    Free Member

OK, you don't see it as dificult, maybe because you're not having to do it. Other people clearly do because that's what they want to post and self censorship isn't so easy for them.

Not having any consideration for others does make you a numpty by definition. I quite agree…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Oh, and I believe the mods are just trying to keep the peace. Nothing wrong with that, I just think it's a bit odd that you can't openly post about cycling on a cycling forum.

I mean, what if you wanted to specifically talk about the Cav points deduction? TdF spoiler does not specifically attract people to that incident.

aracer
    Free Member

OK, you don't see it as dificult, maybe because you're not having to do it.

I think I might just about be able to manage to engage enough brain cells if I was in that position. As I said, it actually takes more effort to put the result in the thread title.

I mean, what if you wanted to specifically talk about the Cav points deduction?

Anybody interested is pretty likely to look at any TdF thread on here – it's not like the forum's exactly flooded with them – so I can't see why you need to say anything at all in the title.

Though given this appears to be the first TdF related thread you've posted on, I have to wonder why you suddenly care so much 🙄

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I have to wonder why you suddenly care so much

Why? I'm wondering why you are wondering why he appears to care so much? Is it a roadie thing? can I post on a TDF thread too? It's the first time I've posted on a TDF thread, and I posted because I disagreed with the OP. I don't really care who wins the TDF by the way, it's just a sporting event. I doooooon't care. Why do you care?

RichPenny
    Free Member

I don't agree that it takes more effort to put the result. Mainly because you aren't having to self censor. I see that you haven't answered my point about the specific thread titles. I'll assume that you agree with me then.

I'm following the TdF, but not especially closely. I have seen a few people get upset about reading spoilers, and it struck me as illogical that you would not expect to see spoilers on a cycling forum.

Smee
    Free Member

This thread and the whole spoiler thing is ridiculous. Its a cycling forum, the TdF is a cycle race – seems like the perfect place to discuss the race to me.

If you dont want to know the result stay away from cycling forums.

hora
    Free Member

I honestly dont get the 'wait until you get home to watch the repeat' mentality. Its not realtime, its gone/happened. If you are watching a race in full- then fine but highlights etc?! Plus, dont you think visiting THAT sports forum may be a tad-risky? Imagine wanting to watch a Cup final game later on in the day but visiting a footballing forum that afternoon. MADNESS. Lets not be anal. Please.

crazy-legs

Complain all you want, but it isn't going to stop happening. Agreed it would be nice for you if it didn't happen. Then again maybe it would be nice for all the people who have seen the stage to be able to talk about it openly. Where best could they do that, if not on a cycling forum?

People CAN talk about the stage though. You look for the thread titled TdF – Stage xx SPOILER and go and talk about Cav's points deduction, Armstrong being unable to match Contador in the mountains, Hushovd whining about being blocked, Wiggins putting in the best performance of his career etc etc. The people that for whatever reason haven't yet watched it can browse the rest of the forum safe in the knowledge that any TdF info is tucked away in that thread. Once they've seen the stage then they can wander over to the spolier thread and contribute their own views.

Not difficult really is it?

aracer
    Free Member

I see that you haven't answered my point about the specific thread titles.

Can't read either then?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Or you could simply not open any threads marked Tour, Lance or anything remotely tour like until after next Sunday.

I know – me bad!

I got it wrong yesterday and apologies all round – had thought everyone would have known the result by then. But anyhoo there you go. The mods were right to moderate the title but to put Lance? Really didnt help much.

Lesson learned

uplink
    Free Member

I don't think anyone should talk about the results until I've bee able to read them at my leisure in Cycling Weekly
    So please refrain from posting any clues to anything relating to the tour until – say – 9pm each Thursday by which time I should of read all about it

Thank you for your co-operation

😉

aracer
    Free Member

Why? I'm wondering why you are wondering why he appears to care so much?

Because he's obviously managed not only to avoid posting a Tour thread with a spoiler in the title, but to avoid posting on one at all, therefore I'm wondering how come he thinks he has more empathy with those people posting such things than those people who are actually following the Tour more avidly? I mean the person who posted the offending thread has even been on now and apologised, so he obviously gets it unlike the sanctimonious on here who seem to be just out for an argument.

Though thanks for your contribution – the longer we keep this alive, the more people will see it, and the less likely we are to get another spoiler title. You see once people know they shouldn't do it, hopefully they won't. Unless of course it's one of the sanctimonious doing it deliberately (which IMHO would deserve a ban).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or you could simply not open any threads marked Tour, Lance or anything remotely tour like until after next Sunday.

But the point is that the title of the thread does quite a lot to suggest that Lance Armstrong didn't have a good day. And the OP does ask that people don't put things that potentially spoil in THE TITLE.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Learn how to NOT spoil the TdF …….’ is closed to new replies.