Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Leaky Revelations – normal?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have a new pair of Revelation U-Turn forks. I’ve not fitted them yet ‘cos I have this niggling doubt about the amount of oil that gets left on the stanchions when I cycle the fork up and down. Someone on here said that was normal but really? Is it really that hard to make a fork that doesn’t piddle oil?

spock
    Free Member

my 2009 dual airs dont even when i’ve serviced them and put twice the reccomended oil in .

I reckon you have a problem

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I have dual air u-turn 150mm revs and mine left oil marks on the stanchions for about 5 rides.Is the oil running down them?
    They put oil and grease on the seals when they assemble them,its probably this.Its better to have some oil there it reduces the stiction.
    Post a picture of the oil marks.

nuke

So you didn’t stop worrying then 😉

Spock you’re talking about used forks…I’d agree if they were being used but ST hasn’t even fitted and used them yet.

From experience with RS forks, give it a few rides and this should stop occurring: if it doesn’t then come back and query it.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

OK will post a piccie up in a few minutes…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

nuke….lol, no I didn’t 😆

In want to be sure before I chop the steerer down. I got them mail order from someone advertising just the the right of this post. I could pop them into the shop but it is a 3 hour round trip that I want to avoid if possible.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

et voila

nicolaisam
    Free Member

There fine,Fit them and ride

ampthill

I got them mail order from someone advertising just the the right of this post

pokertars.com do forks WOW.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

pokertars.com do forks WOW.

😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

anyone else got an opinion on if this is OK (pic above)?

seanodav
    Free Member

As said above, just the oil from the sponge and wiper seal with them being new, they do this when you do a wiper seal service if you put plenty on.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

yes its okay, as other have said its lube from the top wiper seals.
    I would however recommend doing a lowers oil bath “change”, as both my recently mail-order bought 2010 Revelations and some OE 2009 Rebas had no where near the recommended 15cc’s of oil in the lowers (despite leaving oil/grease marks like yours from the upper wipers), the left (air spring) leg was almost dry on the new Revs 😯 I only bothered to check after similar comments of “dry” forks on here, and putting oil in is only a 2 minute job if you have a syringe or similar. Looks like someone in SRAM QC took the year off 🙄

stilltortoise
    Free Member

thanks for the tip

devon_roadie
    Free Member

I let the air out of the -ve valve and a load of oil came out over my rotor! This can’t be normal?

seanodav
    Free Member

Its normal for a little oil to come out of valves, well it does from my fox rp2 and zocchis

BadlyWiredDog

I let the air out of the -ve valve and a load of oil came out over my rotor! This can’t be normal?

Yeah it is, there’s a small amount of oil in both negative and positive chambers to keep the o-rings lubed and improve sealing. Best to invert the bike and hold a tissue or rag over the valve as you let the air out.

bigjim

Oil comes out pretty much everywhere on my Revs, -ve air, top of the motion control, seals…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Leaky Revelations – normal?’ is closed to new replies.