Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Leaking windscreen seal – course of action?
  • tthew

For about 18 months I’ve had the odd little drip running down the inside of my van windscreen after it’s been parked in heavy rain. A bit annoying, but not too troubling. These recent rain storms have escalated the problem to a damp headlining and little puddle of water dropping onto the stereo when I start off, so that means it needs sorting.

Whats the best remedy? It’s a bonded windscreen with the typical little movement/expansion gap between the glass and the body. I’m reluctant to DIY anything involving liquid sealants in the gap, if I **** it up that just means more problems for anyone professional who sorts it after me!

SirHC

If the bond has failed, the screen will need to come out and go back in again, potentially there may well be corrosion in there as well which will need to be fixed or it will just get worse.

bear-uk
    Free Member

A tube of stixall or screen out as said.

tthew

Thanks Gents. I’ll get on to a windscreen place. I really hope there’s no corrosion, it’s only 4 years old! (but it is a Ford. 😁) Wonder if my insurance will cover this? Hmm, I’ll get onto them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Drive down a recently chipsealed road behind a big 4×4, check screen for cracks, repeat as nesecary then phone insurance company.

dc1988

If it’s only four years old then Ford should probably fix it as goodwill, it’s not a wear and tear item and shouldn’t ever leak. Suggests it was installed without enough sealant to begin with.

tthew

If it’s only four years old then Ford should probably fix it as goodwill, it’s not a wear and tear item and shouldn’t ever leak. Suggests it was installed without enough sealant to begin with.

A call to them couldn’t hurt but it’s been out of warranty for a year, (ran out just before I first noticed it of course!)

TINAS, tempting, but that’d do as much damage to the paintwork on the bonnet! I could always go the automatic centre-punch route I suppose!*

(*insurance fraud not cool kids)

danmac
    Free Member

I recently had this issue with my XC90, turns out it had the screen replaced and not enough sealant was used. A local company charged £40 to remove, clean and reseal the screen and has been leak free since. Auto glass were insistent that a new screen was needed…

duncancallum

Rebond it or try your glass cover on your insurance

tthew

Insurance wouldn’t cover it, chips or crack type damage only. No way I’m trying that job myself.

A local company charged £40 to remove, clean and reseal the screen

That’s the kind of price I’d like! I’m waiting a call back from the local Autoglass place, their telephone operator seemed confident removal and re-bonding was a service they provide, maybe your local franchise were a bit picky?

Cougar

it’s been out of warranty for a year

Four year old car, I’d argue that you’re potentially into the realms of the Consumer Rights Act here. I don’t think it’s reasonable to spend tens of thousands on something and for it to spring a leak in that timeframe.

tthew

Local place charges 80 quid for the screen out and re-seal. But he did make the, (sensible) suggestion that I should check it’s not the aerial seal before doing the screen. So I’ll have to drop the headlining. 😩

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My Volvo XC60 had issues with screens not being bonded in properly from being built ( YOM 2010). Volvo were willing to reseal by removing the windscreen FOC , but if the windscreen broke , then its was my problem. So, in one way , they admit liability to being done wrong from manufacture but then I could have a potential bill for hundreds , if it cracks on removal. I guess it was the time they were also run by Ford bean counters, which might not of helped.
    Luckily we had a chip that happened soon after and the screen came out.It showed , according to the windscreen man, that they didnt prime the screen for the adhesive to bond it in as the problem. It was nice to then go round corners without getting a wet lap and dashboard after the repairs.

tthew

Shelf in the roof off last night, which exposed the base of the aerial which was dry and meant I could tease back the headlining to see the windscreen seal. Sure enough damp right across. I’m going to whang an e-mail off to Ford customer service and see what they say.

patagonian
    Free Member

I had a weld break on the seat of my VW after the warranty ran out, took it to the dealer more in hope than anything else and the service manager said “a weld shouldn’t break on a VW” and they fitted a new seat base.
    You might just get lucky – certainly worth a try.

trail_rat
    Free Member

id certainly have it fixed proper as you do not want moisture trapped in there , Screen reveals from poorly fitted screens rotting out can make screen replacement impossible without reconstruction in short order.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Leaking windscreen seal – course of action?’ is closed to new replies.