• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Leaking washing machine: get the back off, or get a man in?
  • jkomo

Our Meile washing machine is leaking, cleaned out pump, but still no good.
    Anyone had a go at this or is it engineer only.
    Our dishwasher died a few months ago, and the tumble dryer is playing up so not happy.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Check the drum seal they are the usual culprit to leak.

hooli

I’d have a look, should be reasonably obvious where the water is coming from and you can decide if it is something you can fix or if you need to call somebody.

Could be something simple like a split hose or loose hose clip.

allthegear
    Free Member

He’d have to be a quite small man, surely?

GrahamS

I always have a go myself first as sometimes it can be a pretty simple fix.

And if I can’t manage it then at least I’ve saved the bloke the bother of hauling it out and disconnecting it. 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

While you’ve got the back off, look for a small plastic chamber with a wire attached, which is stuck on a tube protruding from the back of the drum. Pull it off and clean out the accumulated gunk in the tube. Suck on the cleared tube and listen for the little click as the relay opens and closes; this is the water level sensor and when it gets clogged all kinds of things can go wrong.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

While you’ve got the back off, look for a small plastic chamber with a wire attached, which is stuck on a tube protruding from the back of the drum. Pull it off and clean out the accumulated gunk in the tube. Suck on the cleared tube and listen for the little click as the relay opens and closes; this is the water level sensor and when it gets clogged all kinds of things can go wrong.

Please ensure that the appliance has been disconnected from the mains supply

GrahamS

Suck on the cleared tube

But try not to swallow.

jkomo

Thanks all.
    I’m going in tonight.
    I have a history of mains electrocution, so I will make sure I unplug the appliance I’ve got my wet hands inside, as opposed to the one next to it.
    Didn’t do me any harm.
    Did it again straight after.
    I’ll unplug everything this time.

GrahamS

Hmmm… given your history there, please also avoid touching anything that looks something like this:

Because it may still be live even though you have unplugged it.

(Most of the electrics on washing machines are up at the top to avoid them getting damp from leaks, so you should be fine)

uwe-r
    Free Member

I replaced the door seal on the washing machine recently – awful fiddly job. I had the advantage of knowning that was where the leak was from, the telling clue was the dog had eaten a big chunk of it!!!

franksinatra

if you are trying to work under it, don’t prop it up at a jaunty angle on blocks of wood then lay underneath it. If you do and it falls down, it will hurt a lot. And if there is no-one in the house you will get vey scared that you will never escape from it until your wife comes home 15 minutes later. Or so I am told….

peteimpreza

Please also turn off the water supply.

In your case at the main stopcock and at the supply to the machine.

jkomo

What could possibly go wrong?
    Will have a poke around this weekend.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Leaking washing machine: get the back off, or get a man in?’ is closed to new replies.