• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Leaking Nobbies
  • jonesie
    Free Member

Any one know why my Nobby Nic sidewalls keep leaking?
    Running it tubeless and it happens with both Stans and Caffe Latex.
    It literally weeps out of the sidewalls from the tread down…..
    Jonesie the leak

sweaman2
    Free Member

New or used? Sweamrs had this on the rear after some use (but not a huge amount) and I decided it was paper thin sidewalls. Replaced with a new one and seems fine…

khani
    Free Member

I had this with some tubeless ready Rons, more spaff and lying em flat and sloshing around the sidewalls sorted em eventually.

RustySpanner

What size?

Many 650b tyres cry because they are unhappy at the futility of their existence.

White, milky tears of pointless misery.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Managed to get a Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph Evo (non tlr) sealed up eventually using the lying wheel on side on a bucket method.
    Should seal . My mate a big puncture the other night on a rear Maxiis when a flint caused a slit across the tread. Much to our amazement Stans sealed it and we completed the ride.

khani
    Free Member

Mine were proper manly 29er tyres, gert big manly tyres for men with gert big thingys, the BMW of tyres! powerful!, thrusting! manly man tyres for men..

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Did you scrub the inside of the tyre?

SOme tyres have a release agent on them to help in process, scrubbing with hot soapy water first means the stans can actually stick, rather than beading up and running off.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Obvious question, but is it actually a Snakeskin version? If its a liteskin, or a cheaper performance line one Schwalbe dont guarantee they will hold air for any length of time.

jonesie
    Free Member

650b
    Sealed nicely on the rim but weeping out of the walls.
    Did not scrub them ( shouldn’t have to ?)
    Wiped out the stans (not big on the corrosive issues and experienced first hand a mates rim disintegrating going quite quickly down hill.) Replaced with supposedly more gentle Caffe Latex so got me thinking it’s the tyre rather than sealant.

mildbore

I’ve been running a Nobby Nick on the rear through the winter. For the last couple of months it’s had sealant seeping out between the nobs, which I assume is Schwalbe telling me I need a new tyre. Soon as trails dry a bit I’ll be putting a summer tyre on

jonesie
    Free Member

It’s a pacestar evo snake blah blah ( the expensive ones.)
    What is it with these tyres ?
    This is the third one I have had and the third one that has caused me problems of some kind.
    Only run them on the rear and run them year round but now considering something different but what?
    Front is a Minion DHR 2 but might be a bit to drag give on the back end……

jonesie
    Free Member

Sorry don’t you just love predictive text….
    Meant to say a bit to draggie on the back end..

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If you say so.

pnik

Is there an environmental factor, like heat or humidity, ive fpund my sidewall sweating profusely the last few weesks, on contis, 26 ust and 29 protection, never had it before it cant mean i need 4 new tyres surely? 3 of the 4 are holding air, just got this greasy sweatybusiness, may be its becuase they are sad, ive not been riding much so just standing in the garage

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Is there an environmental factor, like heat or humidity, ive fpund my sidewall sweating profusely the last few weesks

That’s a thought…
    Mine have all been sweating like a (insert analogy of your choice) for the last few weeks too. Supergravity HD & Mary, snakeskin Mary. All with fresh Stans in them. Tyres mostly about 6 months old and none having done this previously.

What’s this “scrub them” thing all about? I’ve not heard of needing to remove release agent before. Walls don’t appear to be repelling the Stans fluid.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

I’ve been running tubeless with Stans for many years and have never had this problem until recently. Usually my bikes are kept in the shed but as it started to leak through the winter I moved my them into my son’s bedroom (it’s a big bedroom and he doesn’t mind). Now I get this issue on front and back. The front is a Nobby Nik which is getting on for over a year or so old and the rear a Racing Ralph about 6 months old. Also never heard of scrubbing the inside and have never had to in the past.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Nobby Nics seems to be problem magnets. I think they are made with very thin sidewalls and carcasses.

I went tubeless and had the same weeping sidewalls and slow leaking for the first couple of weeks requiring a couple of top ups of Stans. I ended up with quite a bit sloshing in the back tyre in the hope that some of it would stop wherever the holes were. The slosh was a bit annoying but it didn’t bother me for long because just a couple of rides later…

… I braked for a corner and the rear locked over a wet root and then Poof! the tyre was flat. One of the tread blocks had tried to pull itself off the tyre and ripped the tyre along its front edge.

Yak

I think it’s warm humid conditions that does it too. It’s not noticeable if the bike is in regular use, but park it up for a week or so and the beads appear. Don’t worry about it – it’s not going to lose all the sealant that quickly.

Yeah – and they are sad too. 😥

vmgscot

It’s not just Nobbies – I get same issue on Maxxis original HR’s and Minions but put it down to not being TR.. but bikes are stored hanging up in centrally heated kitchen so perhaps environment is a factor?

Yak

Oh yeah – same for conti, spesh, other schwalbes. Just beads of sweat- no visible sealant.

But interestingly it doesn’t happen on geax/vittoria tyres.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Leaking Nobbies’ is closed to new replies.