Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Leaking Avid Brake Lever.
  • avdave2

Yesterday I had to cut my ride short when my rear Elixir R seized on and I had to remove the pads to get home. Anyway while trying to free up the pistons while back at home I had a brake fluid leak from the reach adjust dials. So I’ve ordered a bleed kit but are there other parts I’m going to need to replace. These are first hydraulic discs I’ve had, all my others are BB7’s, so I’ve no experience in dealing with them. And yes I’m expecting a lot of advice to bin them and buy Hope or Shimano.

Thanks

extremenik
    Free Member

It will be the lever piston seals, you haveto take the reach adjuster out, and the lever then with circlip pliers take out the piston/bladder.

Could try seals on the piston which i get from BIke goo, but it will probally need the bladder assembly which will cost you £20.

avdave2

Thanks extremenik I’ll have a look at taking it apart.

creedy
    Free Member

I had this on mine. Thought I’d have to buy new inner seals and such for lever. However after bleeding it a second time it stopped leaking. I wonder if it’s a design fault with the brake lever seal piston. Ps avids are a right pain in the bum to set and bleed. A 3 hand lob. Good vid on YouTube though

extremenik
    Free Member

As credy says when you pushed the pistons in you could have put enough pressure on, then it could have pushed fluid out at the lever, somtry bleeding first.

avdave2

Thanks guys, I have bleed kit on the way so I’ll try that first. There doesn’t seem to have been any further leaks so it may well be the pressure caused it to leak. At least it’s the rear brake so I’m not too nervous about riding it when it may be a bit dodgy!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Leaking Avid Brake Lever.’ is closed to new replies.