• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by a11y.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Leak from under front of Transit Custom
  • zilog6128

Dripping from this spot under the front. Not sure what it is but seems thin & doesn’t have a strong smell. What is it likely to be, and how big a problem is it? On holiday at the moment! 🤦‍♂️

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Is it definitely oil? You’ll see that classic rainbow sheen and ‘beading’ if you pour a bit of water on it.

zilog6128

No, neither of those 2 things. It’s a slow drip, not pissing out too! (Whatever it is)

airvent
    Free Member

Is it not just condensate from the air con

scotroutes

Condensation from the A/C?

(LOL – 30 seconds!)

zilog6128

I’ve no idea! Would be awesome if that is all it was 😃 not something I’ve ever noticed happening before, but where we’re parked the kitchen window looks out onto the vehicle on a very steep drive, so you can see right under it!
    Have had the AC on today!

duncancallum

If it’s gone in the morning Aircon.

It’s that time of year

benpinnick

Being a transit custom at some point it will start leaking it’s steering fluid. One to watch out for.

Tracey

Ben has just got in before me.
    Tourneo Custom slight leak on drive last year. Wasn’t oil and wasn’t water. Leak from the power steering.
    Transit camper went in for MOT and service last month. Hadn’t seen anything. Again another leak from the power steering.
    Two on different Transits in 6 months. I must have killed a robin

zilog6128

Tourneo Custom slight leak on drive last year. Wasn’t oil and wasn’t water. Leak from the power steering.

thanks, is a slight leak a major cause for concern I.e. straight to garage in morning if still happening? Or can we leave it till we get back (get some more and top up?)

Will check if it’s still leaking in the morning, fingers crossed it’s the AC! 🤞
    Ta all! 😀

RustyNissanPrairie

Whatever fluid it is would have been caused by something rusting. It’s the Transit way.

benpinnick

thanks, is a slight leak a major cause for concern I.e. straight to garage in morning if still happening? Or can we leave it till we get back (get some more and top up?)

Hard to say. Problem is that while it’s static it’s not under pressure, when you start driving it’s suddenly more likely to fail chatastrophocally. That said, mine dripped for a couple of weeks at least before it became an issue. Watch out for juddering steering and noisy pump. Keep an eye on the fluid level obvs.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Could be the aircon, if it’s the steering fluid leak it will be from where the pipe is clamped lower down, grit gets into the clamp and rubs a hole. Know fault. Keep an eye on the fluid level and top up if necessary until you can get it fixed

Tracey

The tourneo was leaking for 3 weeks before we could get it in. Once we knew what it was they sorted it next day.
    The camper we had no idea it was leaking and had been all over in it the last few months. Probably 2000 miles. Had it sorted day after ready for our Europe trip.
    Mechanic said it was a lot worse than the Custom. It was all over under the van

fossy

I’ve had a few folk comment on both our cars in warm weather when parked up, you’ve got a leak, nope it’s the AC condensate.

onehundredthidiot

I don’t recommend tasting a tiny drop but it put my mind at rest that it was ac condensate.

timba
    Free Member

Power steering fluid is in a big reservoir (IME 07 and 18-plates). Easy to monitor, easy to top up. It’s a closed system so levels shouldn’t vary
    Power steering failure will make the steering hard work and you could understeer/steer late as a consequence, which would increase the risk of a collision, but you can still steer. Get it checked if you’re unsure
    It could be as simple as AC condensate or even screen wash

zilog6128

Thanks all, no sign of leak this morning! Haven’t driven today but will keep an eye on it tomorrow.

a11y

Most likely a/c condensate like others saying. I had similar on my 67-plate Transit Custom two years ago after a long journey on a hot day and was amazed at the amount of dripping. I was convinced it was something more serious but it wasn’t. It’s since covered 8k or so miles, no fluid issues of any sort with the van, and a/c works perfectly, i.e. nothing’s gone horribly wrong.

Video of mine dripping: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1LBhU9a69aZ4n6767

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.