• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Houns.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Leaf clearing OCD
  • timbog160

So it’s that time of year again…

I have – a variety of brushes of differing widths and bristle stiffness, a leaf blower/ vac thing, various rakes, a pair of those big green hands things, and various wheelbarrows and bags for moving it all to the compost heap…

What seems to be the best approach is:
    A quick rake to loosen things up;
    Brush into piles;
    Use the green hands to pile into the wheelbarrow
    Finish with blower/ vac which is hopeless for the heavy lifting…

We did have 5 or 6 trees removed this summer due to disease and that has been a big help if in honest.

Is it just me or does anybody else go through this annual ritual?

zippykona

How severe is your ODC?

andylc
    Free Member

We live in the middle of woodland with massive beech trees, ash, sycamore and others in close proximity. If I’m not out there multiple times during Autumn the bottom half of the garden completely disappears….!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

To let the leaves mulch down and feed my old apple trees with vital nutrients.

Houns

Premier Icon
    Trailrider Jim

Subscriber

To let the leaves mulch down and feed my old apple trees with vital nutrients.

Which is what I usually do with my Nans Apple tree, but this year the tree has been in poor health, this is due to some fungal infection due to spores rising up off the rotting material.

I work on an 80 acre woodland estate, mostly deciduous, as mentioned on another thread, at the moment I’m getting through 40+ litres of two stroke a week leaf blowing. I’d be lost with out my Stihl BR600. Today I shifted 10 ATV loads from under a conker tree (3rd session on that tree so far and plenty more to come)…. And don’t mention the sweet chestnut trees

grizedaleforest

How severe is your ODC

Snigger.

I’m with the OP. Just spent the whole afternoon leaf clearing. This year made extra fun with a big drop of horse chestnuts.

136stu
    Free Member

Just blow it all into the middle of the road like my neighbour.

singletrackmind

The horn of retribution was used yesturday .
    A helpfull chap was using his leaf blower to clear his drive , ok so far . whats not ok is to blow them all over a bend in the road on the A272
    For those who live in the northern wastelands the A272 is a very popular road with the motorcylcing brigade . The bend in question is approx 1mile from a very popular motorcycling café
    Covering the road in wet leaf is dumb , doing it on a wet road frequented by bikes is plain nasty , not to mention the fact the leaves fill up the inadequate drains as well
    grumble grumble some people grumble
    and i dont even oen a motorbike

crikey
    Free Member

Given that this is STW, home of middle class angst, how does all this tomfoolery affect the planet?

40 litres of two stroke to move leaves around? Every Autumn?

…ave a word with yourselves.

Houns

That’s every week. It’s even more when mowing and strimming. I can’t wait for the machines to break and we can switch to battery powered kit. Sadly I don’t hold the purse strings otherwise I would’ve switched as soon as possible

crikey
    Free Member

Madness! and unsustainable madness too…

Are you still Oakley mad? I’ve got some Juliets that have gone all wobbly, you can have them if you want.

Alphabet

We have a large garden with lots of trees. I just leave the leaves until mowing season starts again next year.

Houns

Edit

I can rant. But I won’t, I agree with you crikey

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Leaf clearing OCD’ is closed to new replies.