Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Leadville 100
  • Mackem

I’m 50 in a couple of years and thought it would be good to do something special for it. So, I’m going to try the Leadville 100. Daft idea or not?

I’m aware I’ll probably have to do a qualifying event first.

mt
    Free Member

Go for it.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Hell yeah go for it, why not.

whitestone
    Free Member

Looks like you’ll almost certainly have to do a qualifying event unless you want to chance the lottery. Which means you’ll need a trip to the States to ride one of the QEs the year before you intend to ride the Leadville. Looks like the qualifying events are also run by the same company/organisation.

Could work out quite expensive: two trips to the States plus two registration fees + costs whilst you are in the USA.

Any reason for the Leadville or does it happen to be one you’ve heard of? Not trying to put you off, just interested, I do just as daft stuff and I’m somewhat older than you!

njee20
    Free Member

Two holidays over 2 years, to go and ride your bike? Sounds great!

Mackem

Why? The Leadville seems to have been around since I started riding mtb (1989ish). As a young lad poring over MBUK the race and place seemed so exotic and I guess that’s stayed with me. Nostalgia then, I suppose.
    Something difficult to aim for can only help with motivation and fitness.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Daft idea.

Go for it.

What an opportunity if you can, there’s all sorts of folks from Pro’s exPros and a few ex Dopers too.. utterly brilliant ride to do.
    Gotta say, I’m a bit jealous..

Buzzard
    Free Member

Email/Call them. The last time I looked into it they said they kept a few entries for international entrants who couldnt make the qualifying events. I believe the idea was to show equivalent events here and lay out your case for a entry (turning 50, once in a lifetime would qualify I would have thought)

NewRetroTom

Sounds awesome – do it!

Make sure you go to altitude before the event to acclimatise for as long as possible – ideally a week or more.
    Elevation of the town is 10,152 ft (3,094 m) and the high point on the course is at 12,600 ft (3,840 m).

whitestone
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, I’d go for it as well. There are plenty of guys out there doing similar crazy stuff who are well into their 60s so don’t think that age is a barrier.

If there is a side door as Buzzard mentions then see if the UK ITTs would count. They aren’t “official” in the sense that they are fully organised in the way that the Leadville is but equally they aren’t exactly easy if you race them.

I did the Rovaniemi 150 this year and used my winter climbing experience as “evidence” that I could handle cold. Do whatever you have to to blag your way in 😆

Mackem

Blagging is a very good idea. Time to start saving and riding (a lot of both)

shaggy

I’ve always fancied getting the belt buckle. I rode through Leadville during the Colorado Trail Race and really liked the area. The 100 sounds pretty non-technical, so unlikely I’d chose this 100 these days. The run on the other hand…

The other thing that would put me off is you never know how you are going to handle the altitude. Certainly something to read about and consider.

Mackem

I’m thinking of taking a month off. Train there for 3 weeks. Do the ride. Drink for a week.

choppersquad
    Free Member

This sounds exactly like our mate did for his 60th.
    He loved it…..go for it.

Wookster

I think this sounds brilliant!!! Go for it and let us know how it goes!!!!!!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mackem – Member
    I’m thinking of taking a month off. Train there for 3 weeks. Do the ride. Drink for a week.

Awesome.
    Post pics.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Leadville 100’ is closed to new replies.