Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • LBS
  • trevron73
    Free Member

i took the hardtail for a service today ,before my September of races ,and the LBS had a go ,what have you done to it ,ive ridden it i said ,ridden it a lot ? south downs , local trail center ,its a mountain bike it should take some abuse ,they told me my model should have light off road use ,its only a cheapie fellas but a £600 hardtail should be able to take 2 outings a week ? it not broken it just needs a service ?

Pook

I hop my bike over rocks all the time. It’s a Rockhopper. If it breaks it’s false advertising.

Likewise for a hardrock. It should be ok on hard rocks.

I dunno about cove bikes.

druidh
    Free Member

i have a fat bike coz i is.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

What bike is it?

mjsmke

Depends what you mean by ‘service’.

If its just a case of checking the bike over including wheel truing, hub clean/re-grease for cup and cone hubs, new cables etc. then thats ok.

But if it has a dry rusty chain, hubs so loose they rattle, cables dry and rusty, and if its never seen a spanner or oil in the last year they will moan at you.

When i worked in a bike shop it was frustrating when people ride their bike all year without doing any basic maintenance and then dropping it in for a service.

trevron73
    Free Member

Boiled brakes ,loose headset ,creaking on BB/pedals forks not plush ,ive ridden for 25 years and i ride hard ,i told the shop that when i bought ,go hard or go home ,if it rains i still ride hard ,the wife loves washkng the mud off my clothes ,normal wear and tear me thinks? any ways ,i wash and lube i check tyres and pressures but im a chef not a chuffin mechanic

taxi25
    Free Member

Hi Trev, If your not happy with your lbs find another, there’s going to be loads of places wanting to take your money wirhout giving you a load of b*%/ls*%@.
    You sound like a keen new rider with lots of questions about your new passion.
    Honestly stay away from this place, for the most part its not worth the effort.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

ive ridden for 25 years

You sound like a keen new rider with lots of questions about your new passion.

Yup…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lbs sound like dicks.

TooTall
    Free Member

So – given that we’ve not seen the bike, don’t know what model it is, how much the OP has ridden it, how little maintenance it has had and, finally, what else the LBS said (‘have a go’?) – we’re saying the LBS are crap?

Nice to see the pitchfork crew are still around.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    donsimon
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the question is. Is the op talking about a service and the lbs talking about damage? Or are we talking bout a safety issue due to the misuse of the word mountain on a leisure bike by those nasty marketing people?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

This doesn’t really sound like a case of wear and tear, more a lack of basic maintenance and a lot of use. Loose headset for example. How long had it been loose? Did you continue to ride it whilst loose? Same goes for the creaking from the BB.
    You’ve made no mention of what period of time all of this happened.

Also – and I’m sorry if this isn’t what you want to hear – a £600 hard tail probably isn’t the right tool for the job if you are someone who genuinely rides off road twice a week regardless of weather, goes racing and describes themselves as a hard rider who ‘goes hard or goes home’.

You could find a new LBS but perhaps you’d be better sticking with your current one as they sound like they know what theyre talking about to me.

Rorschach
    Free Member

go hard or go home

Go home

if it rains i still ride hard

What about if it rains hard?

normal wear and tear me thinks

You are correct.
    Everytime you ride your bike you break it a little.If you maintain your bike you can slow down how fast this occurs…a bit.If you don’t ride it,it’ll be fine forever.

Taxi..Honestly stay away from this place, for the most part you’re not worth the effort.

juan
    Free Member

What rich says, although I would be more tolerant about bike issue. Any bike on the 600 € mark (like a commie HD3 for instance) should take 2 rides a week without problem, providing some basic maintenance is done.
    For spending massive amount of time in my lbs it’s amazing the amount of people who know that something is wrong, but still ride in spite of “noise or rattling”.

acidchunks

manufacturers are usually pretty clear (in their manuals) about what sort of riding their bikes are designed to withstand….although everyone ignores this… For warranty purposes its best to play down how hardcore you are with your lbs especially if you bought the bike from them. If something does break and you want it covered then what they don’t know etc…

My first mtb was a £600 rockhopper, after 3 years the only parts of that bike I hadn’t bust and replaced were the frame, fork uppers, headset and front mech. The frame eventually gave out after 10 years…

Like others have said, looking after your bike is the key to its longevity. the majority of mtbers are their own bike mechanic…the basic skills are easy enough to learn, you might be a chef but most of us can cook 😉

acidchunks

dp, sorry.

stevepitch
    Free Member

I’m calling troll

nealglover
    Free Member

But if it has a dry rusty chain, hubs so loose they rattle, cables dry and rusty, and if its never seen a spanner or oil in the last year they will moan at you.
    When i worked in a bike shop it was frustrating when people ride their bike all year without doing any basic maintenance and then dropping it in for a service.

If I moaned at my customers for bringing me a car that needed some work doing to it, I would be out of business pretty quickly.

My best customers are the ones that treat their cars like crap. They pay more, because I have to do more.

Does the same principle not work with bikes ??

bencooper
    Free Member

Is this just perhaps a sense-of-humour failure on the part of the OP? If someone brings me a really knackered bike, I might make a joking comment along the lines of “what on earth have you done to this beautiful bike?”

druidh
    Free Member

+1

mikewsmith
    Free Member

can’t be a troll, not nearly enough Daily Failisms

mjsmke

My best customers are the ones that treat their cars like crap. They pay more, because I have to do more.

No. Look at the number of car garages there are compared to the number of cars on the road. Now look at the number of bike shops there are compared to the number of bikes out there where every one of them sells almost every tool you need to maintain the basics on a bike.

When buying a car it is not expected of the owner to carry out much maintenance themselves but a bike is different. Common sense tells us when a chain needs oil or a part is loose. It is far easier to tell if a part is loos and needs attention on a bike than a car.

trevron73
    Free Member

Collected bike this morning ,brakes have been bled and feel almost like new .Pads are down to half on brakes and BB has been serviced it was full of dirt and needs replacing next service (i can live with that ).We had a chat about use and as i hadnt specified the amount i would use and the LBS thought it would be good for me ,i still love the bike and if something breaks ill upgrade to better spec .Im not Trolling ,i was just stunned by the man in the shop saying ive wrecked a new bike ,Head set cant of been loose more than a week as i would notice it as i do a pre ride check of the bike .LBS said over 12 months wear in 6 months ,bottom line we are still friends and ill take it back for next service . I think when i went in the shop i was 115k and he thought “canal paths and river banks ” once or twice then into the shed to get rusty/dusty, when i went in this morning and had a cuppa with him and told him about Epic all nighters and Triathalons he pissed him self . OP was about a mountain bike should handle a mountain ,turns out a bit of extra tlc will keep it running .Oh he told me no jet washing (the trail center has one so i use it gonna stop now as ive been bollocked and taught a new way ,

nealglover
    Free Member

No. Look at the number of car garages there are compared to the number of cars on the road. Now look at the number of bike shops there are compared to the number of bikes out there where every one of them sells almost every tool you need to maintain the basics on a bike.
    When buying a car it is not expected of the owner to carry out much maintenance themselves but a bike is different. Common sense tells us when a chain needs oil or a part is loose. It is far easier to tell if a part is loos and needs attention on a bike than a car.

So it stands to reason then, that a customer who treats their bike badly, then takes it to a bike shop for maintenance is a good customer then surely.

The bike shop makes more money out of them, than they would out of a customer who does all their own maintenance.

charliedontsurf

Good result there. Bike fixed and ready for more.

I don’t mind badly maintained bikes if the customer is happy to pay.

But I have seen some shockers… Racks held on with string, unaware of snapped axle, riding with inches of play in crank arms, bikes so rusty the cables and mechs will never move again, a dozen broken spokes.

Happy to fix them, but it will cost more.

One guy who rode till his crank fell off, rode with snapped spokes, nothing left in the pads etc… has been told (after moaning like a bitch about the cost, days after paying, finding micro faults (his very buckled wheel was still a few mm out, but he understood before hand that it won’t be perfect and a new wheel is really needed) and wanting a refund, claiming I ripped him off because the repair cost more than the second hand bike….” If you can’t look after your bike, and you don’t want to pay me to look after your bike, don’t have a bloody bike. Next time go to the shop in Wareham”… “why”… “because I am not fixing your bike again, it’s your damned bike, you look after it”

Oh, nice to get that off my chest. Thanks.

patriotpro
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    I’m not sure what the question is.

Same here.

OP – did you write that when you’d had a few?
    What exactly is the issue?

Duggan

OP is a bit vague but think I can understand why you might be annoyed if they did actually ‘have a go’ at you for the state of your bike.

I have a £600 hardtail and would be pissed off if I got told to only use it for ‘light off road’ stuff- to me that suggest canal towpaths and gravel tracks- are people really suggesting that a £600 mountain bike is only good for that kind of use?

I do ‘normal’ mtbing on mine i.e Peak District etc and naturally it does need maintaining like any other bike. I live in a 2nd floor flat so it gets took to the LBS for most things and they are always nothing but pleased when I take it in as they know I have been mtbing on it and not riding a £600 mtb to work and back. They always make a point of taking an interest in where I’ve been and what I’ve been up to. Doubtless the cash helps too.

Anyway, if they ‘had a go’ at me for the state of it I’d be taking it elsewhere.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

STW unhappy with lbs shocker!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘LBS’ is closed to new replies.