Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • LBS Rip OFF
  • geoffj

Why’s that so wrong.

Sometimes it’s just more dignified to keep it zipped.

Frankers
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

I’ve only said that I’d not use them and not be happy with my Mrs name being put up on here.

He has got a point!!

I think the OP was being unreasonable in his rant, and that £18 to fit cables is perfectly acceptable….

About Bikes reply was very detailed and factual, but he shouldn’t have stated his or her name IMO

tollah
    Free Member

Wow this has got a little out if hand today hadn’t it?

Just to put a couple of things straight.
    I was never going to mention the shops name in anyway shape or form as ive personally always been looked after. I was just really peeved about my good ladies visit yesterday and was letting off steam as I’m sure this was a one off. And in hindsight was a stupid thing to do.

Yes the bike was crashed, what that has to do with anything us beyond me. The insurance (ctc) never came to anything anyway. The shifter failed a few months back and I was given a new one by a friend to keep her going over the next few months, her cables needed doing anyway despite the sit change. And just to defend her she did ask for Inners only thus getting a quote for £18 stung a little.
    As far as the other comments about defending the shop these are true but I’ve always been looked after that’s why I’ve defended it.

Ade I’m sorry and I guess I should have spoken with you first, even though you ride a girls bike 😉

TheSwede
    Free Member

I love the smell of back peddling in the morning. 😉
    Disclaimer. I borrowed that quote.

polodingalong
    Free Member

Tollah, even though you weren’t going to name the shop a lot of people on here know who you are and where you shop, through you being a member of a club, so it was fairly easy for them to guess which shop you meant.

I think what abe was getting at with his remark to the bike being crashed was that he gave you an hour’s workshop time for free assessing your bike and never heard anything back from it. Ok, maybe you didn’t get an insurance pay-out but a thank you of some sort or even just an update may have been appreciated.

Also if abe has helped you out so much on many occasions, 15% savings here and there, keeping the workshop open at night so you can go riding, do you really begrudge him £18 quid to fit a set of cables when it would cost you £8 or so anyway?

tollah
    Free Member

Poloding along so you knew which shop I was on about then? That’s strange as I use around 10 shops in this area so not to name the shop or to confirm anything was keeping their name safe in my opinion. The owner decided to name and shame his self.
    Giving an hours workshop time for free was appreciated and if the ctc were successful in their claim another £750 would have been spent in the shop, we both lost out there. I have no idea what you’re talking about keeping the workshop open at night? I think……. ah stuff it what’s it got to do with you anyway.

I’ve since spoken with Ade and things are what they are.
    Thread closed.

toys19
    Free Member

This is quite a boring theme on here, people complaining about the cost of goods and services when they really have no appreciation of what it costs to supply said good or service. £18 quid to supply and fit cables sounds ok to me, I mean a fully kitted out workshop with mechanic has to cost at least £30 an hour all in (rent, services, tools and wages) so if it was 8 quid for cables and an a tenner for maybe 20 mins or more of work it sounds bang on. If you don’t like it go somwhere else or learn to do your own maintainance.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Oops! 🙄

TheSwede
    Free Member

A thread is for life, not just for Tuesday. Except my last one 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thread closed.

Ha ha! You wish!

Oh no; this is some of the best quality pwnage I’ve seen on here in ages! Deserves to run to a good few hundred posts at least, I’d say!! 😀

An simple apology would be suitably appropriate, I think…

MartynS

Ade I’m sorry and I guess I should have spoken with you first, even though you ride a girls bike

selective reading again elfin??

polodingalong
    Free Member

The fact that someone was able to point out another instance where this shop has been mentioned, the hope hub, kind of shows certain folk knew what what shop you were referring to but I will agree it was Ade that named the shop, apologies on that one.

The keeping the workshop open at night was referring to the fact Ade said he stayed late to drill some bolts for you.

But heyho, it doesn’t have anything to do with me and seen as you aren’t getting the reaction you wanted off people, I’ll leave you to it.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

I know someone who knows someone who has spent man fun time with this knight and even though he will not thank me for saying it ” Our Tollah” is kind hearted,a hard drinker and a average SSer, but he is a bloody top bloke and now and again does the odd dumb thing. It happens, we all rant sometimes…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

selective reading again elfin??

Oh yeah! 🙂

So the upshot is; bloke slags off bike shop, when said shop has more than sorted him out well in the past, bike shop geezer comes on and is very polite and reasonable, original bloke mutters some sort of apology.

Is that it? Fun over? Ah, come on! It was just getting interesting!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

God, internet customers are annoying sometimes.

walleater

my husband can do it cheaper

The tight fecker should do it for free!

cynic-al
    Free Member

guys, tollah has apologised so we really should let this thread drift off quietly now OK?

mooman
    Free Member

Another LBS rant … bit of a pattern me thinks..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No chance! Someone on the internet has made themselves look a bit of a silly wally! It’s too good an opportunity to turn down!!

If it was me, or TJ or someone, you lot would be like hyenas on a springbok….

ah stuff it what’s it got to do with you anyway.

Then why mention it in the first place????

Nah, if you’re gonna come on here, slag someone off, then they come on to put their own case forward which then makes you look a bit foolish, then you deserve a bit of humiliation, surely??

The thread title is ‘LBS Rip-Off’. Which seems not to be the case. The shop has, somehow, been named, therefore this could be seen as negative publicity which I’m sure in these difficult times, they could do without. That’s someone’s business, someone’s livelihood being potentially affected. Tollah’s ‘apology’ doesn’t strike me as particularly gracious, although it seems about bikes is ok with things now. I dunno though, are they? I certainly wouldn’t be at all happy for my business to be slagged off in ‘public’ like this, speshly so unfairly.

I’m all for a lynching, me… 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

fred, you more than most , should know about making a fool of yourself on the internet 8)
    He has apologised let it lie eh.

iain1775
    Free Member

The owner decided to name and shame his self.

to be fair he named himself but I don’t think he brought shame in any way. He came across as very profesional and reasonable
    A damn sight more restrained than if it was me and someone was slagging my business off thats for sure!

But yeah agree Thread over now, its getting boring anyway

aboutbikes
    Free Member

Thought I should logon and see whats been said….its my business/livelihood, as has been indicated, and I dont feel About Bikes deserved what was said.

I dont see that mentioning names was wrong-maybe Mrs A so apologies on that-but anyone who knows Sheldon will know he’s a person who will always make his presence/views known, regardless, and his names in his profile. Why should he remain anonymous anyway??

As we are a fair/honest business I had no issue with “coming out” and putting the true story up. I feel the overall outcome has been a positive one.

I had received a Facebook email telling me we were subject of the post…..any local cyclist didnt need to be too switched on to suss it….and the “close to the railway” comment from Stu (who I have never met) was the giveaway on our location.

It just enforces my view that us cyclists are, on the whole, a fair bunch…..the posts make “interesting” reading and I will take a few tips from whats been said.

The free service deal we offer is straight down the line: Buy a bike above £450, at RRP and enjoy free labour for as long as you own the bike. There are a few caveats….ie, we charge to rectify someone elses work/repairs and charge to fit parts supplied elsewhere…..but its a good deal for those who dont enjoy fettling their own steed (correction….bike).

Oh……we have a sale on too…..(why not grab an ad opportunity eh?)

Ade

BigJohn

It was all going so well..

…and then he said steed.

My sympathies are now with the OP.

TooTall
    Free Member

Attention whore generating more attention than he actually wants?

I’ll mark that down as a first in the diary. Another bike shop I’ll use if I get the chance!

stumpynya12
    Free Member

I don’t know Ade but his responses have been very fair, considered and thoughtful and he sounds like a good guy. I do know Sheldon & the other K.O.N and they all put a lot into the SS scene and making sure people ride, enjoy and get on bikes.

They are both acting responsibly and I would hope they will have a beer together and put this one down as a bit of publicity.

Trolls now go back under your bridge ………

shoefiti
    Free Member

So what was the upshot of all this? Does anyone else think that single speed stu boning Tollah or what?

😀

singlespeedstu

and the “close to the railway” comment from Stu (who I have never met) was the giveaway on our location.

I can’t see anywhere i said that?

I don’t even know where your shop is.

Are you getting a bit confused with this quote?

farmer giles – Member

the close proximity of the railtrack ‘allows’ them to do that.

Does anyone else think that single speed stu boning Tollah or what?

Come on now that’s a bit below the belt. I’d never bone a ging never mind a fat ging. 😆

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

Funnest thread for awhile…

Well Mr Attwood you made a big idiot of yourself… But About Bikes sound like a great shop and give good service

🙂

tollah
    Free Member

Edit…..

smell_it
    Free Member

Edit…..

It would have gone slightly better for you had you shown that hindsight 3 pages ago 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well Mr Attwood you made a big idiot of yourself

That’s the bit I’ve enjoyed immensly. 🙂

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

iain1775 – Member
    “The owner decided to name and shame his self.
    to be fair he named himself but I don’t think he brought shame in any way. He came across as very profesional and reasonable

What he said.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Wish my LBS’s would offer me a 15% customer loyalty discount thingy, Swinnertons at Briches Valley and Mammoth at Milford are you reading? 😀

Some people really shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth IMHO.

If only I had a Wiggle voucher for each and every time I’ve seen yet another LBS baseless rant thread, I’d have some spangly new bike by now. 8)

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Mental Mickey – Member
    Wish my LBS’s would offer me a 15% customer loyalty discount thingy, Swinnertons at Briches Valley…

They offer 10% if you’re a member of Chase Trails, which costs £15 pa IIRC.

BadlyWiredDog

Could I just point out that if Mrs A had fitted her own cables, this thread wouldn’t exist. I can’t believe that no-one’s questioned the idea that either the LBS or hubby should be working on her bike because, of course, it’s totally impossible for a helpless woman to do anything quite so complex as fitting an inner cable for herself.

It’s like one of those comedy moments on group rides when a woman flats and the guys fight over the honour of changing her inner tube. Tragic underlying assumption that women are incapable of basic maintenance that says it all about this place.

theboatman
    Free Member

I can’t believe that no-one’s questioned the idea that either the LBS or hubby should be working on her bike because, of course, it’s totally impossible for a helpless woman to do anything quite so complex as fitting an inner cable for herself.

She took herself to the LBS and asked them to do it?? I also credit women with initiative and a brain, and simply assumed she had decided she wanted them to fit them in the same way some blokes would. High horse fail, maybe?

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL last time a female puntured on a ride I was on, the blokes all sat back expecting her to fix it, then she ended up asking for help!

I don’t ride with females very much.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    LOL last time a female puntured on a ride I was on, the blokes all sat back expecting her to fix it, then she ended up asking for help!

I fixed it for her 8)

TooTall
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Quote of the frikkin week right there folks.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

My LBS does give a loyalty discount, and they also have discount vouchers quite regularly for their internet business.

http://www.bikesyoulike.co.uk

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘LBS Rip OFF’ is closed to new replies.