Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • LBS do they usually keep cassettes in stock?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ive tried ringing my nearest LBS to see if they have a 9spd Deore cassette in stock but can't get through.

I know you won't know if that shop has one in stock but i was wondering if it is something most would have on hand or something they would have to order?

njee20
    Free Member

We always did, but I was pretty surprised to find Mud Dock didn't have any XT or PG990 cassettes with a 34t sprocket when I was in there once upon a time.

So… they should, but it shouldn't be taken for granted!

johnners
    Free Member

Most do, so do most Halfords.

druidh
    Free Member

They might, but likely to be lower end stuff for in-house repairs as there are so many internet-shoppers who won't buy at LBS prices.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

every good shop should have them…we always have them in stock!! 😆

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

i need an 11-34t cassette so i guess i'll have to order one?

i was hoping to get one from somewhere local and have them fit it on the wheel for me, ive not got the tools.

njee20
    Free Member

Well as I say, they should keep stock, but you shouldn't assume they do! Keep trying to get through?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah just got through, the only one with 11-34 they had in was an XT one at £60. Out of my price range at the minute.

soobalias
    Free Member

and how much is the cassette, a lock ring tool and a chain whip via the internet.

with the bank holidays you should have them by wednesday next week.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I'd have thought that they almost certainly keep cassettes in stock. Whether they will have exactly the one that you are after in stock is another matter.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Merlin have the cassette and chain for £28. I work so always miss the parcels and can never get to pick them up due to the post office opening times.

Oh well have to try Je James instead.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Get them sent to your work/neighbour/friend then.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I work from home but im out all day if that makes sense. The office is in the house but i drive for a job. I live in a flat and the neighbours ignore us ha.

Send it to my mates and they would fit it on theirs just to wind me up lol.

It's no problem i'll try Edingburgh Bike Co-op and Je James.

Cheers for the help guys.

Slogo
    Free Member

Yeah just got through, the only one with 11-34 they had in was an XT one at £60. Out of my price range at the minute.

you could get one online for that price plus the chain whip and socket to remove the old one.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

yup Slogo see the post above.

druidh
    Free Member

…and that's why they don't stock them….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Druidh eh?

druidh
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    there are so many internet-shoppers who won't buy at LBS prices.

Which is a real shame for those that would rather buy from a shop.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

ah i see, yeah that's how i feel. Internet shoping just doesn't work for me due to my work hours/situation.

LBS do try and price match but they just can't match the likes of Merlin.

soobalias
    Free Member

think your post is a bit harsh.

the xt cassette from merlin is nearly £45

(i understand you are happier with a lower grade, but that your lbs doesnt give you that option 🙁 )

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

which biy was harsh? i was talking about LBS in a positive light?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

oh and i love Merlin. I would buy all my gear from there if i could. Just my situation has changed and delivery is a problem.

soobalias
    Free Member

sorry, your quoted prices made the lbs look really bad, but you are not comparing apples with apples

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yup, i would have bought the deore cassette from LBS had they had it in stock. Price wise it wasn't much more. Problem was they only had XT and i just don't need that spec.

Slogo
    Free Member

im sure there is a place you can post it to and colect later.

Pook

Got the tools and part in my big box of tricks mate

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Pook to the rescue, its a new chain and new chainset so will the cassette be ok if its worn? shall i pop to james and try and get a new one.

Still be good if you could put it on for me.

takisawa2

Chap on the classifieds had a pair of mint XT 11-34's the other day for £22 each. I know this because one of them is sat in my work bag, pending transfer to spares drawer storage facility in-bound freight dock.

Pook

We can try it. Only way to see is ride it I guess

spyke85
    Free Member

EBC should have – I work for them!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

EBC did not have them or knew that they existed in 11-34.

A combination of Je James and Langsett cycles sorted me out.

Oh and hopefully a little help from Pook tomorrow fitting the cassette.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘LBS do they usually keep cassettes in stock?’ is closed to new replies.