Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Layback Seatpost
  • Bludgeon
    Free Member

Hi,

I am quite tall with long limbs and I'm finding that I have to perch on the back of my seat when I'm in XC mode on my Cannondale Prophet. Pedalling doesn't seem natural if I don't. The saddle is already at the end of the rails, so I was thinking about one of these seatposts or something similar

Does anyone have an opinion/suggestion. What would the side effects of a layback post? Lighter front end?

As ever, thanks for the help.

Andrew

singletracksurfer

loadsa people use 'em. if you need more reach its a good way to go.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

singletracksurfer – Member

loadsa people use 'em. if you need more reach its a good way to go.

No, it you need more reach get a longer stem.

However as the OP say he is perched on the back of the saddle then he needs to get behind the BB a bit more for a more natural pedal stroke, anyhow the Thomsons are nice, some people hate the design I like them.

foxyrider
    Free Member

No, it you need more reach get a longer stem.

Not necc KINGTUT – a longer stem means a slower responce and more weight over the front so less nice IMHO to descend on!

pjt201
    Free Member

I wouldn't be surprised if your prophet already has a layback seatpost. Those thomson posts on give 20mm layback which is normally achieved at the clamp rather than with a bent seatpost, would be worth checking before shelling out the cash.

nuke

I use a layback seatpost as opposed to a longer stem…don't want to mess with the handling. Works fine for me.

iirc Prophets have pretty long TT anyway: sure the frame is the right size for you?

Bludgeon
    Free Member

Thanks guys. To answer some questions:

I put a shorter stem on it because I felt too far fwd on steep descents and I wanted a faster steering response. I use the bike for DH too…. after all, it's supposed to be all mountain.

Another thing is, pulling the front up to get over obstacles is also tricky. This tells me that too much weight is on the front or perhaps, I am still too far fwd. Not balanced well enough? Maybe I should get a stem with an rise in it?

Getting behind the BB is the key. A longer stem would move me fwd again.

I checked the seatpost. It's a straight. In house C3.

Frame is a large

Foundry
    Free Member

I am 6'4" and know what you are talking about, I think anyway. I solved the problem by putting 180mm cranks on, I now have the right reach and my pedalling position is right as well. Hope this helps

singletracksurfer

didn't say it was necessarily right, just lots people prefer to have layback than longer stem – especially as most XC bikes will have a stem around 100mm as spec anyway. As FR says longer stems slow steering.

some folk say your knee should be over the pedal axle when your foot is horizontal (3 o'clock position).

james
    Free Member

a shorter stem means a quicker response and more weight over the front so less nice IMHO to climb on!

Bikes are all one big compromise. I'd suggest if you want more space in the top tube and are thinking about a seatpost with a little more layback, also get a longer stem so that the overall balance on the bike is still in about the same place

Bludgeon
    Free Member

I'm on 175mm cranks at the mo, but that seems OK. It's just when seat is up and I'm pedalling I don't see to be getting everything out of my legs and my bum wants to move back.

I'll check the knee position tomorrow.

Do you think that a stem with a rise would help?

Of course this could be my lanky body just not fitting or perhaps the Prophet frame is a compromise between XC and DH.

markenduro
    Free Member

Don't bother with the thomson one if you really want a layback stem. They are a lovely piece of engineering but the layback puts the seat in exactly the came place as a normal seatpost as the clamp is directly in line with the centreline of the post, compare it to this to see what I mean:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20568

ojom
    Free Member

markenduro – you will find the vast majority of seatposts tend to be layback, its just the thomson is 'obviously' laidback.

people sometimes get confused by it – the 'normal' you refer to is indeed a layback.

markenduro
    Free Member

bikechain, thomsons always seems to get people confused, I run them and got slated for fitting one to a ti frame a while back by somebody who didn't know.

ojom
    Free Member

fail. they need to make a 'normal' one then you can ride without persecution.

the ignorance of others eh 🙄

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Where are you based? I have Thompson Masterpiece layback I am thinking of swapping for a straight post. Email me via the Big Bike Bash contact address

Cheers

Bludgeon
    Free Member

I live near Buckinham.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Layback Seatpost’ is closed to new replies.