Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lawyers
  • Joxster
    Free Member

I will be in need of a divorce lawyer as of June next year, I have the feeling that this could get messy but more from the money grabbing whore that will be my ex wife. Has anyone got any recommendations or any advice on what questions I should be asking. They need to be practised in English law and will probably need to be reasonably priced because of afore mentioned money grabbing whore. There are no kids involved thankfully.

Thanks

crankboy
    Free Member

Why is divorce so expensive?

because it’s worth it….

What part of the country are you in?

scaredypants

may be better without kids but my advice is to lube-up before it starts

crankboy
    Free Member

off now so

In the north east medium wealth = David Grays

In Leeds low to medium wealth Ison Harrisons medium to high wealth Lupton Fawcett. High wealth Richard Manning at O’Garras.

Obviously the wealth level is what you start out with .

Junkyard
    Free Member

familymediation is cheaper and quicker offer this first. try working [better than solicitors ]for me. Solicitors will tell the ither half extremes of what they may get as it is in their best interest to create strife as they earn more. I am sure they defend this as getting the nest for the client. Surely 50/50 including pensions etc. is spousal support a factor? expect way less than what is fair and then add some 😕

Joxster
    Free Member

I’m in Edinburgh but got married in London

iDave
    Free Member

Decide how little you can tolerate coming away with, offer it now, with no lawyers involved and explain how it makes everyone’s life less miserable and you can both move on sooner. Then get solicitors to draw up the agreement. That was my route out. Done in 3 months, less pain, less money/property, but relative freedom and no huge fee’s to legal bandits.

BillMC

How do you go about forcing a sale of a house when ex refuses a divorce after 3 years of separation, 24 years of marriage, kids are grown up and there’s enough equity for two houses after the sale of marital home?

iDave
    Free Member

Bill, you don’t need her to agree to a divorce. Serve divorce papers on her… house sale will/should follow on from that

HughStew

We went to mediation, and before and after agreeing a deal I conferred with my lawyers to see what I should offer and if what we’d agreed was a reasonable deal. My advice, depending of course on how much is at stake, is to get the best lawyer you can. I went to a senior partner at the top family law firm in the region, not cheap but well worth knowing you’re not being shafted.

Also stay in charge of your bill with the lawyers. I started out by saying that I was only going to pay them for what I directly asked them to do, ie: their time for meetings and phone calls. They still sent me a bill with loads of random charges for the time of people I never met or spoke to, stuff like “Review of Case File”. I refused to pay and they backed down sharpish.

Good Luck.

cinnamon_girl

How do you go about forcing a sale of a house when ex refuses a divorce after 3 years of separation, 24 years of marriage, kids are grown up and there’s enough equity for two houses after the sale of marital home?

Have you been legally separated? If you have been legally separated for two years, you can apply for divorce BUT ex has to agree.

As regards the house, if you are legally separated then surely this would have been included in the Separation Agreement?

After two years of legal separation, I applied for a divorce only for my ex to refuse, solicitor said there was nothing he could do. Naturally, my ex is refusing for a reason. 👿

gingerflash

I would strongly recommend William Kay at Harrowells in York. He’s highly rated, a really nice guy, even a cyclist and triathlete.

Peter Morris at Irwin Mitchell in Leeds is another to consider.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lawyers’ is closed to new replies.