• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Latest Mavic Crossmax XL wheelset, any good?
  • beer247
    Free Member

So, I’m fed up of having to constantly true and re-tension my Roval Carbon Wheelset (specifically the back wheel)

I noticed that new Mavic Crossmax XL is a reasonable price, 30mm internal, sub 2000g weight, no faffing with tubeless tape and most importantly – in stock!

Has anyone had experience with them?

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t have the latest ones but they seem to be the same basic design as previous Mavic wheels.

So they should feel great to ride, be competitive on weight and a good choice for a trail bike – but a bit too flimsy for going full enduro.

If you’re getting a carbon wheel out of true, perhaps you need something more sturdy?

jam-bo

I have the normal 2020 crossmax’s, 25mm internal. roll well, haven’t bent them yet, go up really easy tubeless.

and I could buy them…

davros

Not these ones but I’ve been impressed with the xa wheels which preceded them.

matt_outandabout

I have had two sets of older Crossmax XL in 26″ flavour – both lasted well under teens, kids and myself.

You did need a different spoke key.

The freewheel had some plastic parts in IIRC, but were easy to replace when they did wear.

richmtb

I’ve got a set of older Crossmax XL WTS (circa 2016 I think). I love them, really nice wheels and they have been pretty bullet proof. After 5 years of being ridden they are just at the point where I think they might need the bearings swapped in the rear wheel as there is a little bit of play

chakaping
    Free Member

I have had two sets of older Crossmax XL in 26″ flavour

Those were brilliant wheels – but more enduro/freeride and much tougher. It seems they’ve moved the XL name over to the trail wheels now.

jam-bo

You did need a different spoke key.

normal spokes/nipples now.

beer247
    Free Member

I also have my eyes on the Hunt Enduro Wide wheelset – just come back into stock but a bit hefty!

pothead
    Free Member

I’m fed up of having to constantly true and re-tension

I’m no expert but I thought one of the main selling points of a carbon rim is that it will always stay true? Mt E Thirteen trsr have never buckled in the slightest in 2 years. Sorry but no experience of recent Mavic wheels

chakaping
    Free Member

Could just get a custom rear wheel Pro 4 / EX511 – tough as old boots.

DezB
    Free Member

Throttle I bought has Crossmax. Been de-stickered, so not sure which model. Seem great though. As someone said, now have normal spokes (and a nice deep buzz to the freehub.)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Latest Mavic Crossmax XL wheelset, any good?’ is closed to new replies.