Latest Crop Circle!!! Waylands Smithy, Oxfordshire

Home Forum Chat Forum Latest Crop Circle!!! Waylands Smithy, Oxfordshire

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Latest Crop Circle!!! Waylands Smithy, Oxfordshire
  • franki

That is class!!!

ernie_lynch

Whats everyones opinion on these things??

Never mind that, the only opinion that is of any interest on such matters, is Simon Ralli’s.

andywhit

I, for one, welcome our alien jellyfish overlords.

They’re easier to make than you might imagine. 😉

Max Wall

You know something about these things then CaptainFlash?? Or is it all very hush-hush in the secret world of geometric wizards??

bigsi

They are watching us 😯

ernie_lynch

I know something about these things – they always seem to appear not very far from public houses of the watering kind. Although I don’t know the significance of that.

waihiboy

Ain’t it two p*ssed up retired old guys with a plank of wood and a bit of rope?

waihiboy – Member
    Ain’t it two p*ssed up retired old guys with a plank of wood and a bit of rope?

Not always old, not always two, not always retired. Usually p*ssed, though.

uplink

As with all things of that scale – seeing the big picture is the difficult bit, the actual process is pretty simple

Pigface

Screws up a field of wheat, that field is about 4 miles from me.

coffeeking

I@m sure the farmer is really chuffed at whoever the idiot is that did that.

Keva

giant sketch a graph !?!

Max Wall

Really liking this one!! and no I didn’t help to make it!! Whats everyones opinion on these things??

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Effectively drawing (quite artful) graffiti over someone’s livelihood.

But if done with the farmer’s permission then all good and very clever.

scuttler

Love it!

Was lucky enough to see this fine effort at Milk Hill in Wiltshire in 2001.

It’s apparently still the largest ever created. The farmer was making a quid or two letting cars up the access track so not too upset about the livelihood thing.

More here and here

simonralli2

Well if I were to offer an opinion, I would say the best book about crop cirles is this one for anyone wishing to read about the phenomena in depth

That is all I shall say 🙂

roper

I don’t care how they are made.
    Some of them are simply stunning.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Looks like the farmers aren’t too pleased about that jellyfish one. Wonder if they can sue the lizard people?

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

ridiculous claim of £600,000 of damage.

At 250m x 60m in size, it takes up about 1.5 hecatres.

Wheat yields are about 8 tonnes a hectare and wheat spot prices around £120 a tonne.

Total value of the crop damaged: £1,400 ish.

To get to £600,000 the aliens would have had to salt the earth in spite when they finished! 😉

IanMunro

“The pattern has already cost a great deal of damage – possibly about £600,000

I see it uses one of journalism’s most favourite words – ‘possibly’. Up there with ‘as much as’ and ‘may’ as an invite to make up random figures 🙂

SiB

Who said the crop was wheat?

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

from the pictures you can tell its wheat or barley.

SiB

Its an ariel shot of a green field, a fairly high ariel shot so as to fit in its 250m length….nearly impossible to tell its wheat (or barley) from such a distance IMO unless you are some kind of crop expert? Dont tell me, you’re an ariel crop sprayer!

Should ask Pigface above to go and clarify what the crop is as only lives 4 miles away

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

I used to work on an arable farm.

Its not rape, linseed, flax or maize (and pissed blokes with planks arent known to favour tramping through any of those as they’re qwuite tricky to get right 🙂 )

SiB

Hemp? Probably too early on in the year for that, not enough sun yet unless the owners have dismantled a few hundred growing lamps before the police arrived?

It probably is wheat!

caledonia

600,000 is not unreasonable.
    It’s Vandalism, trespassing, then there are the further visitors trespassing.
    If there is further damage to the field, then it won’t be worthwhile combining any of it, so the whole yield is wasted.
    Not just the Crop either, the straw for bedding which will need to be replaced, or lost revenue from that.
    If the field cannot be properly harvested, then next years crop rotation will also be wasted, and then how many more after that.

If you want to do it, buy your own field, work the land for years, cultivate it, plant it, and then ruin it !

Vandalism, plain and simple.

Yes I did grow up on a farm, and yes I do know what I’m talking about.

[/Rant]

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

come off it caledonia – arable land prices alone are about £5,000 per acre. That £600k “loss” implies a write-off of income over 100 acres of land in perpetuity! That’s ridiculous.

caledonia

it’s the whole thing, like i said, that field will potantially be a total loss.
    If it can’t be properly harvested then it’ll take days to rip out.
    And as I said, if the farmer can’t properly rotate next year because of it, then there is a knock on effect.

Add to that, EACH possible prosecution for Trasspassing.
    Then an prosecution for the initial vandalism.

It’s not just as simple as ‘cost per acre’ !
    Was the point I made !

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Add to that, EACH possible prosecution for Trasspassing.
    Then an prosecution for the initial vandalism.

and their Alien abduction insurance premiums must have gone skyhigh now too!
    😉

timber

so that’s £1400 for the lost crop, £600 for the farmers trouble and £558,000 in legal tat

It will be an arse to harvest through the thick lines that cross the header, those aren’t cheap

All in all, a lot of wasted man hours spent and to be spent, last thing I’d want is a field I have to f about with for an extra day, especially such a large clear easy field

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

The £600k is probably the cost of all the flight time used in viewing the bloody things.

Quite ironic really, while some poor feckers struggle to raise crops to feed their families, a bunch of bored middle class pricks see fit to destroy perfectly good crops in order to create pretty patterns.

wysiwyg

Problem – done!

timber

wysiwyg – not’sposed to anymore, got to leave the stubble for wildlife and ground cover and plough all back in late

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Given the field size the farmer or his contractor will have an all-singing, all-dancing harvester that will more than likely pick that up ok. 600k, made up number!

Premier Icon glenh
    Subscriber

The BBC seem to have revised the figure to £600:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/8080315.stm

Premier Icon DavidB
    Subscriber

Max Wall

Firstly – awesome forum name, made me walk funny round the kitchen for a while
    Secondly – have you ridden out to it? I might go and have a look tonight but wondered how impressive it is from the ground

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

hahahahaha.

that’s much more like it.
    I knew my maths was right 🙂

I can just see some BBC hack thinking “£600? that’s not a lot. maybe they meant £600,000. Yeah, that’s what I’ll put down…”

wysiwyg

timber-i know but i do miss the smell, and the closing of the A1.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Latest Crop Circle!!! Waylands Smithy, Oxfordshire’ is closed to new replies.