Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Late Season Verbier Trip
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi.

As a bit of a treat to my wife (and myself) I am working up a plan to do a late season trip to Verbier. I have booked flights to Geneva and need to organise the rest. I am looking for lift assisted singletrack, rather than DH or bike park riding.

So far the only progress I have made is sorting guiding – Pure Biking Verbier have come back and confirmed the days I am traveling are available and now in their diary. As childcare is an issue, we have to limit nights away from home. We are there for such a limited time, I thought it as worth getting guiding (we arrive Friday pm, leave Sunday pm), to make sure we get the best of our time there.

Any advice on accommodation, bike choice and/or bike hire or transfers would be appreciated. I have got some links from here: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/verbier-switzerland-your-essential-guide-2016.html

Transfers: was going to take the train (as I thought private transfers would be too much $$$ and train trip is supposed to be nice).

Bikes: was going to hire a FS for my wife, as she has an old 100 xc hardtail. For me I was considering taking my Bfe (has a 150mm fork). My FS is not yet built (appreciate it would likely be better).

Hotels: no idea as yet, but see they do some stay and ticket deals.

Any advice from those that have been and are in the know would be gratefully received.

lapierrelady

Where to stay… do consider le chable to stay…it’s cheaper and the gondola (free parking if you end up with a hire car) is the quickest way up the hill. Do you have any hotel points? We had a free night at the W late season which was pretty amazing, despite the underpowered jacuzzi.

Re bike hire, a friend hired a bike the last time we were out there, although we stayed with Bike Verbier and they organised it, there seemed to be a good range of bikes etc in town.

Guiding is definitely the way to go…the footpath network is very accessible, but more fun with someone who knows where they are going.

Can Pure Biking pick you up at Geneva?

mrmo
    Free Member

Check the cable cars are running, they do shut most of the network down in a few weeks. Some drops to weekends only etc.

If you stay in the resort you get free lift passes, 1/2 price for the bike.

Most people I saw today were on E-Bikes, and it appears a lot of the hire places are going that way, but it is a fairly long way to the top if you ride. Which I guess is connected.

The train is easy, and you can get a bus up the mountain. Ask for ticket to Verbier, even though the train stops in Le Chable. But you need a bike ticket if the bike looks like a bike.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks both for the input. Will look a bit more at travel and hotels.

i am hoping to mix up some climbing with some uphill, but as per the above think some of the lifts will be closed.

What are the footpaths like? Hardtail ok?

mrmo
    Free Member

really depends on how far you’re willing to push yourself. I have done the easy DH course on a HT, slowly, but I hate DHs, the harder courses, forget it!

As for other trails, some are easy, some aren’t. Some of the access roads are fairly smooth and some aren’t. You can ride to the glacier, FS would make the ride more comfortable but wouldn’t be necessary.

gribble
    Free Member

Really appreciate all the input – as an update: booked a hotel centrally (Bristol), only because our stay is short and I wanted to be in the centre for dinner etc, if possible. Tickets etc all sorted for uplifts.

We are travelling in by train and will get the bus up, as the bubble car thing does not work on a Friday that late in the season. Not all lifts are open, but the guide (PureBiking Verbier) are able to link up with a combination of lifts and public transport.

Bike wise, I am going to take my Bfe and for Mrs G, she has kindly been given a new Specialized Camber for her birthday. I put the money earmarked for rental towards a new bike for her, because I am nice like that.

Really looking forward to the trip now – never ridden in the Alps so am very excited.

earl_brutus

the trails I did in verbier would be brutal on a hardtail, I took a santa cruz blur first time and a yeti asr5 last time which were ideal. I do like going fast tho!

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks Earl; have a FS Transition being built up but am looking to do some of the footpaths/enduro trails, rather than any downhill. None the less I think it will be hard going, then Mrs won’t want to pin it so am going to take my time…

earl_brutus

If you go steady youll be ok, just rely on skills rather than suspension!  take big rubber EXO protection or dual ply tyres, dont use metallic brake pads as theyre noisy as hell  take resin or organic pads ( and spares ) is my only other advice

gribble
    Free Member

Earl; I did not heed your advice on the brake pads (not deliberate, just not organized). Pads were squeeling on the rear (which I think was due to heat build up and then the pads sort of glazing over – not sure if I am talking pish).

Apart from that hardtail was fine, just a bit bumpy on the bum on the way down.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Late Season Verbier Trip’ is closed to new replies.