Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Last two flying Lancasters
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

are not going to make the Bournemouth air show this weekend which is a shame.

It makes the perfect fly past that the Big Bike Bash saw last weekend during rehearsals even more special.

That and the Spitfire being led by the Hurricane were both pretty special.

Just a couple of the “Value Adds” the BBB brings to you 😉

chip
    Free Member

The spitfire and hurricane flew over my house on the jubilee.
    very unmistakable the sound of the merlin engine and very evocative of the war even to someone who was born 30 years after it finished.

arcing
    Free Member

I too had the pleasure of both Lancasters and a hurricane fly over the house last weekend. We ran outside knowing it was something special just from the noise.

DezB
    Free Member

Was a special moment at the BBB.

b1gf00t
    Free Member

The Canadian Lanc is out of action due to engine problems and not flying for a while.

DrP

I even put my foot down in the track stand comp to stare up at them!,

DrP

shifter
    Free Member

Very lucky to have it cruising over my house several times this week.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Dr p – no doubt the thoughts also distracted you on the hill climb too?

ji
    Free Member

Yeah – the british Lanc and the spitfire/hurricane often pass over. ALso see the Red Arrows regularly too!

petersnell
    Free Member

They were all parked outside our hangar at Southend last week. Lots of excited plane spotters!

willard

Was on my way back home last weekend as they finished at the Gransden airshow and flew over the A428 in formation. A sight I never thought I would see. Very special.

Where we are we get to see Spitfires practicing for airshows quite a lot. Awesome noises.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Canadian Lanc is out of action due to engine problems and not flying for a while.

What a shame, I was planning a bike ride on the hills around lake Windemere, to watch their fly over.

allthegear
    Free Member

I had a quick ride around to a corner of RAF Marham the other day to see the two Lancasters and the Vulcan. A trio of Avro planes all flying in really quite close formation, which was quite nice… 🙂

Rachel

http://twitter.com/rachel_norfolk/status/502445842486550528/photo/1

slowjo
    Free Member

Haven’t seen the Lancs sadly but we do get lots of ‘warbirds’ over our house during the Duxford weekends as we seem to be in their stacking area.

You can always yell something special is on the way because of the engine note.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I remember the noise of the Vulcan when it launched itself into near vertical climb directly above the BBB a few years back.

Stunning

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Due to the loan of a spare engine from the BBMF, the Canadian Lanc is hoping to be flying again by Tuesday for the three Lancs event at East Kirkby – it had better be, it’s a long drive from the Fylde coast to go and see it!

DrP

Nick – I wasn’t even sure I was taking part in the hill climb when I did!
    I was in a grump because it wasn’t on the dh track, and had been drinking cider (and riding the one lapper) to sooth my sorrows!!
    Basically I didn’t listen to the ‘rules’ and messed about, not taking it seriously!

DrP

slowoldman

Does anyone have any detailed info on the flight plan for next Sunday – 7th Sep? I see they are over Holmfirth in the afternoon and it would appear to me that if they are going there a trip to Howden reservoir might be in the offing.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Had a low level formation flyby from both Lancasters, Spitfire and hurricane whilst out on a road ride last week. Being in Oxfordshire I assume they were flying between commitments. Munqe Chick was finishing her peak week of iron man training (20hrs) so obviously I claimed I’d organised it for her…

souldrummer
    Free Member

I don’t know whether I imagined it, but I am sure I saw an unmarked Spitfire fly south over Guildford an hour or so ago and then back north a few minutes ago.

ratherbeintobago

Does anyone have any detailed info on the flight plan for next Sunday – 7th Sep? I see they are over Holmfirth in the afternoon and it would appear to me that if they are going there a trip to Howden reservoir might be in the offing.

Aren’t the two flying Lancs meant to be joining NX611 at East Kirkby on 07 Sep?

drlex
    Free Member

[Quote]I don’t know whether I imagined it, but I am sure I saw an unmarked Spitfire fly south over Guildford an hour or so ago and then back north a few minutes ago.
    [/quote]
    Wonder if it was the same one that flew over Taunton this afternoon?
    OT: a pilot friend met the pilot of the U.K. Lancaster, and reckoned that with its popularity at air shows, he’d now logged more flying hours on it than any of the wartime crews. (It was also a nicer plane to fly than the more modern “day job” crate.)

ratherbeintobago

a pilot friend met the pilot of the U.K. Lancaster, and reckoned that with its popularity at air shows, he’d now logged more flying hours on it than any of the wartime crews.

Given that an awful lot of crews didn’t survive their first six operations…

drlex
    Free Member

True; it was a sad reflection/poignant observation rather than a humblebrag.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Due over the Forties festival at the MK museum today at 1540.

One only, and it flew over at 1515.

I saw it, but many folk were inside looking at stuff, expecting it to be on time and missed out. It was supposed to be the highlight of a big two-day festival.

A bit shoddy really. A few minutes, well OK. Half an hour early…

CountZero

Due over the Forties festival at the MK museum today at 1540.

One only, and it flew over at 1515.

I saw it, but many folk were inside looking at stuff, expecting it to be on time and missed out. It was supposed to be the highlight of a big two-day festival.

A bit shoddy really. A few minutes, well OK. Half an hour early…
    While there’s an element of truth to that, the real responsibility lay with the organisers failing to keep visitors up to date with what the Lanc was doing, the crew usually keep in touch with the ground regarding any issues via phone.
    The organisers at the Wings and Wheels show in Dorset last week had phone calls from the lead Lanc informing them that there had been an issue causing a fifteen minute delay, and they would be over at 1745 instead of 1730, and they kept us up to date all the way to their appearance.

cozz
    Free Member

I drove over to ratcliffe near nottingham, saw it fly over before I could get parked up = was in my old landrover, so couldnt even hear the lanc over my own engine !

it was earlier than expected which was a shame

might try collingham in a few weeks

crazy-legs

Only chance for me is the Southport airshow. Annoyingly its up North doing various flypasts on all the days I can’t get to any of them!

jamj1974

Amazing, amazing aircraft. Don’t know quite why but seeing such key British Second World War aircraft gets me just ‘here’. Makes me feel very emotional. I’m probably the last person to suffer from nationalism or jingoism but I get a real sense of pride, awe and humbleness.

Amazing machines, made by people like us and flown by people like us who did extraordinary things. Some of those things we may not see in the same way now but without doubt they were brave men – or brave boys…

I don’t drive past the Castle Bromwich Jaguar factory without thinking of what went on there.

Nipper99
    Free Member

the Canadian one is on ice pilots now (discovery)

scaredypants

we were at bournemouth today.

the british lancaster and a spitfire were there – canadian plane has an engine fault so they’re fitting a spare from the UK “fleet”.

I reckon the “unmarked spitfire” was prob from this show too – there was a modern trainer (didn’t remember the name) that looked and sounded a bit spitfirey.

(ed: the vulcan was great – did a couple of slow approaches to the crowd and then banked over & hit the throttles 😯 . One of our friends said to me “isn’t it quiet” when it did it’s intial pass along the beach. Twenty seconds later she was shouting “**** hell” 😆 )

Shakey
    Free Member

According to my son the Memorial flight were at RAFA Shoreham today even though the website said the Lancaster has a mechanical fault!!

scaredypants

memorial flight was at the bournemouth show (1xspit, 1x lanc); canadian lancaster was intended to be there but was grounded

jamj1974

Would be great to re-manufacture some of these real pieces of history…

mrmoofo

One of the Lancasters was at Shoreham yesterday …
    It flew over Worthing …
    But I don’t think they were there today

Karl33to
    Free Member

Was down in Bournemouth all weekend, the Vulcan was fairly noisy, but the Euro fighter was on a completely different level, missed most of it due to being sat in the back of a taxi though, gutted!

CountZero

Some pics I’ve just got around to uploading from last Saturday’s flypast at Henstridge Airfield:

[/url] Untitled by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Last two flying Lancasters’ is closed to new replies.