Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Last time you were really scared?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Walking up Helvellyn in deep snow from Thirlmere on Sat.
    Just below Lower Man on a steep part thinking ‘if I slip now…’ whilst down looking at a very long slide with no way of stopping. Group of 6…one of us had crampons on and it wasn’t me.
    Then like a tool, I was coaxed into going up an even steeper snowy/icy slope from Grisedale Tarn up Fairfield.
    All I could think on was the consequences of an easily misplaced foot – stupid and not the fun it should have been. Very relieved when it flattened out a bit and I knew I was going to be ok.

When was your last shitty-pants moment?

Sam

similar long drop, no safety ropes, high exposure on a levada walk in madeira. probably the most scared i’ve ever been actually…

ojom
    Free Member

All the time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pook

weirdly, walking up Ayers Rock/uluru. It just didn’t feel right and i had to turn round and head back down.

br
    Free Member

Night out in Cardiff…

davidjones15
    Free Member

I’ve looked death squarely in the eyes and survived, I don’t do scared. I now do damage limitation exercises.

yossarian
    Free Member

The isle of Sheppey

yunki
    Free Member

when I had a chance encounter with a little white bull.. 😳

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

In the laundry at work about a year ago. 3 prisoners had been on the hootch & started acting the goat, general alarm went & I was one of the 1st there to go in & meet 3 cons swinging metal stillage corner pieces at staff.
    Batons were racked that day & it was a scary.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Last time I was in a plane.

Markie
    Free Member

When Ms Markie Jr was born… the first 37 hours of hospital labour were fine (for me!), the last 4 horrendous.

rascal
    Free Member

b r – especially when Cardiff scum are playing at home!

user-removed
    Free Member

Last night ride when I suddenly remembered the sound effects from a recently watched horror film. I know it’s often spoken of on here, but the primal fear which grips a full grown 40 year old man when alone in the dark woods is very surprising and incredibly powerful if you indulge it for even a few seconds!

yunki
    Free Member

the primal fear which grips a full grown 40 year old man when alone in the dark woods is very surprising and incredibly powerful if you indulge it for even a few seconds!

I’ve fallen prey to that a fair bit recently too.. 😳

piha
    Free Member

b r – Member

Night out in Cardiff…

You need to be a bit more specific….Caroline Street @ 1.30am on Mad Friday.

jam-bo

In a delivery room 13 weeks before we should have been…

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

essellgruntfuttock- a quick question about prisons if I may, now I’m aware there are plenty of folk for whom decent parents and support in their early years would have set them on a different path but in your experience what percentage of the folk you work with are just wrong uns?

riderideride
    Free Member

im feb,on a plane landing into perth oz,the wind was tossing the plane like a salad,i really thought my time had come

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Right now.

Going to the neurology unit tomorrow morning to find out the results of Mrs mW’s surgery to reduce a brain tumour along with the prognosis and hopefully a future treatment plan. It’s been two weeks of being dealt the shitty card at every turn and we could do with getting one piece of even mildly optimistic news.

whattyre
    Free Member

End of thread muppet…..good luck tomoro….healing vibes!

Duane…
    Free Member

Moving up the banking at Glagow Velodrome for the first time.

Was also the first time riding a fixie. And riding clips.

EDIT: Best of luck muppetWrangler!

rascal
    Free Member

Hope it’s good news muppet.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Going to the neurology unit tomorrow morning to find out the results of Mrs mW’s surgery to reduce a brain tumour along with the prognosis and hopefully a future treatment plan. It’s been two weeks of being dealt the shitty card at every turn and we could do with getting one piece of even mildly optimistic news.

She’ll be right. You’ll be fine. Be strong.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Best of luck muppetwrangler, god bless.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Broke down in the outside lane of the M6 last night and had to sit there for 20 mins before being rescued by the nice men from the highways agency.

Wasn’t scared though cos I’m not a pussy – I’m a tiger! Grrrrrrr!!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Good luck to muppets Mrs

Mine was telling the wife I had hurt myself again and it might be serious. I think it came out more like ‘call the fekin ambulance, this ones a badden’.

Followed by much grunting and groaning and repeated requests for a camera to take pictures and morphine as soon as the 999 mob arrived.

Bregante

Different kind of scared I suppose but around 15 years ago I went on a call after a woman rang 999 whispering “get the police quickly”. It was the early hours of the morning and the house was a big old ramshackle property which had once been separate flats but was now practically derelict after a fire at the premises a couple of weeks earlier.

I walked in to find a woman in her thirties holding a doll sat on a sofa in a room in the ground floor.There was no power on in the house and the woman just didn’t seem to register that I was there. I was just starting to get seriously creeped out when the woman screamed “NOW, DO IT NOW” and I heard someone move on the stairs out in the corridor behind me.

I honestly thought I’d walked into some sort of set up. Baton drawn (no c.s back then) I flung myself into the hallway and very nearly clobbered a young boy of about 6 who must have been sat there the whole time. Properly cracked myself. The woman had some serious mental health issues and was later sectioned and the kid was taken to her mums but it properly put the shitters on me for a few seconds!

pingu66
    Free Member

Hope its all good tomorrow muppet.

RustySpanner

Everything crossed for the MW’s tomorrow.
    Hope all goes ok folks.

Bregante

All the best to MuppetWrangler and Mrs.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Good luck mW & Mrs mW.

freeagent
    Free Member

September 28th 2010.
    wife in labour with our second child – everything goes horribly wrong just at the ponit she starts to push the baby out.
    Babys heart stops – she is rushed into theatre with me running along the corridor behind the bed.
    I sit alone in the corridor for almost and hour before two doctors bring out our daughter, barely alive, and rush her up to SCBU…
    The second doctor says to me “someone will be out to talk to you about your wife in a minute”
    the following 45mins were a whirl of blackness – I was convinced she was dead… she is then wheeled out of theatre, and straight upto ICU.
    Her previous C-Section scar had given way during delivery, causing our daughter to fall out of the womb and into the abdominal cavity – drowning in blood.
    Our Daughter was resuscitated multiple times to keep her with us, and my wife had over 200 stiches to repair the damamge.
    There was a 1 in 300 chance they’d both survive.. thankfully they were the 1 in 300…

we won’t be having any more babies.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

essellgruntfuttock- a quick question about prisons if I may, now I’m aware there are plenty of folk for whom decent parents and support in their early years would have set them on a different path but in your experience what percentage of the folk you work with are just wrong uns?

That is a difficult one & without looking at every prisoner’s history (on my wing) It’d be impossible to answer, but out of 50 on the wing I think there’s about 30 who are on their 2nd (or more) sentence. I’d say we’re an average wing & the jail has a capacity of 820.
    So in our place, 60% ish. In Cat A & B jails, could be higher but I don’t know for any degree of certainty.

twohats
    Free Member

In the Alps this summer, way off the beaten track on a very long single track decent that had a very large drop on one side. I made the mistake of looking down the drop and thinking how I might die if I was to go over it, the fear kicked in then.

loddrik
    Free Member

Wife’s sister has cancer which has only just been diagnosed, she’s in her early thirties and at a similar age with the same sort of cancer that my mum died with. I’m pretty scared for both the sister in law and especially for the wife as they’re very close and it’ll probably devastate her if the worst was to happen.

Neil-F
    Free Member

A recent two seater flying experience.
    great fun, but the ex-Nimrod pilot I was with took great pleasure in fully banking the Cessna so that all I could see out my window was the ground….. 3000ft below, and all that was stopping it getting closer was a seatbelt and a flimsy wee door!! 😯

Bregante

This one didn’t happen to me but was considered something of an “initiation” a long time ago on the shift i was on.
    At one of our training stations there was a room set up as a crime scene, complete with a fully clothed tailors dummy “murder victim”.

This was liberated late one autumn night and placed in the cemetery. The comms officer (who was in on it) asked the victim to investigate a report of “an unconscious male, not breathing” in the local cemetery at around 5 in the morning. The lad went along with his tutor and laughed out loud when he got within 20 or so yards of the “body” which was propped on a gravestone on a pile of leaves. He could clearly see what it was and realised that his colleagues were having him on.

What he didn’t realise, as he picked the dummy up to return it to its rightful place was that another of his colleagues was lying underneath the leaves. I can still hear the screams now 😆 .

brakes
    Free Member

last night. 4am. I was walking through the hall of my house in the pitch dark and felt something lightly brush my arm. stopped dead in my tracks. no sound. nothing there, just my imagination? slowly turned and reached out. OUCH! something scratched my hand and I heard a rustling and what sounded like the jingle of bells?!?
    bloody Christmas tree.

davidjones15
    Free Member

great pleasure in fully banking the Cessna so that all I could see out my window was the ground…..

Ace, isn’t it?

TiRed

MW, hope all goes well. My sister has Stage IV melanoma, having already survived 7 weeks in the ITU for Acute lung injury. Sitting with her and the oncologist is always scary. Take each day as it comes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Last time you were really scared?’ is closed to new replies.