Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Last time I go to Evans/LBS to buy anything
  • rydster
    Free Member

Last two times I’ve driven to Evans (13 miles) to buy something I needed – in lieu of ordering online and waiting a couple of days – I’ve completely wasted my time.

Last time it was a single speed chain, now it’s tubeless rim tape.

Hell even Halford’s the other day had no C02 cartridges.

What’s the point of even going to a bricks and mortar store now! 😀

Even Homebase was out of methylated spirit’s the other day.

No I don’t drink it 😀

Maybe it’s Brexit come early and time to stock up on beans and bottled water? 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

What happened when you visited the lbs that you won’t go back ? You seem to have missed that part of the story.

bigwatts
    Free Member

Why didn’t you ring them first if it’s so far away?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My ‘LBS’ is 45 miles away, I sometimes go for a ride out & to be called names. Sometimes I buy something, sometimes I don’t but usually they have what I want. (Bike Scene, Guisborough)
    Your LBS sounds like shite.

Youv’e already made 2 mistakes OP. Evans & Halfrauds are NOT ‘Local Bike Shops’

akira

Did you check the store stock online first to avoid wasting your time?

spacemonkey

Did you check the store stock online first to avoid wasting your time?

Why didn’t you ring them first if it’s so far away?

^^^^
    THIS

I’ve done this many a time when in need of something same day. Item in stock = I’ll pop on down and pick it up. Job done.

Tracey

If I need something urgent and can’t source it from the spares box I always ring before I set off out. Last thing was a bottom bracket a couple of Sundays ago when I made a mess of removing the drive side one. Quick phone call to James in Rotherham and was sorted. Would never dream of turning up on the off chance they might have something in stock.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Both items are niche items in the grand scheme of things.

Pish rant.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

You an check Evans stock online which I use all the time due to the number of stores they have, check online then call to put aside you cant go wrong this way.

naffa
    Free Member

I ordered somw waterproof sox online from Evans this week. The first email said available in 2 days but please wait for an email to say they are definitely at your chosen store before journeying for them. Did you get an email to let you know the goods were ready for you?
    Tbh the couple of times Ive done this with Evans Ive had great service, its the B’ham store btw.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Evans do click and collect where they will send it to store next day. So basically user error.

geex
    Free Member

I opened the fridge this morning and saw half a pack of bacon but realised I had no rolls so went to my local shop. Only by the time I got there it wasn’t morning anymore and just as I walked in I saw a wee boy place the last two fresh rolls in a bag and into his dad’s basket. I ended up buying a sausage rolls and a pie instead. Not a bad day exactly.

scratch
    Free Member

I can sympathise with the OP, I’m careful at Evens now, I ordered a 105 chain and picked up from store, I got home to find out it had no fitting pin, or split link.

It now has a very tight join that even though I’ve tried to sort won’t become un-stiff

geex
    Free Member

@scratch
    Assuming you joined your new chain using a chaintool and are struggling to use the tool to free the stiffness from the join.
    First visually check the stiff pin you joined the chain with is showng through the outer plate by an equal amount.(if it’s not. carefully even it up with your chaintool)
    Next hold the links either side of that pin and rotate the join so that they are at 90deg to each other.
    Now keeping the plates at 90deg forcefully twist (wiggle) the narrower link both ways.
    Next rotate the join so the links are at 90deg the other way and repeat.
    Your stiff link should now rotate freely arond that pin.
    this is just a little no tools method of freeing any stiff link. Once you’re used to this method it’s easier than using the chaintool to create an even gap.

tinribz
    Free Member

My local Evans has no bike racks, I had to lock it to a street sign round the corner and walk 100 yards.

fwp

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like the OP buys online then expects local shops to have anything he might need in stock.

Go figure.

sarawak
    Free Member

OP will be happy in a couple of weeks. There will be plenty more snowflakes to keep him company.

DezB
    Free Member

My local Evans has no bike racks

Evans let you take bikes into the shop ya big silly.

Haze

People buy CO2 carts from Halfords?!

Tracey

Aldi always seem to have a stock of CO2 cartridges in the sale isle

guandax
    Free Member

I went to my local Evans after they had closed for the day. They were closed! ☹️

nealglover
    Free Member

Last time it was a single speed chain, now it’s tubeless rim tape.

Yup, both things bought by less than 0.1% of cyclists who think of Evans or Halfords as a “LBS”

trail_rat
    Free Member

Should have tried sports direct oh wait you already did bugger

ferrals
    Free Member

Always phone up if I specifically want something whether an lbs or tredz/Evans etc. However, last time I phoned tredz I got “I can’t see from here, you’ll have to come on down” 🤬🤣

singlespeedstu

This thread not going the way you though it would OP?

chakaping
    Free Member

Did they have any nice ebikes though?

srshaw
    Free Member

I have had a good experience today. I was replacing a hydraulic hose and realised I didn’t have a 7mm spanner for the bleed port. A quick trip to halfords sorted that. Then I managed to lose the olive. A quick trip to my lbs sorted that. To be honest I haven’t visited that shop since about 1995 when I bought some manitou forks for my Marin but the chap was very helpful.

rOcKeTdOg

Then I managed to lose the olive. A quick trip to my lbs sorted that.

they probably packed up and went home to celebrate after that sale. one of those every 23 years should be enough to keep them open

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Tubless tape should be in stock Shirley, at least some in the workshop?

That doesn’t exonerate the op from a good shake and ‘pull yourself together’, though.

simondbarnes

Tubless tape should be in stock Shirley, at least some in the workshop?

Not really an essential in most shops. Probably only a very small fraction of 1% of cyclists run tubeless.

rOcKeTdOg

they’ve probably got tubeless tape though 😉

iainc

I don’t think the OP needs tubeless tape, he set his wheels up without it with no complaint surely…. 😜

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I drove to Oxford this morning, circa 20 miles. I couldn’t find an Evans anywhere.

To whom should I complain?

senorj

“My ‘LBS’ is 45 miles away” eh? should that be L.D.B.S.?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you just ring a mate and ask to have some of their tape? Then replace at a later date?

singletrackmind

My local Evans has bike racks inside the shop for customers

molgrips
    Free Member

I have I think 6 bike shops I can go to in Cardiff. If I want something specific I always ring round each one and check if they have it. Due to the sheer amount of specific stuff keen cyclists might need you can’t expect shops to have everything in stock. There are thousands of low value items that might sit on a shelf for years and only fetch a few quid in profit. It’s just not worth it.

Bikes though – most people around here seem to have bikes bought from one of the local shops, so it would seem more lucrative for them to stock bikes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Top trolling from the tow path exocet to be fair….

Drac

My local Evans only sells women’s clothing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Last time I go to Evans/LBS to buy anything’ is closed to new replies.